Pizza Express Reviews

1. awesomeness

Former Employee - Phone Person in Sitka, AK
    Former Employee - Phone Person in Sitka, AK

I worked at Pizza Express

Pros

just a awesome place to work..

Cons

cant think of anything that was bad

Advice to Management

=) keep on keep on!!!

2. Hard work and low pay but great people and a real sense of being part of a team.

Former Employee - Pizzaiola in Bury Saint Edmunds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Pizzaiola in Bury Saint Edmunds, England (UK)

I worked at Pizza Express

Pros

Time flies at Pizza Express. As a chef in the kitchen, I was rarely without something to do and when the place is busy it's literally hours between glances at the clock which, with the rather menial work, I found a huge bonus. I liked the people I was working with and the factory line system of the kitchen gave great satisfaction to the work you did. Plus, if something went wrong or got a little over done, put back it went for us chow down on at our leisure. The informality of it all was great, like working with a bunch of friends.

Cons

Very long hours. I was in a fully staffed kitchen and was regularly doing fifty five hour weeks. There's not a great deal of time for life outside of Pizza Express and it really shows in the people who work, as like I have already said are all friends. Whilst I did get on with some people there very well, I did also find it made for a bit of an in group/out group dynamic for new starters and it could be a bit wearing for someone who just wanted to get on with there work to be subject to the social aspect of the role and the general judgement of other people. I also found the training scheme for people in the kitchen was poor and it was difficult for me to progress to the next pay band when the head chef was regularly going on holiday and the other chefs weren't in a position to train me.

Advice to Management

Deal with any staff social issues quickly and professionally. Stick rigidly to the training program for chefs and do regular assessments if they are not progress as they should be. Also, keep the place light and friendly because that's rare and you've got a great balance between friendly and happy but still efficient and effective staff.

3. Love for pizza's

Current Employee - Trainer Waiteress in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Trainer Waiteress in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Pizza Express full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Best people you'll ever meet work here, chefs are amazing, good is fantastic, great atmosphere

Cons

Very very long hours, very busy, management isn't as helpful at all, minimum wage

5. Undignified and Unpleasant

Current Employee - Cleaner in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Cleaner in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Pizza Express part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get a free pizza if you work over four hours in one day, but you have to ask your manager and they often have a problem with it so you feel like a dog asking for scraps so I stopped bothering to get free pizza in the end. It’s also a paid job, but the wages are very low.

Cons

Almost everything is a con, but I’ll start by mentioning the dreadful pay – they won’t even pay me £6.50 because I’m only 20 and you have to be 21 to get that mere £6.50 (and I sincerely hope I’m not working there when I’m 21), which I understand is legal, but for a company which sells a basic margarita pizza for about £8.00 they can probably afford to pay people proper wages. The managers treat the staff in the most vulgar fashion and treat them with absolutely no respect and expect so much from everyone and watch over us like a hawk – they are also condescending and power crazy and seem to think that the best way to get their staff to work is by intimidating them and making us work in fear. In the interview they tell you that they are happy to work the rota around you, but I always find myself being made to work on days and times that I specifically said I didn’t want to or actually couldn’t do due to more important obligations (such as job interviews for other workplaces) and you only get to view the weeks rota for the first time a couple of days before meaning you can’t plan anything in advance. If you can avoid it do yourself favour and avoid, avoid, avoid. Also after three months you have to give a four weeks notice which is far too much for such a menial and degrading job.

Advice to Management

Value your staff and human beings and not machines programmed by terrible wages. Stop caring more about looking after the “Secret Diner” more than looking after the welfare of your staff and stop taking plates of garlic bread up to your office and taking two cigarette breaks an hour and than having the temerity to walk over to the staff and tell them they are not working fast enough. Try to understand that nobody wants to work for your company and they are only doing so to get some money (and you don’t even do that properly). And understand that the staff have other obligations and don’t want to devote all their time to you and if you are just a little bit fair and sympathetic they might not mind sticking around, but if you take your staff’s dignity away then they are going to be miserable – it’s as simple as that.

6. best people i have ever worked with, lots of chances to progress

Current Employee - Chef in Horsham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Chef in Horsham, England (UK)

I have been working at Pizza Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

exceptional organization allowing anyone who wants to progress to move foward

Cons

a better compensation for the graduated chefs (seniors, back of house trainers)

7. Enjoyable workplace

Former Employee - Waiter in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Waiter in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Pizza Express part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very energetic, friendly and pleasant working environment.

Cons

Frequent high pressure situations and long hours.

8. Worst job I've ever had.

Former Employee - Waiter in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Waiter in London, England (UK)

I worked at Pizza Express part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Sometimes
    Got free food on the shift. Throughout your training you get anything from
    The menu, However the managers are very keen for you to eat after your shifts and not give you breaks on them.

Cons

Poor salary, huge divided between back of house staff and waiters. Long hours, no breaks unless you smoked, chefs refused to make food on occasion, very stressful environment, not worth the hassle
    Or aggrovation in the slightest.

Walked out and will never return.

Advice to Management

Bulldoze the store and start from
    Scratch. A handful of great employees who were fun to work with and offered food assistance and advice while
    Training.

Stop being so focused on sales targets and drilling people into working themselves to the bone for 6.50 an hour, and actually consider whether they are enjoying their time at work or genuinely wanting to be there.

Shocking job, and a firm word of advice to anyone seeking employment, make sure you are totally prepared to be treated like an absolute c* for not much in return.

9. Fun company, you get what you put in

Former Employee - Waitress in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Waitress in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Pizza Express part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Tips, uniform, staff food, music, social

Cons

Work schedule, us vs them between kitchen and front of house staff

10. Worst marketing department ever

Former Employee - Brand Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Brand Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Pizza Express full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free Pizza, great brand, decent bonus, young energetic team.

Cons

Poor benefits (holiday, pension), long hours, no flexible working. Very high staff turnover, poor team moral. No strategy.

Advice to Management

Put some training practices in, get rid of all the senior people and recruit some worker bees. Too many managers and not enough doers. Sort out the strategy.

11. Loved working as a waiter at Pizza Express, nice dynamic working environment!

Former Employee - Waiter (Front of House) in Bath, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Waiter (Front of House) in Bath, England (UK)

I worked at Pizza Express part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Loved earning my own cash tips (which on a friday or saturday could rack up very nicely), and really enjoyed engaging with customers!

Cons

I was often underpaid, so make sure you count your hours and your credit card tips!

Advice to Management

Need to note down hours and tips more accurately

Pizza Express Photos

Pizza Express, Stratford-upon-Avon (Photo thanks to Geograph user Jaggery, Some Rights Reserved)
Pizza Express, Taunton (Photo thanks to Geograph user Jaggery, Some Rights Reserved)
Pizza Express (Photo thanks to Geograph user Dave Pickersgill, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo