Placemark Investments

Placemark Investments Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Lee Chertavian

Great benefits, Good to the employees

Addison, TX

ProsThey have a very competitive benefit package, give a significant amount of time off, care about employees and their personal lives. They have tried (even with the ups and downs of the economy) to stay a fair and competitive place to work. They take on most of the cost of the health benefits so the employees can afford to go to the doctor when sick. We have had celebrations for important life events for employees even when the times were hard.

ConsJob growth, movement and training can be difficult in some of the positions. However if you ask for advancement and are patient they will work with you.

Interesting work but ultimately a dead end.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosit was a technically interesting working environment that allowed for professional growth. Although some of their technology choices were rather peculiar.

ConsPay was substandard. This was true for both technical staff and financial services staff accustomed to a bonus heavy salary arrangement. The entire operation was poorly engineered to scale with growth of new customers. Management had unreasonable expectations and insufficient commitment to new projects. Cronyism was also rampant.

Dead end job at a dead end company

Dallas, TX

ProsThere were some nice people that I had the pleasure to work with. They provided great health benefits and three weeks vacation off the bat. However, taking more than a week's vacation at a time was frowned upon.

ConsThey paid lower than market salaries there was never any room for professional or career growth. Unless you were the boss' friend. Rampant croneyism made sure that their friends moved up the ranks quickly while everyone else's merits were overlooked. The technology leadership applied a Machiavellian management style designed to rule by fear.

The product is built on an aging technology stack making the skill acquired during your tenure rather unmarketable. I feel sorry for the tech folks who have invested more than two years of their careers at this place.

Upper management is cult-like with an inner circle that no one is allowed into. Innovation at this place is constantly stifled. When ideas are presented by employees, they are always shot down and later pitched by management as the product of their own brilliance.

The company grew too fast and then imploded in 2008 when a couple of their major customers walked out the door. This led to almost half the workforce being let go. They've never fully recovered since then. In the meantime, their competitors have overtaken them by leaps and bounds.

I am still not sure why their investors kept pouring more money in to keep this place going on life support.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so close minded. Respect the people in your company. Recognize their contributions and allow them to help you innovate. Your not the only ones who can ever come up with ideas. And stop kidding yourself and give your investors their money back before the Titanic goes down.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

How long will it last?

Dallas, TX

ProsBenefits, business casual dress code

ConsWeak leadership, a Sr. Management team that does not work well together, lots of internal political issues, extravagant spending by Sr. Management until they really had to tighten their belts, the Technology Dept. has the rest of the company by the "bleeps", a Board that is blinded by Sr. Management

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to make some changes at the top

Glad to have been a part of Placemark

Dallas, TX

ProsTeam environment - my co-workers and the management of my group really made the environment. I miss the benefits, as my current employer only gives me less vacation and has no 401k match.

ConsWhile I was there, specifications were not clear (if they existed at all). This did force me to interact with business users more, which could have been a good thing if it weren't for the back and forth changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementFormalize the software development practice and mandate proper requirements and testing by business users.

A Place With Nothing To Do

Dallas, TX

ProsIf you want to avoid doing any real work you can definitely pull that off at Placemark. They had one employee do nothing the entire time he worked there. It's amazing. The current management team is clueless on how to treat employees. They do give you 3 weeks vacation so I'd definitely take advantage of that!

ConsManagement is a good ole boy's club. If you're not in the fold don't expect any raises, bonuses or promotions. There is zero chance for career advancement. If you need a job to pay the bills, this place can help you. If you want to grow this company is not for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp your employees grow. Treat them like you want to be treated.

It is unlikely you will find any job satisfaction working for this employer.

Dallas, TX

ProsWorking at Placemark is extreme boredom interspersed with occasional chaos. If you are a self motivated individual, you can use your abundant free time to develop new skills and work on personal projects that will help you find a better job in the future. During the periods of chaos, you will learn how to be beaten down by management for problems that stem from the lack of direction from your manager. You will have the opportunity to help out your co-workers if your trouble shooting skills are broad and quick. If you are the first person in the officer for the day, you will be trouble shooting all issues from desktop support, to database, to hardware and the proprietary software platforms.

You can also just collect a pay check by showing up late to work, and diverting work to anyone that has not become jaded.

ConsPlacemark prides itself on its compensation package. You can be assured of that they will beat the market by offering a base salary in the bottom 25 percentile. On top of that, the bonus structure doesn't exist except for upper management.

Don't worry, the raises will make up for the starting salary being so low. A raise can be expected at least once every 5 years, and that raise will not cover cost of living increases over that time, nor will there be regular cost of living adjustments given.

Being a financial services business, the 401k matching is about what you would expect, below market with a long vest time.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management does not enjoy feedback.

Worked for Placemark Investments? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Placemark Investments reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Placemark Investments CEO Lee Chertavian. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Placemark Investments employees.