Pivotal

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Paul Maritz

Great Company with Great Products

Senior Field Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe People, The Technology, The Offices, the Benefits, The Products, The Culture.

ConsNone worth mentioning, adding SSO between EMC and Pivotal would be cool

Advice to Senior ManagementMake on-boarding a little more streamlined. Add free online training (MOOC) for our awesome products to developers.

Chaos of a start up, BS of a big company, false promises of pay for performance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCutting edge technology, really smart people. Typical start up perks - great snacks, nice breakfast. Launchpad to opportunities in better companies.

ConsElitist. Too hierarchical (like a big company). No growth or mentorship invested in high potential employees(like a start up). If their goal was to have the best of both worlds, right now it looks like they have achieved the opposite.
    Miss some good people, but otherwise glad to have left for a better role. Judging by the recent sliding ratings and the number of employees reaching out, its seems I am not alone in my opinions.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much credit taking and too little doing. Too much cronyism and favoritism. Too many who have learned to thrive on the backs of others. You have a serious culture problem.

Moving forward quickly

ProsEstablishing leadership in cloud independence and big+fast data.
    Bigger vision than big-data-only vendors.
    Career path can be diverse, you make a mark and then you choose.
    Great people to work with, very active and helpful internal social network.
    Free breakfast and free lunch every Tue. Everything Apple (unless you don't want it)!
    Learning new things everyday!

ConsStill in the process of getting itself established in parallel with EMC - i.e. sales channel, PSO, network, HR, etc. This could be a double-sided sword depending on how you view it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

High energy environment, values people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat people. Interesting products and technical challenges. This is a highly collaborative environment with engineers working closely in a large open, airy space. Working here is intense, but only from 9-6. The culture here is informal and fun.

ConsPivotal has only been around as a single entity since April 2013. Prior to that, the various groups that make up Pivotal belonged to at least 4 different companies.

As with any company that formed from multiple different corporate entities, different parts of the company often have wildly different cultures. The part I'm in is awesome: highly collaborative, low drama, low politics. Unfortunately not all parts of the company are like that. I do, however, believe that as the overall corporate culture emerges it is increasingly like the part I work in: no nonsense, people- and productivity- focused.

Advice to Senior ManagementI became aware of the reviews on glassdoor because we had a candidate decide not to pursue a job here because the reviews were "polarized." I think we should pay attention to the negative reviews here and take the feedback to heart. It seems that there are some things we could be doing better.

Good potential but suffering big growing pains

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsGood work/life balance, smart people, good technology

ConsLong hours since you need to do everything yourself. On boarding process is ok, but ongoing training/support is minimal. Technology is solid, but there isn't much differentiation so it's extremely competitive. Great services (PDL and PL) but we're not incented to sell them while making a transition to a real software company. Sr. Sales Management filled with ex-EMC sales management ... enough said.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it easier to make money during the transition to becoming a software company. It's a long sales cycle unless you are lucky to have installed accounts. Recognize and reward the long slog.

chaotic and demanding environment - startup ? seriously?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfree food not cooked fresh but brought in for free with very little taste
    shiny laptops

Consopen environment..
    disparate systems from VMWARE, EMC - need to integrate in order to be successful? is it possible?
    would data sharing from the companies be beneficial to both parties? probably not...

Advice to Senior Managementtoo many disparate views and strategy, have a single minded and synthesized strategy to handle integration and growth, if not, IPO path is already looking...

Creative Environment

Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsThe largest factor I've come across in working here at Pivotal has been creativity. I've had the ability to build and launch new programs and projects that would take ages to implement at other companies. Once the management staff provides the high level goals, employees come together to own and launch the solutions. Opinions and ideas are very well received, while micro-management is at a minimum.

ConsAs people and programs have come over from EMC and VMware there has sometimes been a slow transition in thinking and process improvement. Pivotal is moving at startup speed and some of the staff need a little more time to ramp up and get on board with some process/system changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to your employees. We work on the ground level and know a thing or two.

An awesome company with lots of opportunity.

ProsThis is an exciting environment, with a unique blend of start-up energy combined with excellent leadership and a proven set of products and solutions. This company may only be a year old, but the "parentage" of EMC and VMware ensure that is also has the stability of a longer established company. The opportunity feels BIG! The culture is exciting and everyone's willing to jump in and help as needed. The office environment is very Google-esque and allows for some interesting perks.

ConsIt's very long hours and lots of moving parts as the company settles into a groove and steadies its go-to-market strategy and all supporting teams/elements.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in what's needed to support the GTM plan.

Poor people management

ProsFree breakfast, nothing more to say...

ConsSalary is not competitive. Lack of people management.

Advice to Senior ManagementHear more voice from engineers, not managers.

Everyone Rowing in Different Directions

R&D (Current Employee)

ProsEMC as a parent is a solid company, so benefits, salaries, HR policies etc are good.
    Has one of the best Data Science teams in the business (but not sure how it will be monetized).

ConsBeware of Pivotal recruiters recently giving this company high ratings!

CEO has great vision, but the executives below him aren't following it. CFO has great ideas how to make the stock worth something, but the product teams and services groups aren't doing/building the right things to make it happen.

Product teams are concerned about their open source brands (Cloud Foundry, Spring) more than the long term viability of the company.

Politics unbearable because of internal competition - each technology group has different ideas about product direction or which open source product to build on top of.

Company is likely to run out of money and shed employees soon because of the cost of a huge sales force that has nothing competitive to sell.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that everyone is aligned to a vision that will sustain the company.

Worked for Pivotal? Contribute to the Community!