Pitney Bowes

Pitney Bowes Reviews in Shelton, CT

Updated Mar 12, 2014

Pitney Bowes CEO Marc Lautenbach

Marc Lautenbach

Pros
  • Work life balance is very good - not much work or deadline pressure(in 55 reviews)

• Company pays well, good benefits, growth opportunities(in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Entrenched senior management in India(in 21 reviews)

• Unfortunately the support system from upper management did not coincide with this message(in 20 reviews)

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great People, Interesting Work, Decent Management Overall

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Shelton, CT

ProsStarted as a co-op and gradually climbed the ladder to a senior level software position. Worked in R&D, but also worked on some infrastructure projects when necessary. Was exposed top notch experts in many fields, as well as multi-disciplinary teams where everyone was respectful and learned from one another. Had access to tools we needed when we could justify it.

ConsSenior management was too risk adverse and failed to pursue many recommendations from R&D, in retrospect they wouldn't be on their current downward slide if they had realized mail won't last forever and diversification was necessary to maintain growth. The "strategic transformation" of several years ago gutted much of the senior level, talent which decided to take package rather than go down with the ship.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some risks and it looks like you'll bounce back.

The people was nice, the work was challenging but interesting.

Security Developer (Former Employee) Shelton, CT

ProsNice office, with gym facility.

ConsSituated in a very remote area.

Great while it lasted but I was caught up in a massive reorganization in 2010. Loved working there.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Shelton, CT

ProsGood benefits. Plenty of resources available to get your job done.

ConsEven after the reorganization, management is still top heavy.

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten up, there's still way too many chiefs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Many changes, not sue what will happen. The new CEO is good, but the company mentality needs change.

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Shelton, CT

ProsGood work life balance, but with exceptions.

ConsOld company, old products, old politics, resistance to change.

Pays well, but depressing climate

Software Development Manager (Former Employee) Shelton, CT

ProsPays well, decent benefits, pretty flexible work schedule, great co-workers

ConsContinuous layoffs (they got rid of the fat a long time ago, so now every cut is into the muscle),
    very hard to get promoted unless you jump business units at a minimum,
    PB are the leaders of a dying industry,
    management jumps all over to the crisis of moment or big idea of the day - haven't figured out where to take the company next,
    don't count on bonuses - they are based on company performance measured against unrealistic goals & they grade on a curve so even if everyone in a group are A players, have to be 1's/2's, 3's and 4's/5's

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at products on the shelf created by old AC&T, stop trying to make numbers through layoffs, soon there won't be anyone left.

Great Opportunity, Company is still stuck in the 'corporate' world of churn and burn.

Inside Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Shelton, CT

Pros401K, Benefits - its a classic 9-5 job

ConsMajority of Management is 'recycled' from other departments. Hardly ever brought new, young, or energetic people into positions that could make a change. Too many 25+ year employees who are set in their ways. Competency of these individuals is inadequate for growth as they do not foster new ideas or promote change.

Hours are set 9-5.

If you ignore the chaos around you, and focus on the job and appreciate the benefits, you are good.

Inside Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Shelton, CT

ProsBenefits. 401K. Spiffs. Beneplace employee discounts. Tuition reimbursement.

ConsChaotic upper management. Slow reaction to market demands. Ineffective training and product knowledge for solutions beyond postage meters.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hate it that you let me go. But one has to wonder why is inside sales being downsized after field sales has already been diminished. Who is going to sell all those solutions?

Pitney Bowes - an 'ok' place to work on balance and in an environment where good jobs are hard to find

Director Procurement (Former Employee) Shelton, CT

Prossome wonderful people, but rare. lot's of potential, but it can feel like a slowly sinking ship as mail volumes and reltated service decline - maybe the new CEO can turn things around

Conslots of mediocrity and and politics and senior management not help accountable (that may be changing)

Going, Going, Going.....GONE!!

Project Engineer (Former Employee) Shelton, CT

ProsPB was able to enjoy a nice long run of 90% USA marketshare of cash cow products in a cash cow industry... mailing machines. That meant good salaries for managers, sales, marketing, and some tech employees.

ConsIts all over. PB tried to get into other areas of business when they saw the end coming for the mailing industry. But it was all too late. They have now laid off the majority of their Engineers and the stock has tumbled. No improvement in sight.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe find a new company to milk for a while.

It was a great company to work for until the last decade or so. Executive mismanagement created continuous layoffs.

Support Staff (Former Employee) Shelton, CT

ProsGood benefits and salaries. Some jobs offer work from home option. Nice perks, e.g., team building events, rewards and recognition,etc.

ConsToo many layoffs due to poor management and out sourcing. layoffs not uniform--loss of good workers with seniority and/or over 50.

Worked for Pitney Bowes? Contribute to the Community!