Pittsburgh Glass Works

James D. (Jim) Wiggins

Not employee friendly

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Pittsburgh Glass Works full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

401(k) program was adequate, corporate headquarters were modern

Cons

A lot of turnover and not enough opportunity to advance for dedicated employees, No internal job postings

Nurture the talent that you have rather than bringing someone off the street that uses PGW as a stepping stone toward a different position and restarting the hiring process again after 1-2 years.

Fast Paced Environment with GREAT people

Former Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Pittsburgh Glass Works full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at PGW. I have seen some of the negative reviews and could not disagree more. Like any company you will have those that can't or don't want to work hard. The leadership never asked me to do something they weren't willing to do themselves. I loved the challenge and the fast paced work. The compensation levels were strong as well.

Cons

The work can be fast paced which is not for everyone.

Keep adding strong employees

Former Branch Manager

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Pittsburgh Glass Works full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This job, yes I meant job, not career, was something good to put on the resume. Learned a lot about how it is to work for a bean counting upper management. Insurance was pretty good.

Cons

Absolutely NO support from upper management. When problems arose that were above my head I was instructed to reach out to fellow managers by my territory director. Mg td seemed to have no idea of what he was doing.

There needs to be more support offered to the managers on the front lines who are responsible for upholding the company image.

hard worker, fast learner , highly producer

Current Employee - Production Worker Or Operator in Altoona, PA
    Current Employee - Production Worker Or Operator in Altoona, PA

I have been working at Pittsburgh Glass Works full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I like the atmosphere even working hard we can mix it with the fun and challenge

Cons

getting the number on our lines some times is hard due to some machines glitch

encourage the hard worker with some bonus appreciation and more focus on the less production employees

An absolute disgusting company to work for!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Crestline, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Crestline, OH

I have been working at Pittsburgh Glass Works

Pros

It is a weekly paycheck and the union is slowly improving.

Cons

Holidays? What are those? While all of upper management spends all of the holidays off with their families, you will be at work. Overtime is forced so much, that you are lucky if you get your days off, off. Completely incompetent supervision that gets constantly shuffled around. The plant manager is a bully with zero respect for anybody at the plant, especially production employees.

Shape up because soon, you are going to ship out. Treat your production employees way better than you do, or else the extremely high turnover rate is just going to continue.

clowns trying to lead clowns

Former Employee - Production in Crestline, OH
    Former Employee - Production in Crestline, OH

I worked at Pittsburgh Glass Works full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good place to work.the comedy relief happens many times a day.these clowns haven't a clue about manufacturing,but it sure is fun!

Cons

12 hour shifts leave little time for R&R.management looks down their funny round red noses at under paid,under trained workers.

take some real business classes.go to any collage and hire all new H.R.people.

Work on Christmas Day and Thanksgiving Day

Current Employee - Inspector in Tipton, PA
    Current Employee - Inspector in Tipton, PA

I have been working at Pittsburgh Glass Works full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a steady paycheck if you need one. It's a good entry level job to put on your resume.

Cons

Management doesn't care about the employees or their families. They are only interested in profitability and producing a low cost product. I have seen over one thousand temps come and go over the last 9 years at my facility. They feel they have an endless supply of workers and that anyone can do these technical jobs for $9/hr. How do you suppose our quality is?

Come in to work on Christmas morning so your family can enjoy the day without you.

You are only a body to fill a spot.

Current Employee - Production in Evansville, IN
    Current Employee - Production in Evansville, IN

I have been working at Pittsburgh Glass Works full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

lol....... yeah right.......Can't think of any. 12 hour, shifts 4 crew rotation, be ready to give your life to a co. that don't care about you or your family.

Cons

Turnover rate high, not only in the office but on the floor as well. Always working with new and un-trained people.
    Co thinks you can take anyone off the street and they can do the job, with out training.
    Most supervisors have less than 2 years time in the plant. Don't need to learn there names...they are not there that long....

Get some management !

Broken Business Model

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN

I have been working at Pittsburgh Glass Works full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If there are any pros to this job, it's the experience to add to a resume and the abundant amount of problem solving you will need to do.

Cons

Short sighted upper management and antiquated policies. You are required to turn a turd into a diamond and receive nothing more than a "counseling" session because you didn't allow upper management to take the credit.

I would advise anyone seeking a job here to look elsewhere. The pay is not worth the chaos that envelops your well being

All of upper management needs to realize that they are not always right. Open your ears, help develop your supervisors and nurture your workforce rather than ridicule and publicly humiliate them everyday.

The only way this company will be as successful as it wants to be is to get rid of the top guy, Wiggins, award management that actually solves problems rather than award management that always accepts praise when not warranted.

The dumb leading the new.

Current Employee - Employee in Crestline, OH
    Current Employee - Employee in Crestline, OH

I have been working at Pittsburgh Glass Works full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of overtime. A lot of comical relief.

Cons

Constant turn over and shuffling of floor supervision. Management that has to be clue less. People in HR making day to day shop floor decisions. A plant manager that thinks he is going to beat people into submission with childish and disrespectful comments. Constant process changes that do little to help.

Clean house in management and try and promote people off the floor if you want supervisors that have a clue as to what needs done to right this ship. One positive comment is more effective than 100 butt chewings.