Pixar

Updated August 4, 2014

3.5

Pixar President, Pixar and Disney Animation Studios Ed Catmull
Ed Catmull

Pros
  • Great people, wonderful Stories, work with the founders of the industry (in 9 reviews)

• Tries hard to enrich employees with great benefits and perks and eduction (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, but definitely worth the effort you put in (in 5 reviews)

• Living in the Bay area isn't too cheap (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

42 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Mixed bag

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Pros

Pixar produces a great product, and employs a lot of dedicated people. Great facilities, great parties, great film screenings.

Cons

Slow dissolution of culture, perks and benefits since the Disney merger. Fewer opportunities to advance, less reward for good service. Very little loyalty between upper management and staff. Directors and studio management regularly hold company meetings espousing inclusiveness and willingness to take risks, but then regularly turn their backs on top talent.

Support and nurture your creative contributors instead of dismissing them.

Great place to works

Current Employee - Software Engineer (Technical Director)  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer (Technical Director) in Emeryville, CA

Pros

cooperative working environment, for a starter you can end up learned a lot

Cons

position is pretty much fixed

maybe give people more flexibility

Amazing internship opportunity

Former Employee - Intern  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Emeryville, CA

Pros

Pixar's internship program- marketing, computer science, and artists alike, attracted the best and most creative from around the country, and they gave all of us plenty of free cereal, mocha lattes, and fun while we learned.

Cons

There didn't seem to be much mobility- it seemed like many of my full-time co-workers were going to be doing the same thing for literally years as Pixar perfected it's movie making machine. The decision making seemed very concentrated at the top.

Keep your intern program going- it was awesome. Compensation and paid for housing was also amazing benefit.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing place to work!

Current Employee - Lighting Technical Director  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Lighting Technical Director in Emeryville, CA

Pros

In all my years of working here they have always let me put my family first, production second. I have never had an issue with a sick child or an early pickup or whatever. That is an amazing thing to have as a parent. I have learned so much from all the truly talented artists and engineers. I feel lucky to have this job every day I walk in the door.

Cons

The company is no longer growing in size. Therefore, with such a young workforce, upwards mobility is difficult.

Find a way to give accolades to those who are in the trenches. Small cash bonuses, a day off at the end of the production, something to signify the contribution went beyond the expected. with the upward opportunities being few, they need to make those at the bottom feel good about where they are.

Everyone I work with is super talented and smart. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Technical Director  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Director in Emeryville, CA

Pros

It is a good job for the most part. Great environment, lots of perks like free movies, interesting guest speakers...etc

Cons

It is a great job, but might not be a great career. Not a lot of opportunities to climb up for the artist/technical blend of TDs.

Excellent product and people, Corporate is pushing it...too hard?

Former Employee - Assistant Editor  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Emeryville, CA

Pros

Let's face it, one of the top animated story houses in the world. The culture is strong, and a lot of very smart and thoughtful people put their best forward, working hard to produce great work. Excellence is expected and is delivered.

Cons

After numerous successes, there's a pressure to follow a proscribed formula. But formulas go against the grain of truly creative and groundbreaking work. There have been layoffs of long-timers, it's hard to know why or if it's a matter for concern but may be. It would be nice if there were better public transit options as well.

Incredible company that's slowly falling from greatness

Former Employee - Software Engineer/Quality Assurance Engineer  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer/Quality Assurance Engineer in Emeryville, CA

Pros

Incredible company values. In all my time there I felt like upper management truly believed in their statement that the success of the company was based on the freedom of everyone on the team to make good decisions on their own.

Cons

It's tough to stay on top after 25 years. Pixar has been stacked with amazingly talented people for years. Unfortunately in recent years some of those people have become complacent and are not as driven and innovative as they once were. Also, with increasing pressure from Disney to make sequels it's harder for the workforce to be excited about the product.

I have mixed feelings for Pixar; loved the extracurricular activities but management did not allow much growth.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Pros

Access to newly released movies are great. I loved the wrap parties that were given for the release of each new Pixar movie. The artists were knowledgeable in their craft which could be animation, modeling, and/or special effects.

Cons

Leadership is not as open to diversity as one would expect. Directors, management, and team leads are 90% old boys network. The animated movies are not showing the cultural diversity that we have in this world.

Be open to cultural diversity for leadership and in the stories.

Amazing, strong culture

Former Employee - Pixar Undergraduate Intern  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Pixar Undergraduate Intern in Emeryville, CA

Pros

>Great culture, talented people, a studio that really cares about story and workers.
    I didn't feel too much hierarchy even as an intern, everyone is willing to collaborate to make the film better. I had the impression that the company has a really open culture environment and encourages communication within and out. There are many perks given to the interns and great learning opportunities

Cons

>high living cost compared to the salary
    Living in the Bay area isn't too cheap.
    Another thing i would say is that when I talked to one of the workers, he said that it's hard to expose yourself to different areas as everything here is very specialized and structured.

I had a great experience at Pixar and hope this healthy culture continues to grow

Reasonable working hours, ok salary

Current Employee - Graphic Designer (Layout Artist)  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer (Layout Artist) in Emeryville, CA

Pros

Fun projects keep going. Nice people and culture

Cons

Salaries are not satisfying compare to living expense in bay area

Worked for Pixar? Contribute to the Community!