Pixar

Pixar Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Pixar President, Pixar and Disney Animation Studios Ed Catmull

Ed Catmull

Pros
  • Great people, wonderful Stories, work with the founders of the industry(in 9 reviews)

• Tries hard to enrich employees with great benefits and perks and eduction(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, but definitely worth the effort you put in(in 5 reviews)

• Living in the Bay area isn't too cheap(in 4 reviews)

Great place to works

Software Engineer (Technical Director) (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA

Proscooperative working environment, for a starter you can end up learned a lot

Consposition is pretty much fixed

Advice to Senior Managementmaybe give people more flexibility

Amazing internship opportunity

Intern (Former Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsPixar's internship program- marketing, computer science, and artists alike, attracted the best and most creative from around the country, and they gave all of us plenty of free cereal, mocha lattes, and fun while we learned.

ConsThere didn't seem to be much mobility- it seemed like many of my full-time co-workers were going to be doing the same thing for literally years as Pixar perfected it's movie making machine. The decision making seemed very concentrated at the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your intern program going- it was awesome. Compensation and paid for housing was also amazing benefit.

Amazing place to work!

Lighting Technical Director (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsIn all my years of working here they have always let me put my family first, production second. I have never had an issue with a sick child or an early pickup or whatever. That is an amazing thing to have as a parent. I have learned so much from all the truly talented artists and engineers. I feel lucky to have this job every day I walk in the door.

ConsThe company is no longer growing in size. Therefore, with such a young workforce, upwards mobility is difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to give accolades to those who are in the trenches. Small cash bonuses, a day off at the end of the production, something to signify the contribution went beyond the expected. with the upward opportunities being few, they need to make those at the bottom feel good about where they are.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Everyone I work with is super talented and smart. Great place to work.

Technical Director (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsIt is a good job for the most part. Great environment, lots of perks like free movies, interesting guest speakers...etc

ConsIt is a great job, but might not be a great career. Not a lot of opportunities to climb up for the artist/technical blend of TDs.

Great People, future?

Graphic Designer (Set Dresser) (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat People/Cluture. And good work/life balance.

ConsPeople are getting picky, because they thing they work for some kind of welfare organisation.
    But it's true, Pixar may makes good money, but the future doesn't seems so bright.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a new Steve Jobs

Excellent product and people, Corporate is pushing it...too hard?

Assistant Editor (Former Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsLet's face it, one of the top animated story houses in the world. The culture is strong, and a lot of very smart and thoughtful people put their best forward, working hard to produce great work. Excellence is expected and is delivered.

ConsAfter numerous successes, there's a pressure to follow a proscribed formula. But formulas go against the grain of truly creative and groundbreaking work. There have been layoffs of long-timers, it's hard to know why or if it's a matter for concern but may be. It would be nice if there were better public transit options as well.

Incredible company that's slowly falling from greatness

Software Engineer/Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsIncredible company values. In all my time there I felt like upper management truly believed in their statement that the success of the company was based on the freedom of everyone on the team to make good decisions on their own.

ConsIt's tough to stay on top after 25 years. Pixar has been stacked with amazingly talented people for years. Unfortunately in recent years some of those people have become complacent and are not as driven and innovative as they once were. Also, with increasing pressure from Disney to make sequels it's harder for the workforce to be excited about the product.

I have mixed feelings for Pixar; loved the extracurricular activities but management did not allow much growth.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsAccess to newly released movies are great. I loved the wrap parties that were given for the release of each new Pixar movie. The artists were knowledgeable in their craft which could be animation, modeling, and/or special effects.

ConsLeadership is not as open to diversity as one would expect. Directors, management, and team leads are 90% old boys network. The animated movies are not showing the cultural diversity that we have in this world.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to cultural diversity for leadership and in the stories.

Amazing, strong culture

Pixar Undergraduate Intern (Former Employee) Emeryville, CA

Pros>Great culture, talented people, a studio that really cares about story and workers.
    I didn't feel too much hierarchy even as an intern, everyone is willing to collaborate to make the film better. I had the impression that the company has a really open culture environment and encourages communication within and out. There are many perks given to the interns and great learning opportunities

Cons>high living cost compared to the salary
    Living in the Bay area isn't too cheap.
    Another thing i would say is that when I talked to one of the workers, he said that it's hard to expose yourself to different areas as everything here is very specialized and structured.

Advice to Senior ManagementI had a great experience at Pixar and hope this healthy culture continues to grow

Reasonable working hours, ok salary

Graphic Designer (Layout Artist) (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsFun projects keep going. Nice people and culture

ConsSalaries are not satisfying compare to living expense in bay area

Worked for Pixar? Contribute to the Community!