Pivotal Labs Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.0
Rob Mee

Pros
  • Amazing culture, work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• You learn at an accelerated rate due to pair programming every day (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Pair programming with a not-so-great partner (in 4 reviews)

• There is little opportunity for career growth outside of the traditional tracks (in 2 reviews)

Amazing workplace!!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Pivotal Labs (More than 3 years)

Pros

The biggest pro for Pivotal in my opinion is the people. Everyone is helpful, kind and knowledgeable. I have been a fan of extreme programming and agile methodologies and Pivotal is really 100% about that. It influences every aspect of your day. Management makes sure that employees are heard and invest in continuous improvement of the office.

Cons

Work/life balance is great in the sense that you'll never ever have to work overtime but the work hours are more strict. You start at 9am and leave at 6pm. Exception are rare. I'd much rather work from 8am to 5pm.

Advice to Management

Transparency. Doesn't matter how good it is, it is something we should always be aiming for.

Good: people and culture, bad: onboarding

I worked at Pivotal Labs

Pros

The people are wonderful! Catered food is delicious! Typical tech company perks. Everyone around you seems to want you to succeed, which isn't always the case at larger companies. Energetic, creative environment. Great work/life balance! Did I mention how awesome the people are?

Cons

Contracting and on--boarding process is lengthy for no apparent reason. Seems to pay under market for non-engineers compared to similar companies.

Advice to Management

Use contracting appropriately. Stop undervaluing your employees! Pay market rates. Make the on-boarding process more efficient.

Truly Agile/Lean; breath of fresh air!

I have been working at Pivotal Labs full-time

Pros

- Casual environment, focus on work and getting things done, not appearances, "status", etc. - Good and "full set" of benefits available - "Endless" vacation (work done? notifying well in advance? sure, take the time you need.) - Competitive salaries - SMART & EXPERIENCED co-workers - TRULY get and practice agile/lean, using paired teams for client "bring along" knowledge transfer.

Cons

- no parking/transit plan - open air office can sometimes be a bit disruptive/loud

A place to learn and grow

Current Employee - Pivot in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Pivot in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Pivotal Labs full-time

Pros

- variety of projects and stacks - the option to work on oss - do the right thing, do the thing right - amazing food - stable hours - vacation policy...

Cons

Pairing for 8 hours a day can be difficult to get used to. I slept 10 hours a day my first 2 months, but now I have more energy and can communicate better than ever.

Advice to Management

Make sure that junior developers have the knowledge and breadth to work on any project.

Great time to be at Pivotal

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Pivotal Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, great culture. It's refreshing to be at a place that really values doing things the right way, and continually re-evaluating how to improve everything from the processes that are the core of its software consulting business, to the little things that make a difference to the people doing the work each day. While the core values of extreme programming are still very much the heart of the culture, the company is still doing new and interesting things with Pivotal Inc's Cloud Foundry Platform as a Service Product, and Pivotal Lab's foray into design, product management and data science consulting services.

Cons

The strict 9-6 schedule can be a drag sometimes, particularly when you have to fight rush hour traffic in LA.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge the risk in these new product and service ventures not only financially, but also culturally. Keep working on encouraging transparency and honest communication as it'll continue to be a challenge as the company grows.

Going downhill in order to IPO

I worked at Pivotal Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great place to learn depending on who you get to work with and what client project you get put on.

Cons

Everyone is leaving / has left, so there aren't many senior people around to learn from. Retention is a huge problem and management can't figure out how to get people to stay. Clients are all at the enterprise level, no start-ups. It's all about the IPO and to put it in agile terms - the company is taking on way too much 'debt' to IPO that it might to be able to recover from.

Advice to Management

Figure out what it is to retain your employees. The tech industry is only getting more competitive and salaries are going way up. Your compensation is no longer in the playing field. Focus on the employees, so that if you IPO there are still people around to do the work. Focus on the few great people you do have remaining. Quality over quantity.

Awesome

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Pivotal Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities to grow and learn a vast array of skills, especially now that we develop cloud foundry and related technology. Pair programming is awesome, you learn a ton. You will be a better developer than 99.9% of people out there after 1.5 years at labs.

Cons

A lot more enterprise consulting than we used to do. The strict 9-6 schedule can be hard sometimes.

Advice to Management

Keep a good mix of startup and enterprise. Really have the back of your pivots on enterprise projects, they're not just like the startup projects where a solid anchor can succeed with a good pair by just churning through stories. Really emphasize the core practices to new hires and maybe give them a more structured way of learning some of the fundamentals to labs.

Awesome company to work for, but not for me. Is it for you? Maybe, and if so, it is an incredible place.

Current Employee - Developer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Developer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Pivotal Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very smart coworkers. Good agile practices. You'll learn a ton.

Cons

For me, the full-time pairing and fixed hours got to be a serious drag, even though I think it's a huge strength for the company itself and the employees who can deal with it. I'm an introvert, and after a couple of months I just couldn't take it any more. However, that's just how Pivotal Labs does it -- I don't hold it against them. So, in the end not for me, but it might be for you. Due to the nature of Pivotal's practices, I ended up feeliing that I truly was merely a cog in a giant machine (or a "Pivot" as the company terms it). Nothing wrong with that for many people, but not my bag after experiencing it for a while.

Great place to work, awesome colleagues, great leadership

Current Employee - Engineering Manager
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager

I have been working at Pivotal Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/Life balance, the folks you work with.

Cons

None to speak of. First place I've ever been able to say that.

Culture is now different since becoming part of Pivotal.

I have been working at Pivotal Labs (More than a year)

Pros

Pairing and learning with like minded folks. Good food, breakfast cooked by chefs in the morning is a big perk, so big I gained weight!

Cons

Rapid expansion and changes which sometimes do not scale.

Advice to Management

Keep team sizes manageable, culture is also about keep the team morale up.

RSS Feed </> Embed