Planned Parenthood
www.plannedparenthood.org New York, NY 150 to 499 Employees

Planned Parenthood Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014
Planned Parenthood – New York – “View from elevators”

Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards

Cecile Richards

Pros:
  • "Opportunity to work on important issues like health care for women"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Good benefits, giving back to the community"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is a good deal of secrecy and cronyism among the upper management in the Arizona affiliate"
    in 6 reviews
  • "The senior management seems resistant to change"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

keep you on your toes

Planned Parenthood, Health Center Assistant (Former Employee)
    Naples, FL

ProsHelping out the patients when there was nowhere that they can be seen because their status

ConsThe fact that there was not much that we can do for them as in service and support in the community

Advice to Senior ManagementThe kindness and heart that they have for the job

Rewarding in the beginning, down falls at the end.

Reproductive Health Assistant (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsOpen-minded in patients health care

ConsGrowth is limited once you reach a certain plateau

Advice to Senior ManagementPut yourself in your staff place

At first cool then horrible.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLearn to deal with people.
    Patience is exercised.
    Workers are nice.

Cons8 hour shift standing outside.
    The office is hard to get to.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more reasonable work days. You say part time but to do that you have to literally dedicate every weekend and can't work half days and that is hard to do. Not only that your office is in a bad neighborhood and is hard to get to if you don't have a car.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great cause, good non-profit

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosprotecting reproductive rights, very committed to this important issue

Consaffiliate boards could use help with messaging and working state legislatures

On the whole, a positive experience - Wisconsin

Administrative (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsHigh turnover in senior management with some bad hires they had to terminate. The CEO is great and the mission is worth supporting.

ConsVery political atmosphere. There was a lot of gossip, especially on the management team. Too high a reliance on contractors and it takes a long time to get hired.

Awful experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe name is well respected.

ConsThe culture is not inclusive of diverse experiences, mindsets or skills. Its an 'old girl's club' where friendships and personal interactions are valued over work performance. There is little accountability on the expenditures at the Federation. Wasteful reimbursement/spending practices, especially with so-called telecommuters. Suspicious hiring practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany managers lack the skills to lead, support positive change or enhance productivity. Many have bounced around to different affiliates and promoted for the purpose of getting rid of 'problem employees'.

If considering a leadership position, run don't walk away from it....

Management (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsHard to find - the mission.

ConsBe careful as you're researching whether or not to join this organization. There are 73 comments here and growing - from some you would think it is the best place to work, from others not so much. That's because these comments are from varying levels of employee and lump all affiliates and the federation as one organization - it isn't - not by a very long shot. Working in a leadership position at an Affiliate depends on the quality of leadership at the affiliate - which is a mixed bag at best. The National Office is another story with little to no responsible financial management (waste is staggering), in fighting, back stabbing, utter confusion at the "executive" level (and that includes Cecile Richards-culture trickles from her office). Incredibly negative culture - no rhyme or reason - horrific stories too numerous to mention. Just recognize the positive comments here are from interns and admin staff OR from a former employee who was lucky enough to work for an Affiliate with principled management at the top - mid-management at the National office is stressed unhappy and frightened - Sr. Management leaving in droves and the 4 C-levels continue rolling along blindly. It's a mess.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace C-Levels, get business people on the Board who are not dazzled by Cecile (who is dazzling and a great Face for the organization but a thoroughly overwhelmed administrator) and are willing to ask the very tough questions desperately needing to be asked (starting with "what's with the executive/management attrition? It's a revolving door!")

Awesome Experience

Canvasser (Former Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsLearned co-workers, open-minded, laid-back atmosphere.

ConsI worked outside doing canvassing. Weather was not always great.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management that I experienced was great.

Peer Educator

Peer Educator (Former Employee)

Proslearning a lot of information about different diseases and prevention
    many fun activities to learn how to teach the public about disease and prevention

Conswish there were more outreach events

VOXENT.... completely mismanaged

(Former Employee)

ProsVoxent is run by a grant from Planned Parenthood with little to no accountability. If you can get "in" with the club then you're set for several years without having to do much real work.

ConsWas hired to work for Voxent... the technological arm of Planned Parenthood. I left a very stable job for this with the understanding that I had almost no experience with the technology I would be working with and that I would be trained. They even low balled me on the salary because of my lack of experience. The training was a joke and when I stumbled doing my duties management started to micro manage me which I do not respond well to. They then gave me the self fulfilling prophecy of an impossible task, pretending I should have been able to do it. Fired me after two months. Ruined my career.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Voxent... start over.

Worked for Planned Parenthood? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Planned Parenthood reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards. All 135 reviews posted anonymously by Planned Parenthood employees.