Pixar Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
3.6

Pixar President, Pixar and Disney Animation Studios Ed Catmull
Ed Catmull

Pros
  • Great people, wonderful Stories, work with the founders of the industry (in 9 reviews)

• Tries hard to enrich employees with great benefits and perks and eduction (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, but definitely worth the effort you put in (in 5 reviews)

• Living in the Bay area isn't too cheap (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Relaxed, positive, respectful working environment, but long hours and low salaries.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Pixar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

No suits! No need for an expensive, uncomfortable wardrobe. Jeans and sneakers everyday of the week. Really friendly work environment. Great benefits and fun perks.

Cons

Leadership is not very supportive of or open to job sharing or working from home for working parents with babies and young children. Long hours. Low-ish salaries, unless you're at the top. Staff lacking diversity.

Amazing

I worked at Pixar as an intern

Pros

It was such a great experience to work with most amazing and talented people. The office is beautiful and very comfortable, i always felt like I'm at home. Good benefits, life work balance, management - everything is great!

Cons

I cant really tell any cons, everything looks great to me. I will be pleased to work there again.

Mixed bag

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Pixar full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pixar produces a great product, and employs a lot of dedicated people. Great facilities, great parties, great film screenings.

Cons

Slow dissolution of culture, perks and benefits since the Disney merger. Fewer opportunities to advance, less reward for good service. Very little loyalty between upper management and staff. Directors and studio management regularly hold company meetings espousing inclusiveness and willingness to take risks, but then regularly turn their backs on top talent.

Support and nurture your creative contributors instead of dismissing them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic overall environment; culture and morale in Tools is iffy; fairly severe place for an intern

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Pixar as an intern for less than a year

Pros

There were awesome perks simply from being at the Studio: in-house screenings of in-progress Pixar films; access to presentations on incredible in-house graphics research and development; it was like a graphics nerd's candy store.

People are intimidatingly smart, but very friendly. It's possible to interact and collaborate with people from all across the Studio if you take the initiative.

In Tools itself, software quality standards were quite high, which provided an excellent learning opportunity for me, fresh as I was from college; I learned a lot from meeting the standards of the build and version control check-in system and from passing regression test suites, from one-on-one in-person code reviews with my manager and other engineers, and from many other mature professional practices in place.

On the whole, it was an excellent place to cut my teeth in the real world, out of college.

Cons

The culture in the Tools department where I worked was a little too serious, with an undercurrent of dissatisfaction and malaise.

It didn't feel like the Tools department (or maybe just my team) had really planned, prepared and organized for having interns around. I don't expect to be babied or hand-held as an intern, but in retrospect it seems very much that since I wasn't just a rock star from day one, I became an afterthought. My manager was friendly and open, but when I did need feedback and direction I often found he was simply too busy, would forget to get back to me, or it would be too late for me to be efficient. Other engineers were friendly and willing to answer questions, but they often couldn't help with issues specific to my team, and my manager wanted to do some review and feedback work personally, so he wound up making himself a bottleneck.

I don't know how things have evolved in Tools since I left, but from my time there, I would say to find a way to lighten up a bit; foster, encourage, and welcome much more chat, interaction, and camaraderie among engineers. Granted, my time came as Tools was just starting to come over the hump of a massive software project that users were only finally starting to like and see the value of, so Tools had been taking a beating for a while. But hopefully that grim mood hasn't had to continue.

Great place to works

Current Employee - Software Engineer (Technical Director)  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer (Technical Director) in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Pixar as an intern for less than a year

Pros

cooperative working environment, for a starter you can end up learned a lot

Cons

position is pretty much fixed

maybe give people more flexibility

Amazing internship opportunity

Former Employee - Intern  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Pixar as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Pixar's internship program- marketing, computer science, and artists alike, attracted the best and most creative from around the country, and they gave all of us plenty of free cereal, mocha lattes, and fun while we learned.

Cons

There didn't seem to be much mobility- it seemed like many of my full-time co-workers were going to be doing the same thing for literally years as Pixar perfected it's movie making machine. The decision making seemed very concentrated at the top.

Keep your intern program going- it was awesome. Compensation and paid for housing was also amazing benefit.

Amazing place to work!

Current Employee - Lighting Technical Director  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Lighting Technical Director in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Pixar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In all my years of working here they have always let me put my family first, production second. I have never had an issue with a sick child or an early pickup or whatever. That is an amazing thing to have as a parent. I have learned so much from all the truly talented artists and engineers. I feel lucky to have this job every day I walk in the door.

Cons

The company is no longer growing in size. Therefore, with such a young workforce, upwards mobility is difficult.

Find a way to give accolades to those who are in the trenches. Small cash bonuses, a day off at the end of the production, something to signify the contribution went beyond the expected. with the upward opportunities being few, they need to make those at the bottom feel good about where they are.

Everyone I work with is super talented and smart. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Technical Director  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Director in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Pixar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It is a good job for the most part. Great environment, lots of perks like free movies, interesting guest speakers...etc

Cons

It is a great job, but might not be a great career. Not a lot of opportunities to climb up for the artist/technical blend of TDs.

Great People, future?

Current Employee - Graphic Designer (Set Dresser)  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer (Set Dresser) in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pixar part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great People/Cluture. And good work/life balance.

Cons

People are getting picky, because they thing they work for some kind of welfare organisation.
    But it's true, Pixar may makes good money, but the future doesn't seems so bright.

Find a new Steve Jobs

Excellent product and people, Corporate is pushing it...too hard?

Former Employee - Assistant Editor  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Pixar as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Let's face it, one of the top animated story houses in the world. The culture is strong, and a lot of very smart and thoughtful people put their best forward, working hard to produce great work. Excellence is expected and is delivered.

Cons

After numerous successes, there's a pressure to follow a proscribed formula. But formulas go against the grain of truly creative and groundbreaking work. There have been layoffs of long-timers, it's hard to know why or if it's a matter for concern but may be. It would be nice if there were better public transit options as well.

Worked for Pixar? Contribute to the Community!