Plan B Technologies

Updated July 17, 2014
Updated July 17, 2014
2.8

Donnie Downs

Small company, with small company values and outlook

I worked at Plan B Technologies full-time

Pros

company is in the right space with virtualization, storage, and related IT infrastructure projects.

Cons

Company does not develop opportunity for sales or engineers. They are good at keeping engineers current on certs but dont develop customer facing skills and internal processes are broken and painful to navigate. PS organization is run by a long term employee and is not interested in moving the company forward. This will continue to keep them at their current size.

Look to grow the company with fresh management. The PS organization needs a change in attitude and outlok to addressing the market!

Enigmatic Black Box of Management

Former Employee - Post-Sales Engineer in Bowie, MD
    Former Employee - Post-Sales Engineer in Bowie, MD

I worked at Plan B Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are willing give just about anybody a shot at being an engineer. I was underqualified when i was hired, and with hard work and some help from my peers, I'm 10x the engineer I was. Usually the company is good about on the job training and shadowing. Salaries are competitive. Company has multiple company sponsored annual events to foster team building. Above average medical coverage. Publicly, company adheres to their value and family oriented claims.

Bottom line, its a good place to build experience. However, be cautions of the non-compete. They will sue you and demand training dollars be reimbursed.

Cons

During my tenure, the first three month quit/termination rate hovered around 40%. Basically, half of the hires are gone for one reason or another within 90 days. This really kills the morale. It's been said that good managers are defined by the ability to hire outstanding talent, or by being pro-active at replacing talent. Plan B is not the former.

Plan B has no concept of modern workplace operations and telepresence. Legacy policies dictate all personnel will be either onsite with a customer, or in the Bowie office squeezed into a small room with all the other cattle.

There is also a complete lack or organizational transparency. Operated in typical military fashion, the 'grunts' don't need to know how the company is doing financially, or what the company's direction/vision is. Also be wary of the bonus structure. Dont expect much here, or to get an explanation of how its paid. After hours work is rarely paid out.

The non-CEO founding partners are rarely around, and out of touch. They have titles and salaries, but they are just investors. When I did see them, they were talking about racing cars and flying planes. I think the CEO only learned my name the day I quit. Senior management should probably update their attitudes on gender equality and social issues. Wildly inappropriate jokes and workplace comments.

Update your attitudes on workplace telecommuting, organizational transparency, good-ol' boy network sales techniques. Time is precious, and we work in IT! Allowing employees to work from home instead of driving to "corral" of desks in the middle of nowhere will go a long way to improving employee morale. If you don't trust your employees, that's a talent issue. The other reviewer here hit the nail on the head about Plan B's relationship based selling. Not a lot of focus on actual expertise of the company's engineers with customers, just a lot of (at times shady) good ol' boy transactions.

And yeah, lose the obviously fake glassdoor reviews.

Volatile work environment, beware of contracts

I worked at Plan B Technologies full-time

Pros

Some good engineers, lots of varying work environments, good experience builder

Cons

almost nonexistent and ever reducing benefits, some angry managers, 6am all hands meetings, 6pm "trainings". training is spotty, and must be paid back if you leave, they actually sued a former employee over noncompete. if you join to advance, forget it. if you dont mind towing a line and constant HR antics, this might be the place for you

lose the fake glassdoor reviews... they read like adverts, not reviews. Try creating and cultivating an actual favorable work environment. Saying it over and over doesnt make it true

Fortunate

I worked at Plan B Technologies

Pros

They are lead by a seasoned, time tested and battle hardened management team. Very family focused, solid work ethis is rewarded and team work is required. Investments in training and skills development are priorities of the leadership there. Plan B is an environment where those with skill and ambition can rise to the top and not constrained by tenure but aptitide and value are rewarded.

Cons

Not a great environment for coasters, or poor work ethics. If you just want to collect a check and not be a part of a team that understands you are working for the success of your peers as much as for yourself, should probaly look elsewhere.

Stay the course - keep weeding out the slackers and rewarding the talented.

Leery of Legacy Management Team

Former Employee - Business Development in Bowie, MD
    Former Employee - Business Development in Bowie, MD

I worked at Plan B Technologies

Pros

Location of office near Annapolis and Washington, DC.

Cons

The legacy management team has a true 'good ole boys' network. Be prepared to hit numbers yesterday with your own contacts, active pipeline.. Do not expect the support of leads provided by the firm. There has a long history of turnover with excellent engineering talent and some solid sales representatives that truly are thankful of not looking back.

No need to waste the energy to explain. It is all about the $$$.

Continuously Impressed

I have been working at Plan B Technologies

Pros

Some of the most talented engineers in the IT business. Training and certifications are important to the company to keep the engineers on top of the latest technologies (and also paid for by Plan B!)

Cons

As an engineer, you will work hard for the customers, but then again, I am not afraid or shy away from hard work, so it really isn't a con for me.

Keep adding great engineering talent to the team.