Piraeus Consulting Reviews

Sean Clemmons

1. Microsoft Vendor - BI project specialist - enjoyed my time there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Piraeus Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment. Projects usually involve using the latest Microsoft technology, and other 3rd party tools. Great insurance coverage with zero employee deductible. Management makes that extra effort to contain stress by organizing team get-togethers, beer & pizza parties and picnics. Office located in the vicinity of Pike Place Market, lunch time can be a fun adventure. Free Orca card, gym membership & subsidized parking vouchers.

Cons

Significant employee turnover seemed to be a constant problem. This seems directly related to the ongoing restructuring at Microsoft which is a major client. 401K plan does not offer matching contributions. Bonus amounts were very low.

Advice to Management

Employee turnover is a problem that needs to be addressed. 401K match should be a standard component of benefits. Keep those impromptu pizza & beer parties going.

2. wonderful surprise

I have been working at Piraeus Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I didn't think I wanted to be a real FTE of anywhere - was looking for a 1099 gig but accepted a project thinking I'd quit. Still there several years and many projects later, riding on the interesting and varied opportunities to grow my skills, and work with great people. Safe place to fail goes a long way with me. Team tries new things, makes mistakes, owns them and learns from them. Love that I am allowed to admit I don't know or would do it differently next time and no judgment coming to me for saying that.

Cons

Company is growing fast and has real growing pains. Some processes unevenly applied, some standards needing to get clearer, internal tools are getting some investment now but behind the curve of when needed. I know the team is working on these things but still really looking forward to when more of this is all in place.

Advice to Management

Keep reminding all the new folks as they join that our culture is collaborative and safe to learn. I'd hate to see this compromised as the company grows.

Was great until it was terrible.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Office looks good. Many of the people working there are hard working, smart, and fun. Sans management, it really did feel like a family. Free snacks.

Cons

Ended up doing significantly more work than I was initially hired for (with pretty much no pay raise) to later be told I had not done "enough" by my absentee manager. Not many chances to renegotiate compensation. Way too Microsoft heavy.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility and be involved in what your teams are doing. Don't let sales keep selling all that easy MS money if you don't want to be considered a staffing firm. Don't condescend to your employees. Also, stop padding out not quality review with overly positive ones (who legitimately asked "How about Ping Pong?").

Outstanding place to work!

Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Piraeus Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Piraeus does a fantastic job of taking care of its employees, and it shows in the decisions that they make. Its a highly-collaborative environment where everyone is always ready to assist with an issue or ongoing project. The end result is a progressive and contemporary workplace culture that fosters an enjoyable and relaxed office setting, but one that clearly values and encourages the best possible results from everyone.

Cons

PTO for new employees is on the low end.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower your employees. It's extremely powerful and makes everyone feel valued.

6. Friendly Environment

Current Employee - Washington in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Washington in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Piraeus Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, perks, belief and support from ownership, talented consultants

Cons

growing pains since we are growing so fast

Some great parts, some not-so-much

Current Employee - Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Piraeus Consulting full-time

Pros

Lots of great friendly co-workers, free snacks/drinks, dog-friendly, casual dress in the office (more business professional on client site). I enjoy being in the office.

Cons

Benefits and compensation aren't anything to brag about, most people make below market and there's no 401k match. The CEO will absolutely never accept blame for anything. Ever. Even when he should just to save face. There is always a chance that you'll get staffed out to Microsoft and never see the office or your Piraeus co-workers. Development practice is out of date: only Microsoft stack (not many new frameworks or languages), no code reviews, no design cycle, no quality assurance process. Developers are expected to test their own code but hardly ever given enough time to do true unit testing. As a result, buggy products are shipped, but great news - then the sales team can sell a version 2! Sales team is only good at selling to Microsoft and to existing clients. As much as we spout the words "true consultancy" and "workshop consulting", we are at our core, a Microsoft vendor and staffing company.

Advice to Management

Don't be condescending or opposed to criticism. I know lots of employees have offered critique on how things are done, and those people were either let go or sought other opportunities because that change was never going to happen. If we aren't a staffing company, then stop accepting jobs where it's quick easy money to just stick a body in a seat in Redmond. ACTUALLY SELL workshop consulting, rather than just trademarking the word and ignoring it.

Great Experience for Professional Growth

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Piraeus Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The Workshop Consulting model allowed me to learn from a vast range of individuals on a regular basis and see how to approach a problem from a variety of different perspectives. I learned more technical skills than I thought I would ever use. These skills have been help me add a huge amount of value to my current role.

Cons

If you're not interested in working hard, don't bother applying. The work can be difficult and you'll be expected to learn new skills regularly.

Advice to Management

Love the snacks, free drinks and Xbox in the break room. How about ping pong?

Great Atmosphere and Opportunities for Growth

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Piraeus Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Stocked break room - Incredible mentors - Resources to help you learn a variety of different skills both through on hands training and supported online learning. - Seasonal parties - Great compensation package - Exposure to a variety of business groups across industries throughout Seattle - Strong support from management to give you the tools you need to succeed

Cons

- Team only gets to come together one day a week - Low starting compensation

Advice to Management

I'm excited for the growth of the company as we drive the consulting arm of our business and move away from staffing. Buy an espresso machine (plain coffee is getting old)

Have to say, this company rocks.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Piraeus Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Been with the company a little less than a year and it's been really great- I keep waiting for the 'catch', but I haven't found it yet. I am actively recruiting my friends to come work here with me, it's that good. - Management is transparent, has a quirky/fun side, and encourages (and implements!) input. - Benefits are good, the health insurance plan is awesome. - The company is steadily growing- the Seattle office just doubled in size to accommodate. - Employee advancement/promotion is based on ability rather than politics. - The Piraeus office is dog-friendly.

Cons

Still looking for the cons.

Advice to Management

Keep doing that voodoo that you do so well... and possibly consider adding an office chef to the staff ;-)

This is how a company is run.

I have been working at Piraeus Consulting full-time

Pros

Smart people that are driven to execute and put the best product in front of the customer. Clear vision from upper management of goals and what the future of the company looks like. One of Washington’s top 100 companies to work for, for the past 5 years.

Cons

I have no cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Just continue with the transparency it is great to know what the goals and future holds

RSS Feed </> Embed