www.pb.com

Updated December 12, 2014
2.8

Pitney Bowes CEO Marc Lautenbach
Marc Lautenbach

Pros
  • Work from home is available making good work life balance (in 59 reviews)

• Company pays well, good benefits, growth opportunities (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management didn't seem to listen or cre about all of us front line workes (in 26 reviews)

• Entrenched senior management in India (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

At one time a great company to work for, until the attack of the bean counters.No longer is the client first, just words

Current Employee - Field Systems Specialist
    Current Employee - Field Systems Specialist

I have been working at Pitney Bowes full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable work enviroment, decent benifits. You can go as far as your talent will take you in the company depending on how much of your life you are willing to give up.

Cons

The company has become compartmentalized. Each Business Unit trying to squeeze as much revenue from each other at the cost of the client. Raises are done on a Bell curve at the insistance of higher level management. Every individual in a managers group could do an excellant job, but some would have to be scored low and others high to meet accounting goals. Higher level management has implemented automated systems that control our daily jobs that is inadequate and incorrect for our company. Any negitave feedback is ignored or met with termination in some instances. The highest level management has recently been selling off or outsourcing our Divisions.This results in job insecurity and fear for the future of Pitney Bowes.

Listen to your front line customer facing employees. They can tell you what is going on. Management at manager level and above have become indifferent, isolated and just tow the line whatever the fact are. They just provide the facts that want to be seen. When I started, most of the employees had over 20 years, now there seems to be a high turnover and loss of technical knowledge.

A company that has given me many opportunities

I have been working at Pitney Bowes full-time

Pros

Great people, if you are willing to work hard you will have a lot of opportunities, the company is making much better decisions than it did 5 years ago

Cons

Low pay for front line employees

Less politics, be more transparent to clients and employees, make sure the people in senior leadership positions are making good decisions for the company and not their personal benefit, Really look at the compensation structure for front line employees,

Pitney Bowes Software, Boulder CO

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Pitney Bowes full-time

Pros

First rate group of Software Engineers and Architects

Cons

Still has the bureaucracy you'd expect from a company of it's size

Good company to work for. Pay and Benefits are competitive

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Brisbane, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Brisbane, CA

I worked at Pitney Bowes full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The training is great. They give you the opportunity to further your career by providing tuition reimbursement.

Cons

A little difficult to transfer to another department

Management needs to be a little more agressive in getting new contracts.

Ok place to get experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Pitney Bowes full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You will get a lot of experience with electro mechanical equipment. Worked there for many years

Cons

Was not able to move around and learn more sites and equipment. Once I excelled I was not allowed to leave that site. Was told by the DM we should be happy we have jobs

Let your people grow.

Hard working, loss of focus

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in New York, NY

I worked at Pitney Bowes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company as a whole is very good. There are some great people that propel them forward and some workers that really out their best foot forward.

Cons

Conversely, upper management makes many decisions that do not have the customer's best interest in mind. There are many decisions that are made based on the bottom line that affects customer support and satisfaction.

Poll your customer base before making decisions that are going adversely affect their support. Do not let the sales team dictate the future of the company. Sales is the backbone, but support and innovation is the bread and butter.

Once a great company, no longer able to maintain relevance

Former Employee - Major Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Major Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Pitney Bowes full-time

Pros

I would say the best thing is their remaining employees on the front line. Tenured folks that have done a lot over the course of time for the organization and have maintained the company existence to even be any what relevant today.

Cons

They have no direction, mid to upper management are empty suits that are doing what they have to do for their own existence in the short term. Very much who you know company. For anyone trying to go into this organization as a new hire, I highly recommend running as fast as you can the other way. Unless you are one of the "Relationship" long termed employees, they don't put you in a position for success and will crumble you up and spit you out without any dignity. The core function of getting close to the customer isn't in any part of culture. The organization has everyone scared and is a miserable environment that doesn't allow for true creative ideas to grow again.

Learn some of the basics of today's environment and figure out innovation is the key to the organization. The fact that you haven't developed anything innovative out of your own resources should be a sign. If you took a minute to understand and empower thought, I believe that you will find that a lot of very intelligent people could offer some wonderful ideas to different topics. You haven't taken a minute to understand this and/or really understand much pass today.

Working for pb

I worked at Pitney Bowes

Pros

None, just can't think of any

Cons

No loyalty to employees. They disregard years of service when it comes to layoffs and local managers choose there favorites to keep, even tho there skill levels are way below the ones laid off

Go by seniority , reward those that have been thru thick and thin

I worked at Pitney Bowes

Pros

Name recognition, been around for a long time, market leader, huge territories if people are willing to work.

Cons

There's always a push to sell transactional business (postage meters) and complex solutions. They have reorganized their US Mailing operation multiple times over the last 2-3 years and nothing seems to stick.

Lower quotas. You keep building comp plans that are so unrecognizable that only the people that have loaded territories (if you really look at this and compare vs. those that don't have loaded territories, you will see this) can succeed. When 30% of your sales force or hitting target and you are the market leader, it's pretty obvious what is going on.

One of the best companies to work for as far as talent and management

Former Employee - Senior Area Sales Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Area Sales Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at Pitney Bowes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

How much fun the people where and the caliber of the people were.

Cons

Industry is having it's problems.

Start hiring again