Planned Parenthood
www.plannedparenthood.org New York, NY 150 to 499 Employees

Planned Parenthood Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014
Planned Parenthood – New York – “View from elevators”

Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards

Cecile Richards

Pros:
  • "Opportunity to work on important issues like health care for women"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Good benefits, giving back to the community"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is a good deal of secrecy and cronyism among the upper management in the Arizona affiliate"
    in 6 reviews
  • "The senior management seems resistant to change"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very educating and eye opening

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOffers a great service to people from all walks of life with no questions asked. Clinician at the time I was there was the best! Very nice coworkers who all got along with each other.

ConsPay scale not in line with most other healthcare organizations, way too low in certain capacities.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more education for employees more often, maybe monthly inservices on various important topics.

It was a good place to learn and grow skills.

Development Associate (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsLots of opportunities to help on projects, work independently and good feedback.

ConsBecause it's a nonprofit salary and pay of course aren't spectacular but that's to be expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncentivize workers to stay longer

Registered Nurse

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood first job. Friendly, quirky staff

ConsPay is the lowest for nurses I have ever seen. Ever. So there is a high turnover.
    Nurses are basically medication pushers and hand holders. The medical assistants get more responsibility than the nurses.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people and really support the cause of Famliy Planning

Manager (Current Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat benefits, extremely nice people to work with

ConsPublic thinks all we do are abortions when the majority of our work is Family Planning

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a more dynamic and up to date culture

Everyone working together to support a great cause: Care No Matter What!

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsTeam members who share similar beliefs and values, great hours

ConsFor me, dealing with the stigma has been the biggest issue. Trying to figure out who I should tell and keeping myself safe is a balance I'm still working on. Also, regular protestors are annoying.

Good

ProsGood place to learn more

ConsNot much room for mobility

Advice to Senior ManagementUse interns as more of a resource

Working for the greater good

Payroll Administrator (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsStaff work for Planned Parenthood because they are caring, insightful folks that can see outside their own little circle to what is really important for the welfare of reproductive education and health care. These are the people you want as your co-workers...your teammates.

ConsThere are many people who do not choose to get to know Planned Parenthood and all that we do...but instead judge Planned Parenthood for offering abortion services. This is unfortunate, because politics get in the way of true quality healthcare that is affordable and accessible.

It totally depends of which affiliate you are working for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis is a nationally recognized leader in women's reproductive health care. The mission and vision is clear, and the staff are motivated to do their best - however, each affiliate is separate. This means that under the umbrella of "Planned Parenthood" there are nearly 80 different affiliates with their own board of directors, senior staff, culture, and organizational policies and procedures. I worked for Planned Parenthood of Montana - my review is only based on my experience there.

ConsPlanned Parenthood of Montana suffers from terrible leadership. It is a "top down" problem - within the Development department there is almost constant staff turnover, due mostly to extreme micromanagement and a hostile work environment. I can't speak for the other departments - Education, Public Affairs, Health Services - but beware of taking a job in Development. You'll be out of there in under a year, as have most of the Development staff under the current Director.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should receive comprehensive training on standard management and HR best practices. There should be no tolerance for senior staff who create a hostile work environment for those they supervise. Staff retention and quality staff acquisition should be priority goals.

Understaffed, underpaid, underappreciated

Planned Parenthood, Health Center Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsHelping others who truly value and need your help, lots of on job training if you work in the health center

ConsSlow to promote, training done for your work does not transfer to credible job skills outside of planned parenthood (phlebotomy and injection certification), long hours with high demands and no sincere recognition from Admin to boost morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't pay your employees poorly and then strongly encourage them to make donations to the company when they can barely afford to pay for themselves. It just rubs in how little we make working for a cause that we used to truly believe in....and then when we see money going towards things that seem like a huge waste of our resources it really hurts how we feel about the organization.

An great stepping stone

Health Center Assistant (Current Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsInteresting environment where you will learn a lot about women's health and sexual health in general. Never boring or lack of tasks to complete. Newly upgraded electronic health system. Offers health benefits. Opportunities to grow within the company. Working for a great cause and a wonderful mission. Feels like you have made a difference in the community even if in the smallest of ways.

ConsLack of training to newly hired employees has become an issue in the last year. The company is currently in the process of building a training system for new employees but currently there is no formal training program. Decisions can take months to decide due to board members needing to approve every decision.

Worked for Planned Parenthood? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Planned Parenthood reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards. All 135 reviews posted anonymously by Planned Parenthood employees.