Piper Jaffray
www.piperjaffray.com Minneapolis, MN 1000 to 5000 Employees

Piper Jaffray Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014
Piper Jaffray – San Francisco – “Piper Jaffray”

Piper Jaffray Chairman and CEO Andrew S. Duff

Andrew S. Duff

Piper pays well but doesn't care about its employees.

Investment Banking Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Piper Jaffray

ProsThe compensation and benefits are good. If you are in the midwest it is one of the few banks that is in MN so the location is good if that is where you want to be. IF you want a resume builder for the IB experience it is a decent place to be.

ConsAs with all investment banks right now layoffs are a huge concern Piper does not concern itself with its analysts or associates and barely concerns itself with vps and principals. I have seen layoffs at all levels. They don't give much effort to keeping even the good people. Senior management is not really concerned about mentoring and giving you tools to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild a team. Don't just use people for grunt work and then lay them off.

Piper a great place to work with some reservations

I worked at Piper Jaffray

ProsThe benefits, facilities, office equipment and people are great. The company even has facilities
for bicycle commuting with a card-key accessible locker/shower room. There is a nursing mothers
room as well as a room to take a nap if you're feeling under the weather and you can then go back
to work if you feel up to it. There are some sides that show the company cares for and supports its
employees. The building is recently constructed, modern, well lit and in a easily accessible location.
The work can be stimulating, interesting and there were many opportunities to learn at Piper.

ConsThere are certain cliques that if you manage to find yourself on the outside of your career will either
progress slowly or stall altogether. First impressions count for a lot. There is a certain amount of stress involved in this industry as a whole that I honestly admit I saw filter down to employees - on several occasions I saw employees exiting the building on a stretcher and some of these people
were young and in reasonable shape. Also, as layoffs occurred multiple responsibilities filtered
down to those remaining. Company takes much notice of physical appearance - if you're trim, fit,
dress well and can conduct yourself professionally you will do well. Competitive atmosphere may
be too much for some.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople can only take so much stress before they snap no matter how healthy they are.
Recognition is a good thing and some employees who I saw were doing exemplary
jobs and didn't get the recognition they deserved. In the current economy it pays to
utilize resources you may not be aware of being right under your nose - pay attention
to your workers. Some of your best resources are under or unrecognized.

Very good culture and access to deals and sr bankers.

Associate (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, KS

I have been working at Piper Jaffray

ProsGreat company. Will weather the storm better than other mid market banks. As an analyst, you generally work directly with the senior bankers on the team. In general the teamwork is better than exists with my friends at bulge bracket banks. Some very strong sector bankers. This is much more stable environment than i'm hearing from my friends at other banks in town.

ConsNot on the high end of comp compared with bulge firms. Sometimes difficult to know where you stand, but my banker has been helpful.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeem to make decisions on staffing which is short sighted. Everyone sees the need to bring in more senior talent.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work. Plan on moving to Minnapolis.

I worked at Piper Jaffray

ProsGreat fellow employees and family oriented company structure. In a high pressure industry, Piper Jaffray is a bit less stressful than other banks.

ConsMinneapolis centric. You are 'out of the loop' if you are not in Minnie. Pay scale seemed less than industry particularly in NYC and San Francisco.

Advice to Senior ManagementMeet with employees outside of Minnie. Clearly communicate expectations.

Has notable pros and cons...

Investment Banking Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Piper Jaffray

ProsOpportunity to work closely alongside senior managers and smaller, growth-oriented clientele.

ConsIt appears that the most accomplished and competent individuals sit in Minni.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a consistent internal message and execute on it.

Not a good employer at all

I worked at Piper Jaffray

ProsThe only good thing, I guess, I could recall that it was location of the building (downtown of Minneapolis) very close to everything.

ConsNot a good company to work for. First, compensation probably the lowest I've seen in comparable firms. I'm making at least 70% more now doing pretty much the same level job in operations in another bank. Second, management to say it politely, not the brightest and only interested in their own compensation and benefits. Treatment of team members is very poor sometimes even insulting. One of my former co-workers asked if he can have a personal business card issued for him. Manager just laughed him in a face. Most management is promoted not because of hard work but because of the favoritism. Not diverse environment at all. Many managers didn't even have a college degree. After they were bought by UBS they laid off pretty much all their operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if you sometimes think not just about your bonuses and backdated options but about your employees whose hard work is very often overlooked.

new and learning

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Piper Jaffray

ProsSmall Company, several locations, pays well

ConsLong hours, "figure it out" attitude

Advice to Senior ManagementWork / life balance is important

Mid-west meets Wall Street

Research Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Piper Jaffray

ProsFolksy Mid-west culture mixed with Wall Street go-getter mentality.

ConsNo negative comment. Nice place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot qualified to give senior management advice. Thank you.

Good first IB internship

M&A Analyst (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Piper Jaffray as an intern for less than a year

ProsLots of responsibility given by the team due to the lack of personnel. Exposure to comps, DCF and IM writing.

ConsLittle deal flow. A lot of the time is spent working on pitches which might never be viewed by the client. Few senior people there are very hungry for deals,

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more senior staff

Friendly working environment and you can learn much from it!

Investment Banking Analyst (Former Employee)
Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Piper Jaffray as an intern for less than a year

ProsMentor is great and is willing to help you grow in the industry. Sometimes he will take you out to meeting with clients.

ConsThe office does not have a very good organisational structure, and your work may be more about desk research.

Worked for Piper Jaffray? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Piper Jaffray reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Piper Jaffray CEO Andrew S. Duff. All 53 reviews posted anonymously by Piper Jaffray employees.