Pizza Hut UK

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jens Hofma

36 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun and fairly good money

Front of House (Current Employee)
    Bournemouth, England (UK)

ProsHours are flexible and same with time off. Both staff and customers are friendly.

ConsIt can often be very busy

Pizza Hut has been an idea job for myself as it is cash in hand whilst being an enjoyable working environment.

Waiter (Current Employee)
    Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

ProsWorking front of house is beneficial mostly for the tips as I can live of this. Most people who work in the store are in the same position as myself, i.e. students, and this makes it enjoyable as we all have a lot in common. It is also quite a flexible process to get shifts covered as well as time off, whilst easy to pick hours up if needs be.

ConsWhilst it is easy to pick hours up most of the time, being on a zero hour contract means there is very little job security and when the staff is full hours are drastically cut and it can be diffciult. There is also very little chance of progression and outside of being a part time job, it would not be feasible to work there full time. There is also little reward. Whilst expected to meet GES targets there is little reward for actually doing so and seems mainly to be for the managers bonuses. The marking criteria for GES is also not very accurate, front of house being dragged down for poor food quality is ridiculious.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider changiong the marking/grading criteria for the GES. Look to install some more opportunities for progression within the companies. As a recent graduate working within the companty before I finished university the option of going on a graduate scheme would be extrmely appealing. Make more rewards for the staff, like partnerships with other companies so as to get discounts or other perks.

Busy, but fun when you have a good team

ProsTeamwork! The team is a big friendship group and generally help each other out and have fun together inside and outside of work. Tips are generally good FOH and its great you can build a rapport with your tables and keep your own tips. Once your are confident in your training its really enjoyable to make people smile and look after as best you can. Transferable jobs across the country.

ConsLong hours and hard work for a low wage particularly in the kitchen as they don't get tips. Management wages are far too low for all the stress and long hours they have; you get much more as a waitress with the tips! Getting randomly timed shifts on a weekly basis so you can't plan ahead. Split shifts can often be a nuisance.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think more recognition for hard-working team members, particularly managers would be beneficial to help staff feel appreciated and noticed. Monetary bonuses would most likely be well received e.g. parking or transport fees paid for for a week or something.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good staff, bad managers

Team Member (Former Employee)
    Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsAll staff members are good fun and hardworking, all are willing to go the extra mile for you and their customers

ConsManagers are more concerned with profits than looking after staff, they sit in the office all day and don't come out unless it's to pull you up for something

Advice to Senior ManagementTell managers to be more staff focussed than profit focussed

Fun to do but little job satisfaction and poor 'bullying' management.

Waiter (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsLove talking to the customers and the job itself is not hard. Not bad tips either. Free food on occasions.

ConsManagement is appalling. Obviously cannot deal with the pressure of head office and then takes it out and bullies the staff (and even other management). Feel so belittled as do the rest of the staff. Surprised some people even have the job. Plus only minimum wage and have to 'fight' to get shifts - obvious favouritism/sexism at work.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't bring home-problems to work and realise that keeping employees happy is as important as keeping customers happy. Employees who are stressed/angry at their management will pass this on to their customers.

Where to find your family.

Cross Trained Team Member (Current Employee)
    Bournemouth, England (UK)

ProsPizza Hut UK is a family. I know that i'll go into work and see someone who I get on with which makes the job not only more fun, but easier as everyone is willing to help each other out. Managers respect team and vice versa, great stuff! Regular training and coaching updates mean I stay informed. Good recognition scheme

ConsNo tips for BOH! Some huts try to get FOH to donate and then split tips between BOH but it's not enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at raising the wage again for BOH and Cross-trained team members. Consider actual tills with change perhaps, instead of FOH carrying change in a bumbag, have one central till, even if it's in BOH or the office. I think it'd make life easier and cashing off simpler. Give managers more flex with ours and more hours to schedule. It's better to over-schedule and cut back hours than schedule too little staff!

really good place to work where managers apriciate your effort

Host, Waiter (Former Employee)
    Birmingham, England (UK)

Pros-Tips (if you are a waiter
    - Free drinks
    - Free small pizza after 4 or 5 hours of work
    - Flexibility'
    - Friendly staff
    - badges and extra free food after wining some kind of competition
    - Whatever comes out new on the menu we get to try it first
    - When you are too busy people WILL help you without asking (at least in my first and last Pizza Hut)
    - Opportunity to become a managers if somone wantst (good waiters get payd more then managers by the way)

Cons- Sometimes it can get too busy and too hard if you are put on double section and its full
    - Stressful
    - You have to get dirty some times
    - Customers that are never happy and complain for no reason (that isnt Pizza Hut's fouls by the way)
    - Peopple that leave horrible mess after they leave
    - Not enough hours
    - Sometimes hard to get a break

Advice to Senior ManagementIn my opinion there should be put a little more focus on planning breaks by managers. I had days when I was working full day and my manager was pushing my break to the point where i just finished 20 minutes earlier and not getting paid for it.

Good place to work if you have good, reliable management

Front of House Staff (Current Employee)
    Weston-super-Mare, England (UK)

ProsI have been employed as a waitress for six years now so the job itself comes easy to me if we have all the resources like the staff and all the food products.
    It is a small team of people so there is a feel of good team effort when we've had a busy shift and everyone is pulling their weight.
    It is great that as a server you don't start your shift until at least 12pm so you always have work-free mornings.
    We get to keep our own tips, so if you work hard, you will most likely get rewarded with good tips.

ConsMistakes by the managers back fires on the staff like when they haven't got an extra server in to help when we have a big party table, or we are missing certain food products.
    Manager likes to hire young students (lower wage) and because its often their first job, they sometimes lack confidence, initiative and common sense which can lead to problems with customers. After very basic training and a computer test the managers let them struggle their way on their own, when they need more coaching rather than throwing them in the deep end in the first week.
    Benefits? What benefits? I know of none.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many goals/targets/challenges. Every shift we are told two focus points (such as interact with customers and be visible on the floor), we are given a personal target (such as upsell 5 cookie doughs), we have to try to get as many Sign up forms filled out as possible, we have to tell every customer about the Guest Experience Survey and we are marked on 4 areas (Happy/Helpful, Pace, Cleanliness & Food Quality) and we have to remember what our individual scores are in these areas for each period, as well as the region's targets for all of them, and we need to think of what we can do to improve in any weak areas.

Shift work cannot be more fun than at Pizza Hut!

Waitress (Current Employee)
    High Wycombe, England (UK)

ProsFlexible hours, if you cannot work a certain day, providing you give enough time in advance prior to the day you want booking off, it is very easy to get the shift covered.
    Good team spirit, good pay.
    Holiday pay is easy to take when required.

ConsCustomers, but the managers do really help dealing with this and it all comes with the job

Hard work for little outcome

Waiter, BOH, Bench Manager (Current Employee)
    Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

ProsThere are always friendly people who work there.
    Tips can be a great boost.

ConsVery little room for promotion.
    Working so hard for nearly minimum wage
    Management have far too much responsibility
    Never allowed the staff we need from up high.
    Forcing the team to get EVERY customer to fill out an online survey that makes no difference what so ever is time we could spend actually TALKING to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe spend a lot of time getting guests to fill out surveys online to get an accurate reading of how we are doing according to the public yet the boss of the company openly admitted to only offering a survey to guests who are likely to give a good response. I don't feel that gives an accurate representation of how we are doing?

Worked for Pizza Hut UK? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pizza Hut UK reviews and ratings in United Kingdom — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pizza Hut UK CEO Jens Hofma. All 36 reviews posted anonymously by Pizza Hut UK employees.