Places for People Reviews

2.8
Places for People Group Chief Executive David Cowans
David Cowans

1. Nightmare

Former Employee - Housing Officer in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Housing Officer in Leeds, England (UK)

Pros

Large company, so there is usually someone who can answer a difficult question.

Cons

Has completely lost its focus, they don't know if they are a social landlord, an estate agent or just a place to create unnecessary work. Lack of opportunities and constant restructures have resulted in a culture of management bullying, endorsed by the senior leaders and written into the HR handbook. Run by wannabe bankers, the assets are being stripped by the current top tier before the whole thing collapses. The magic smokescreens of new build showcase schemes hide the nil investment in Dickensian stock that makes up the bulk of its assets. I might be bitter about my time there,but with good reason - social housing was set up to help people, not use the Housing Benefit system to make money.

Advice to Management

None really, you know what you are up to.

Swerve..

Pros

Expanding & various options for employment.

Cons

Avoid this company where possible. They do not look after their staff, wages are very low & do not invest in training.

3. Recruitment Manager

Current Employee - Recruitment Manager in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Places for People full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, engaging work and never a dull moment. I feel my job and what I do makes a difference.

Cons

The calories - it's always someone's birthday, bringing cakes and sweets in for all - now a sugar addict.

Advice to Management

I wish we told the world all the great news stories we spread internally.

5. Great steady place to work, who reward you for good performance (except there are no bonuses)

Current Employee - IT Security Administrator in Preston, North East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Places for People full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Award scheme Good flexibility (i.e. Holidays, Work Hours) Pleasant office atmosphere Financially sound IT Department is very good ISO14001 Accredited Great culture and values

Cons

Politics with other management can interfere Not the best Salaries that reflect what responsibilities staff have Training prospects are limited

Advice to Management

Look closer at the responsibilities that your staff have and being paid, comparing that to what other companies would offer. Increase training budgets to help people in their jobs be the best they can be. Also root out managers that cause more problems than they solve.

RSS Feed </> Embed