Pixar

Updated January 26, 2015
3.7

Pixar President, Pixar and Disney Animation Studios Ed Catmull
Ed Catmull

Pros
  • Great people, wonderful Stories, work with the founders of the industry (in 9 reviews)

• Tries hard to enrich employees with great benefits and perks and eduction (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, but definitely worth the effort you put in (in 6 reviews)

• Living in the Bay area isn't too cheap (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

intern

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Pixar as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

good for student to start their career

Cons

kind of intense and tight schedule

Organize and Regroup

I worked at Pixar

Pros

Many amazing, friendly people and talents at work in a bustling community.
    On - site benefits.
    Unmatched Tech support and computer geniuses!

Cons

Low pay in all positions accept executives, and top production staff (i.e. producers, directors, talent).
    No room for growth.
    Internal struggles, and egos spoil what could be a great community of artists and progressive staff.

Don't hire the industry people with horrendous egos. (Mires the productions as a whole)

Raise the salaries.

More Accountability, Less 'Friends ' :
    Keep on top of, or fire, the employees who have truly poor organization (i.e. offices with important documents strewn, etc.) Being a relaxed studio environment is one thing, but having a few employees, in key positions, who can't perform basic functions to keep desks and offices organized, with vital studio and or private employee information in heaps of disarray ......isn't that bad? Not just for security but to actually accomplish work on time and increase productivity?!

'Tenure' and friendships aside, if there is time to take advantage of all the wonderful on - site benefits and classes, there surely must be time for simply organizing.

The artists are 'supposed' to be the disorganized, habitually late, and messy ones, not the people who handle the administrative, business side, contracts, $$$$$$$$.

-- Ex-Admin

Great company, benefits, and culture.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Pixar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company and work culture, including benefits, personal growth, overall environment, and much less politics to deal with than in your average corporate office. Working alongside some of the most talented people in the world, is nothing short but the best opportunity for personal growth, including the amazing Pixar University and all the classes it offers. If you work hard, give it all, and have a positive attitude towards your co-workers, you will find the best possible job in the industry at this company.

Cons

The only cons I found during my time there were the smaller salaries compared to your industry average, and the thick glass ceiling. It's extremely tough to move up the ladder to seek new opportunities for career growth and be challenged regularly.

Fantastic Interview Process

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Pixar full-time (less than a year)

Pros

After interviewing with several other companies, Pixar was by far the most professional with prompt correspondence and well planned interview schedules.

Cons

No cons so far with the company. The only difficulty is finding a place to live nearby that's decent and affordable!

Overworked at Pixar

Former Employee - Technical Director in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Director in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Pixar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best people in the field of computer graphics and animation congregate here.

Cons

Inexperienced technical leadership, poor work/life balance.

Pixar needs seasoned technical executives brought in from other industries to lend a steady hand and visionary technical leadership. The work output of Pixar is tremendous, and the pride of the employees is rightfully deep. Stature in the industry of former employees is very high, with excellent ability to transition to other studios and other industries. Having good Pixar experience on one's resume still today commands considerable respect.

Relaxed, positive, respectful working environment, but long hours and low salaries.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Pixar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No suits! No need for an expensive, uncomfortable wardrobe. Jeans and sneakers everyday of the week. Really friendly work environment. Great benefits and fun perks.

Cons

Leadership is not very supportive of or open to job sharing or working from home for working parents with babies and young children. Long hours. Low-ish salaries, unless you're at the top. Staff lacking diversity.

Mixed bag

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Pixar full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pixar produces a great product, and employs a lot of dedicated people. Great facilities, great parties, great film screenings.

Cons

Slow dissolution of culture, perks and benefits since the Disney merger. Fewer opportunities to advance, less reward for good service. Very little loyalty between upper management and staff. Directors and studio management regularly hold company meetings espousing inclusiveness and willingness to take risks, but then regularly turn their backs on top talent.

Support and nurture your creative contributors instead of dismissing them.

Amazing

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Pixar as an intern

Pros

It was such a great experience to work with most amazing and talented people. The office is beautiful and very comfortable, i always felt like I'm at home. Good benefits, life work balance, management - everything is great!

Cons

I cant really tell any cons, everything looks great to me. I will be pleased to work there again.

Fantastic overall environment; culture and morale in Tools is iffy; fairly severe place for an intern

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Pixar as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

There were awesome perks simply from being at the Studio: in-house screenings of in-progress Pixar films; access to presentations on incredible in-house graphics research and development; it was like a graphics nerd's candy store.

People are intimidatingly smart, but very friendly. It's possible to interact and collaborate with people from all across the Studio if you take the initiative.

In Tools itself, software quality standards were quite high, which provided an excellent learning opportunity for me, fresh as I was from college; I learned a lot from meeting the standards of the build and version control check-in system and from passing regression test suites, from one-on-one in-person code reviews with my manager and other engineers, and from many other mature professional practices in place.

On the whole, it was an excellent place to cut my teeth in the real world, out of college.

Cons

The culture in the Tools department where I worked was a little too serious, with an undercurrent of dissatisfaction and malaise.

It didn't feel like the Tools department (or maybe just my team) had really planned, prepared and organized for having interns around. I don't expect to be babied or hand-held as an intern, but in retrospect it seems very much that since I wasn't just a rock star from day one, I became an afterthought. My manager was friendly and open, but when I did need feedback and direction I often found he was simply too busy, would forget to get back to me, or it would be too late for me to be efficient. Other engineers were friendly and willing to answer questions, but they often couldn't help with issues specific to my team, and my manager wanted to do some review and feedback work personally, so he wound up making himself a bottleneck.

I don't know how things have evolved in Tools since I left, but from my time there, I would say to find a way to lighten up a bit; foster, encourage, and welcome much more chat, interaction, and camaraderie among engineers. Granted, my time came as Tools was just starting to come over the hump of a massive software project that users were only finally starting to like and see the value of, so Tools had been taking a beating for a while. But hopefully that grim mood hasn't had to continue.

Great place to works

Current Intern - Software Engineer (Technical Director) in Emeryville, CA
    Current Intern - Software Engineer (Technical Director) in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Pixar as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

cooperative working environment, for a starter you can end up learned a lot

Cons

position is pretty much fixed

maybe give people more flexibility