Piper Jaffray

Piper Jaffray Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Piper Jaffray Chairman and CEO Andrew S. Duff

Andrew S. Duff

Pros
  • Generally good work life balance for finance(in 4 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule, nice people, meaningful projects(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor management and work-life balance(in 3 reviews)

• Lack of client engagement and accountability on part of senior management(in 4 reviews)

Dynamic

ProsEntrepreneurial, ability to be a self-starter and lead

Consunder resourced, unclear leadership and fragmented

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in people over long term

Very good culture and access to deals and sr bankers.

Associate (Current Employee) Minneapolis, KS

ProsGreat company. Will weather the storm better than other mid market banks. As an analyst, you generally work directly with the senior bankers on the team. In general the teamwork is better than exists with my friends at bulge bracket banks. Some very strong sector bankers. This is much more stable environment than i'm hearing from my friends at other banks in town.

ConsNot on the high end of comp compared with bulge firms. Sometimes difficult to know where you stand, but my banker has been helpful.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeem to make decisions on staffing which is short sighted. Everyone sees the need to bring in more senior talent.

Great place to work. Plan on moving to Minnapolis.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat fellow employees and family oriented company structure. In a high pressure industry, Piper Jaffray is a bit less stressful than other banks.

ConsMinneapolis centric. You are 'out of the loop' if you are not in Minnie. Pay scale seemed less than industry particularly in NYC and San Francisco.

Advice to Senior ManagementMeet with employees outside of Minnie. Clearly communicate expectations.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mid-west meets Wall Street

Research Analyst (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFolksy Mid-west culture mixed with Wall Street go-getter mentality.

ConsNo negative comment. Nice place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot qualified to give senior management advice. Thank you.

Solid middle market investment bank experience

Senior Equity Research Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsNot a cut throat culture, but still pushed enough to achieve necessary tasks/goals. Flexibility

ConsPays a little below the market, though if you are a top performer, you will be well compensated. Working in the NY office makes you feel a little less part of the organization given most of the company's staff is in MN

Advice to Senior ManagementMore management leaders based in NY instead of MN

Effective introduction to the world of Investment Banking

Global Middle Office Intern (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsYou learn so much so fast, great for students with a general interest in Investment Banking. Flexible work schedule, nice people, meaningful projects. Great corporate setting to develop professional skills. Excellent compensation compared to other student work combined with a surprisingly pleasant and helpful office culture help make this company a good choice.

ConsSomewhat stressful environment and communication is difficult at some points, this comes with the job and the industry however. Internship did not include a presentation to upper-mgmt.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet clear start and finish dates.

Good M&A Experience

Investment Banking Associate (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsStrong execution focus, fun junior professionals, generalist approach allows for junior professionals to work across a number of industries

ConsLimited upward mobility, tough work-life balance, process focus makes competing for new business difficult against some industry banks.

Good, close group of employees.

Desktop Tech Support (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsA lot of good people working here, benefits are good. Company is very good with community involvement and allowing employees to focus on family.

ConsCompany needs to provide more training for tech employees. They fail to properly recognize employees who put in extra time and effort at bonus time. Tech management has too many employees for each manager to properly manage (staffing was cut too thin in 2009).

Company with morals

Investment Banking Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsSupportive environment, great co-workers, competitive salary, generous benefits package.

ConsUpward mobility stagnant for my position.

Pretty good culture, lots of hard work, a little conservative

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of junior-level responsibility, seems like good opportunities to move around within the organization. Healthcare group has a great reputation

ConsLess M&A focused, more equity deals

Worked for Piper Jaffray? Contribute to the Community!