Planar Systems

Be The First To
Add Photos

Planar Systems President & CEO Gerald K. (Gerry) Perkel

Gerald K. (Gerry) Perkel

Great culture to work in; questionable business results

I have been working at Planar Systems

ProsGood benefits and friendly work environment. The products are interesting to work with.

ConsThe company struggles to make money and as a result has numerous strategy adjustments and layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on being successful at fewer things.

In a decline toward insolvency as the company continues to lose money.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Planar Systems

ProsSome solid engineering and operations resources, primarily gained from other Portland area layoffs.

ConsSenior management is simply not competent. Those that were have left. The company is run more like a club of insiders than a business. More concern with the stock price and latest quarter than establishing a real strategy to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a buyer

Miserable Company and going straight downhill

Engineering Director (Current Employee)
Portland, OR

I have been working at Planar Systems full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIf you are homeless and starving it might be good option but otherwise stay away. Constant layoffs and company not making money. Terrible leadership and no future. This company is a shell of its former self. It is astounding that that those leading this company are still here.

ConsTerrible leadership, losing money and selling off profitable business units to stay afloat. Constant layoffs lead to low morale and lack of interest. No profits are leading to no bonuses and nothing but head count reductions. No upward mobility and nothing to keep highly qualified employees to stay.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at you record and stop making excuses.

Going through some minor internal changes right now but great company overall

I have been working at Planar Systems

ProsPays well, respects ideas and contributions of employees, offers good benefits, provides flexibility in allowing employees to determine their projects and contributions based off their skill set, flexible work hours and good, friendly cohesive atmosphere among employees.

ConsSome minor internal changes taking place that are confusing, some sense of frustration from a few employees about management/productivity/their roles but overall most employees seem to be happy and are making proactive contributions to improve the company as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little bit more communication/access to top executives and managers as well as a clear idea of where the head leadership wants to go with current internal changes would be nice moving forward otherwise company seems to be doing well.

Do your homework before joining

Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
Waltham, MA

I worked at Planar Systems

ProsPlanar offers Great benefits. Work life balance is good. Very pleasant people and team. Individual business units vary a lot in terms of growth opportunities. There are some employees that have been there for a while and know the markets really well, but it is hard to retain talent if the company performs this bad.

ConsCompany is not doing good. The overall strategy the company has chosen seems to be headed in the wrong direction. All time low stock price, employee morale seems to affect productivity and confidence in a recovery is lost. Acquisition seems to have been done on the fly with limited due diligence on the segment. This has put a lot of burden on the current business units.

Individual business units vary a lot in terms of growth opportunities, but overall layoffs have demanded more work and less rewards.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome good business units should be spun off, and some shut down. At 12M market cap now, planar should just buy themselves out and go private. There is no reason for this company to be public. They are spending more money auditing and maintaining staff to meet sarbanes oxley that they can cut. With 17M in cash, and 12M market cap, if the company is not buying back shares, or going private, it shows the confidence they have in themselves and the market.

Systems (Current Employee)
Portland, OR

I have been working at Planar Systems

ProsUsed to be a wonderful place to work unforunately now its a shell of its former self.

Consworst management at al levels. Hire bottom of barrel instead of the TOP quartile as in the past. Everyone is just waiting for more layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire non-performers. Look for results and be accountable. Get rid of the home threatre business unit. They have never made money and will ultimately bankrupt this company. Respect the Industrial business unit and recognize that they have been carrying this company for decades.

A leader to the race to the bottom

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Planar Systems

ProsMoney, desperation - it's good enough if you have no other alternative

ConsLayoffs, poor compensation - not the worst in town but you'll have entirely precarious employment and sub par compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain employees, cut your own salaries

I hope it all works

Regional Product Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Planar Systems

ProsGood company with excellent products and an aggressive growth plan. The recent aquisitions of Runco and Vidikron have greatly enhanced the product offerings to the residential market and should boost the bottom line greatly.

ConsSome of the management are known for running other display companies into the toilet. With the recent departure of Scott Hix this is hopefully no longer an issue. The biggest risk faced by Planar is the potential destruction of the Runco and Vidikron brand names. If these products are all just turned into different Planar models, without the emphasis on performance and brand discinction, this experiment is doomed.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't run Runco and Vidikron into the ground

Waiting for the other shoe to drop

I have been working at Planar Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible schedule, decent PTO (though not accrued), well-known company, interesting products

ConsCronyism, lack of effective management, sailing without a rudder, not many perks left except for paycheck

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's too late for advice - they need to vacate. Keeping home theater division this long has become the albatross around Planar's neck. Besides layoffs, not sure if activist investor can help to right this sinking ship...

Company not doing well...tough environment for remaining employees

I have been working at Planar Systems

ProsBenefits, PTO, flexible work schedules, positive co-workers/environment, plenty of opportunities to contribute to projects across the company

ConsFinancial struggles, lay offs, reactive business practices, not enough up front research on products, markets/verticals, disorganized sales & marketing, impulsive decisions and poor communications by management

Advice to Senior ManagementLess reactive, more proactive/smart practices, better organization, communication and research. More productive employee feedback and opportunities/training for employees looking to develop careers within the company.

Worked for Planar Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Planar Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Planar Systems CEO Gerald K. (Gerry) Perkel. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Planar Systems employees.