Pitzer College Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Laura Skandera Trombley

1. "The Pit" Cafe Cook/Expo Cook/Prep Cook (McConnel Hall)

Former Employee - Expo Cook/Prep Cook in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Expo Cook/Prep Cook in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Pitzer College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to know executive management for the school on a first-name basis. Very respectful to all staff; regardless of education level and financial status. I loved being rewarded for being "green"; they added $1.50/day for each day that I rode a bike, carpooled, took a bus or got dropped off at work. Very cool! I felt I received good mentoring from Executive Chef, Dennis Lofland and GM Michael Becuet; I would work for them anytime, anywhere. Good benefits...but when you make $10/hour and change, I lose almost half of my pay to benefits. :^/ Great Food. Free meals. I was given the responsibility of overseeing the Work-Study participants. It was great seeing these students get a culinary education...man can they eat! I liked how our kitchen competed against the other 5 campuses to win over students from other schools which means more revenue for the winning campus. We out performed the other schools often, but only upper management realized a bonus for that.

Cons

Low Pay: Starting Pay ranges between $10.06 and $10.50...even if you have 8 years of experience. NOT COOL. That's what they were paying Culinary School Grads back in 2001!!! If they paid 100% of the benefits...I'd be more willing to take less $, but as it stood, I was paying out $175 per paycheck for benefits for a family of 4. Slow Promotion Path: It takes about 6-10 years to get a serious promotion. Some BS Politics. Long-term employees and women are prioritized. That's just what I've observed...I once saw an arguement between a male co-worker and a female co-worker; the chef told the man, "...do you want to be right, or do you want to keep your job?" That made me wanna go...."hmmmm."

Advice to Management

No kitchen politics. Please offer a higher starting wage to experienced staff. Consider offering a bonus or profit-sharing to the team. Consider 100% paid benefits for at least spouses and one child. You have staff that have been loyal for over 20 years and its tough for them. so hard must it be for new people?

2. Okay Place to Work for Work Study

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Claremont, CA

I worked at Pitzer College (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, Kind people, Good Environment.

Cons

Workplace politics, How skewed the payscale is between workers (EG the President who makes more than most wealthy tech company CEOs and gets a free farewell tour on the school's dollar and the lowest service workers who caring loyal people), The wide gap between the values of the college and how they treat some workers!

Advice to Management

Treat service workers better and cut the pay for higher up Professors and the President. Provide better work study jobs. Provide a better budget for more research assistant positions.

3. Writing Instructor

Current Employee - Writing Instructor/Tutor in Claremont, CA
    Current Employee - Writing Instructor/Tutor in Claremont, CA

I have been working at Pitzer College (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic students and autonomy to present lessons creatively.

Cons

Short-term employment. Aquiring full-time status is challenging.

Advice to Management

Strive to bring a collaborative interdisciplinary emphasis to the programming.

5. Changing for the worse

I have been working at Pitzer College full-time

Pros

Good insurance/healthcare benefits, classes available to employees (health and fitness or academic classes), interesting environment, great students, a university that really "walks the talk," get things done, and has national recognition.

Cons

Low pay even when experience and education level is significant, frequent and rapid turnover, but despite this, often very minimal chance to move up unless you stay with the school for an extended number of years (and by that time, you'll have probably moved on anyway), poor employee morale, few staff members resulting in a few staff members taking on a job that would be better handled by many more people, management is old-fashioned.

Advice to Management

I have seen many competent employees who could have elevated the school's programs with the right compensation and treatment on the job, leave for greener pastures. It's time to look at unfair and outdated management practices, find out where the real productivity of these positions stands, and make some changes. A few years ago, this place wasn't quite as bad. The pay was still low, but the treatment was much better. You need to value your employees, their skills, and provide them with opportunities for growth or they will be heading out the door, as they have been doing frequently as of late. It's a shame that a school with such wonderful, big ideas is losing key staff members because of the pettiness of management.

6. avoid this place like the plague!!

I have been working at Pitzer College full-time

Pros

Located in a cute suburban college town.

Cons

Very unprofessional place to work.

7. Resident Assistant

Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Claremont, CA
    Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Claremont, CA

I have been working at Pitzer College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Passionate staff and students who are all incredibly hard workers. Every individual I encounter is on a mission to make a positive impact on the greater community.

Cons

Not enough resources to support staff, which has lead to overworking and ultimately a high turnover rate. Many staff appear to be demoralized and floundering in work; not because of their capability to complete it, but because of the sheer lack of resources and insufficient staff that should be at their disposal.

Advice to Management

Push even harder to encourage administration to reallocate resources in order to create a healthy workload for Pitzer College staff. This will substantially increase productivity, leading to more satisfied students and parents, which produces greater opportunity for parent and alumni donations as well as better word-of-mouth marketing for the school. (I'm even disregarding other clear benefits such as aligning with the school's values and creating happier employees)

8. A good place to work but if you are ambitious you would soon grow out of it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Claremont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Claremont, CA

I have been working at Pitzer College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Easy to maintain work life balance, generous perks/benefits.

Cons

Below market rate salary, lots of inefficiencies, leadership issues.

Advice to Management

Assuming compensation and benefits are more or less frozen, making things more transparent would help.

9. Work-Study

I worked at Pitzer College part-time

Pros

You get to work while in school.

Cons

A lot of the jobs are not exciting.

10. There were good times and bad times, but overall it was a good learning experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Claremont, CA

I worked at Pitzer College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are great, including carpool incentives, tuition remission, medical, dental, vision, etc. There is a sense of community here.

Cons

Pay for service positions is low. The typical political games. It is very difficult to advance your career here, though it can be done.

11. Office Assistant

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Claremont, CA
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Claremont, CA

I worked at Pitzer College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Faculty and Relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Only minimum wage as a student

RSS Feed </> Embed