Pitt Ohio Express

Add Photos

Chuck Hammel III

Internship at PITT OHIO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe company truly adopts a family atmosphere and is staffed with employees who are willing to help. The environment is very relaxed and uses and "open door" policy. Weekly pay instead of bi-weekly is a plus.

ConsAn apparent disconnect/communication issue between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to adopt PITT OHIOs current company culture.

Great Company, Great Benefits, Wages are Lower End

Supervisor/Management (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe people are great, the benefits are fantastic and I would recommend other people to work at Pitt Ohio Express.

ConsLow wages are not competitive in the region or across the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to get together and see one vision on the growth and success to move the company forward. There is too much bickering and not enough getting along. If they could come together as a team, Pitt Ohio Express would be unstoppable in the transportation industry.

Within my department it was extremely positive.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsHealth insurance. My coworkers were like family.

ConsCommunication from the HR department was disjointed and unorganized.

Advice to Senior ManagementPITT OHIO had a great culture.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fine for the average Joe.

Dockworker (Current Employee) Harrisburg, PA

ProsDecent wages
    Growing company with very stable work flow
    Excellent benefits
    Getting fired is next to impossible (???)
    Company will bend for you a little if you need it

ConsCompany is tired and entrenched in "the old way"
    Cognitive resources are extremely limited
    If your not a Hammel (owner) or know him you'll find it irrationally difficult to move up
    Family/friends move up
    Most decisions are emotionally motivated and entirely reactive
    management communication mostly resembles siblings at the dinner table

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you seriously wish to compete with the "big boys" I would suggest a complete change in culture, top down restructuring of management philosophy along with the personnel that perpetuates this inequitable and archaic management style, and a complete redesigning of the current labor model. Pitt-Ohio is a fine example of a company blinded by it's own success.

It was a great experience

ProsYou get paid weekly and great supervisors

Conscold in the winter and hot during the summer

going down hill fast!!

Truck Driver (Current Employee)

Prosdecent pay. that is it!

Conszero retirement, and as of the otherday, our health insurance has been gutted by ownership! turing into a socialist company. i would avoid!

Advice to Senior Managementsell while you can, because what your doing to it will sure cause it to soon sink!

Great place to build a career but don't stay too long

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe Owner is a fantastic human being who really cares about every person that work for him.
    Very flexible work environment ( work / life balance is exceptional)
    Alot of really nice people
    In most circumstances you will have a job as long as you want one and you have the opportunity to build you skills and career.

ConsVery little leadership at the management level. Alot of people are in positions they are not qualified to fill they have just been there forever.
    They really dont know what to do with high performing people. Alot get frustrated and walk out the door and no one seems to care all that much.
    There are no outsiders in the management circles thus no new ideas

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to regain your edge bring in some sharp talent from the outside to make changes in Operations. It is a very tight knit group of good old boys who have been doing business the same way for the last 30 years and a change is way overdue

GOOD PLACE TO WORK.

City Driver (Current Employee)

ProsGood pay. Free health insurance, and Great benefits. Home everyday. Company seems to do everything possible to avoid layoffs during periods of slowdowns. Paid vacation.

ConsLittle to NO retirement. Company only just began funding profit sharing again. 4% not 6 now. If on bottom of seniority its hard, or impossible to get decent vacation time. Plan on weeks in March, or Oct, Nov, or Dec, you wont see a summer vacation, Pitts vacation scheduling policy is horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter get this retirement thing figured out or you may need to look into some help wanted ads, also need to fix vacation scheduling policy so everyone can have a chance for a summer vacation to spend with their children.

Depends greatly on who your manager is

Pros100% Employer Paid Benefits, Flex Scheduling, 401 K, No Dress code, laid back culture

ConsSome managers will give you instructions on how to complete a project yet when their manager is dissatisfied with it, they'll act as if they had no clue it was being done that way, even though they worked beside you on the project. Promotions are given based on favortism rather then qualifications and work ethic. Also, nothing you tell a manager here is confidential. It spreads like wildfire. Men tend to get paid a higher wage then women in the same position.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen a job becomes available, post it everyone to apply and pick the most qualified candidate. When a employee comes to HR, all questions and concerns should be kept confidential. Have managers back up their costs vs revenue when taking on new projects. We waste alot of revenue by just doing random projects that don't benefit the company.

Pitt Ohio

Dockworker (Current Employee)

ProsGood wage, hard, honest work. I have been here for about a month and so far it is pretty much how I thought it would be. Mgmt is supportive, supervisor is fair.

ConsSome of the young "guys" on the dock don't really pull their weight. The frentic pace mid shift is a little hard to keep up with
    Dock lights to light up trailers don't work

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the lights so we can see inside the trailers

Worked for Pitt Ohio Express? Contribute to the Community!