Planned Parenthood

www.plannedparenthood.org

Planned Parenthood Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014
Planned Parenthood – New York – “View from elevators”

Planned Parenthood – New York – “View from elevators”

Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards

Cecile Richards

Pros
  • Opportunity to work on important issues like health care for women (in 9 reviews)

• Good benefits, giving back to the community (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a good deal of secrecy and cronyism among the upper management in the Arizona affiliate (in 7 reviews)

• Compensation, constant/high turnover, incompetent management, reputation of the company (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience

Public Affairs Intern (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosfriendly supervisor, able to participate in events and lobby days, great training, co-workers optimistic and passionate about their work, a lot of learning opportunities, great atmosphere

Consunpaid internship, sometimes relaxed atmosphere with little work assigned

I enjoyed my time at Planned Parenthood and really learned a lot.

EMT (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsNew experiences, personal relationships with patients and co-workers, learned a lot about gynecological practice and health.

ConsPractically all-female (and many young women) staff and the atmosphere can get quite catty sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have any advice for the management staff. I enjoyed everything about my time there.

volunteer

Prosflexible and willing to work with you

ConsCan sometimes be a little overwhelming.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great mission, hard work, low pay

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe mission and the services we provide to our patients. When a patient is really grateful, it makes it all worth it. The hours can be flexible to accommodate child-care, vacations, and schooling.

ConsSalary is NOT competitive with other health care fields. Communication has become more transparent, but it could improve.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the line workers! Provide room for career growth!

Upper management made it a disappointing experience....

Family Planning RN (Former Employee) Yakima, WA

ProsGood schedule flexibility
    Good benefits
    Good co-workers

ConsPoorly qualified and trained upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure a clinic manager and upper level executivez are properly trained and qualified for the position.....not just promoted because of tenure or who the know.

Very educating and eye opening

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOffers a great service to people from all walks of life with no questions asked. Clinician at the time I was there was the best! Very nice coworkers who all got along with each other.

ConsPay scale not in line with most other healthcare organizations, way too low in certain capacities.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more education for employees more often, maybe monthly inservices on various important topics.

Never work here

Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe patients are very appreciative of you help.

ConsMy nursing supervisor played favorites with her nurse practitioners and wrote you up if you were not her "pet." I have been a nurse practitioner for 30 years and have never had negative reviews from any supervisor except at Planned Parenthood. Many nurse practitioners, including myself, were forced to quit because of her prejudices.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your nurse practitioners not just the nurse supervisors! Go to the clinics and see your nurses in action and then pass judgement.

Worst place ever; great mission but some awful people in senior roles

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe mission is great and the goal behind the organization is noble.

ConsMany (or most) of the senior leadership is competitive in an unhelpful manner with each other creating unwarranted tensions between teams. At least one senior leader is so sadistic that nearly every person that works for them is miserable. Internal politics trumps everything, so be warned if you're interested in pursuing a job here.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house and create a work life balance for employees so that you don't burn them out.

Wonderful staff is a job

ProsDoctors and nurses are dedicated and committed, a wonder to watch, the level of care is amazing

ConsIn a word, management. Empire building to the detriment of the mission. Favoritism is a real problem, allowing some people to set their own agenda. Few projects are followed through to completion

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication between departments would be a good start. More realistic time lines for projects and more equitable treatment of employees.

It was a good place to learn and grow skills.

Development Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLots of opportunities to help on projects, work independently and good feedback.

ConsBecause it's a nonprofit salary and pay of course aren't spectacular but that's to be expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncentivize workers to stay longer

Worked for Planned Parenthood? Contribute to the Community!