PlaceIQ Reviews

Reset
3.7
PlaceIQ CEO & Co-Founder Duncan McCall
Duncan McCall

Exciting Start up Experience!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Great people, solid benefits, emphasis on work/life balance

Cons

Work can become monotonous for those who lack proper motivation

horrible, need structure

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at PlaceIQ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My team is good, we support each other. It used to be a fun place to work when some of our old key execs were here. Some of the early guys really paved a way for company. The product is exciting but we can't seem to deliver on time. Some of the smartest data scientist I've ever worked with. Free beer is provided all day and catered lunch.

Cons

There is so much turn-over. The founder does not know how to run the company. People are constantly undermined and the Sales team never gets updates on product. Just total disconnect. There is too much interoffice gossip and not enough productivity. People are scared to speak up here because they will get fired on the spot. They hide it when people quit or get fired. Everyone just walks around afraid to ask questions and they mask it by throwing us happy hours each week. As another poster here said, the CFO cares more about partying then running a company.

Advice to Management

Bring some organization and structure. Stop spending money on things like sending a CFO to Cannes yet saying no to travel for much needed work meetings. The CEO also needs to start running the company rather than letting the untalented CFO do it.

Love this company

I have been working at PlaceIQ full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You want to work on new exciting things? You want to have fun while doing it? Want to work with very smart and driven people who also like to play hard? Do you want to be recognized for what you do and be compensated fairly? PlaceIQ is the company for you!

Cons

I can't think of cons. We like smart people and we like people to work hard (we also play hard - happy hour every Thursday, big parties every 2-3 months all company paid). There is little tolerance for slackers, so people who do not perform will not stay with the company for long. That is not to say that the company won't try its best to help if there are any performance issues. Every attempt to help bring up the performance will be made but people who just don't want to work won't be with the company.

Financial Analyst

Pros

Great leadership, Fair compensation, growth, great people

Cons

None that I can think of off the top of my head right now

Lack of Leadership and Vision

I have been working at PlaceIQ full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have snacks and drinks that are free Breakfast and lunch served once a week

Cons

Where should I start.... - Lack of Leadership and communication from the Exec Team - They are fast to fire employees who do not get in line - NY Office space is horrible. I know that this is a start up but jamming people into the space with 2x4 tables is not professional. Talk about moving to a nicer space. We've been hearing that since end of 2014. - Frat House mentality, it feels that you must attend the happy hours that they have in order to stay on the good side. CFO seems to be the ring leader at times during these events.

Advice to Management

You need to step up to the plate and communicate to your employees. The all hands meetings are ok but instead of having quarterly you should hold smaller ones monthly.

Interesting Times

I have been working at PlaceIQ full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product, market position. Nice people. Lots of excitement. Fun culture. Lots of individual opportunity. People in the industry all think the company is doing awesome things.

Cons

Rapid growth can lead to disorganization. Tendency to try to do too many things at once.

Advice to Management

Drive focus on big opportunities

Great work environment!

I have been working at PlaceIQ full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Great employees, everyone works hard + Lots of fun activities + Amazing Opportunity- I can already tell that my career will grow here + Growing Fast! PlaceIQ is doing a lot of hiring recently + Great experience- I am learning so much from everyone

Cons

None so far, I have only been at the company a few months, but have really enjoyed it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. It's great that everyone is so accessible.

RSS Feed </> Embed