Planet Aid

planetaid.org

Planet Aid Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

A non-biase review from an actual employee.

Driver (Current Employee) Elkridge, MD

ProsAs a driver or warehouse worker, many people could easilly work for Planet Aid as they would any similar job and receive comparable compensation. There's a lot online and on this site about scandalous connections and decisions by the parent companies, but is that really any different than any other large employer? Everybody's got dirt. Rich people get crazy weird ideas sometimes. I ain't rich.
    As a driver I know that I am collecting clothes and items to fill thrift stores domestically and internationally. Any decisions made by the higher-ups that seem shady are really out of my hands and don't really affect my daily tasks. A lot of people criticize the fact that the clothes go to poorer nations and I'm like, uh, they kinda need them more. If Americans are willing to spend a hundred dollars on a pair of pants, or spend as much on their weddings as they could spend buying a house, I think we can spare some used clothing.
    I do know for a fact that the profits made from the sale of clothing go towards disease prevention charities in under developed countries. And again, some people have a problem knowing that anything goes to benefit another part of the world. To them I ask, what do you have against the rest of the world? It keeps us in orbit around the sun.

ConsPay could be a little higher, especially with the risks associated with being on a road all day, but that's mostly a problem with the corporate culture in America wanting mostly to pay as little as possible for as much as possible. My pay rate is fine for me, but it could always be better.
    Site hosts seem to have difficulty contacting us in a dependable manner. As far as I know most of their queries are filtered through our one receptionist.
    A lot of the times we'll leave a bin for collection at a site that has changed ownership and the new owners won't understand why it's there and can get quite mad.
    Health benefits are fine, but retirement options are not worth the time-ther is no employer matching or interest rates or whatever so you're better off setting something up independently.

As a driver there seems to be some imbalance in the routes, with some drivers being able to run all local routes and end their days well under the target 10 hours, while other drivers with more miles to cover get in as early as they can tolerate and still wind up coming back to the warehouse last. It sucks, but the routes are constantly evolving as new sites come and go.

The good reviews here are shills written people in Africa

ProsExperience,work life balance, free stuff

ConsGoogle the company and read.
    High turnover, wicked competition,little support,condescending attitude from management

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out why your turnover is so high.

Planet Aid sucks

33ea3eae@opayq.com (Former Employee)

ProsI honestly can't think of any reason why anyone in the US would work here..besides needing money

Consincompetent management at the top, they have incredibly high turnover. Once you become an employee you come to the realization that you could not do a lot worse..

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to Eastern Europe...turn your wanted fugitive-founder in to authorities!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was an employee.

Territory Manager Trainee (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsTo have a job as long as you can stand it.

ConsThey are cheap. The management style is to make as much money as they can and pay out as little as possible. The managers don't know what they're doing. They will tell you anything to get you to do what they want. The managers can't be trusted. Most of the people who work for Planet Aid care about the mission. Soon enough they find out that the organization is not being run effectively. By then, if they last, they get ingrained into the pathetic mess Planet Aid has become and just become another cog.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you would treat your employees right, you wouldn't have such a high turn-over.

Planet Aid is perfect.

ProsPlanet Aid is perfect! I can feel the humanitarian attitude of the people volunteering in here. The warmth that I feel whenever I go here is just amazing. All I can say is that the spirit of helping others is alive in Planet Aid.

ConsAll I can say is that the spirit of helping others is alive in Planet Aid.

There may be some scandals involving Planet Aid

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere may be some scandals involving Planet Aid, but that doesn’t keep them on doing what they do best. They are just a gateway for the charity.

ConsWhat they do is creating the opportunity to help others.

Internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsSchedule was made up by myself, training was simple

ConsReally no support from the main office. My main goal was to get universities and schools in my area to participate in Earth Day by allowing us to put bins on campus and allowing students to donate clothing but that part was unpaid. The part that I was paid for was the part they didnt really want me to do and that was to find places for bins around businesses in the area. They told me I would be paid per bin depending on how long they wanted it placed but told me to primarily contact universities and schools. This seemed out of order to me, we ended up getting no schools to participate and I eventually placed one bin.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet priorities straightened out.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

What a nightmare!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe belief that your working for a respectable charity. Salary and commission opportunities are OK, but if you make too much they will change it.

ConsThe fact that alot of the negative press is correct and "charities" like this take away from honest legitimate charities. The company makes no effort to get further involved in local projects and is very secretive about all business dealings. Also the whole organization is run by members of the "Teachers Group" held by many to be a cult, the main buyer of textiles (Garson & Shaw) is also operated by TG members, as is various other "charities" and for profit companies like Gaia, USAgain, and IICD. Fact of the matter is, this is a horrible organization to work for and or be involved with. They treat staff like EVERYONE is easily replaceable, benefits are a joke, there is no appreciation for hard-work, and there is absolutely ZERO loyalty to anyone, staff and or local partners. They donate a penny per pound to local schools collecting clothing for them but make thousands and send the funds overseas. The final straw for me was finding out about all the extravagant property TG members own like a giant vacation house in Mexico shared by TG members, it really makes you wonder if your really supporting a cause or if the stories you can find online are true....so disappointing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop operating in the shadows, do more charity work in local communities, and take care of your employees. You treat the vast majority of staff like a worthless commodity.

Worked for Planet Aid? Contribute to the Community!