Planned Parenthood
www.plannedparenthood.org New York, NY 150 to 499 Employees

Planned Parenthood Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014
Planned Parenthood – New York – “View from elevators”

Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards

Cecile Richards

Pros:
  • "Your pay is 14 bux good benefits nice team overall nice placejust have tough skin"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Opportunity to work on important issues like health care for women"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "An organization that is very high paced due to the constant need to protect women's rights to health care access"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Compensation, constant/high turnover, incompetent management, reputation of the company"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Even dream jobs don't last forever

I worked at Planned Parenthood

ProsWorking toward women's health and reproductive freedom gave me lots of opportunities to live my values -- and -- lots freedom to learn, grow, and do. The ability to work part-time (even as a department head) gave me the flexibility I needed to have a fulfilling career, as well as time for my family and myself.

ConsBecause of uncertainty about funding and political will from one year to the next, Planned Parenthood can be a culture of scarcity and fear. Advancement for many positions is limited. Plus, there was kind of a "Good Ol' Girls" network at our affiliate.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're a large nonprofit, but don't get too corporate.

Great Experience

Public Policy Intern (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Planned Parenthood as an intern for less than a year

ProsMany great community service opportunities.

ConsLonger time for the internship.

Not fun to work hard and passionately to be met by negativity and lack of appreciation

Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Planned Parenthood full-time for less than a year

ProsImportant work with an unconventional structure, decent pay and hours, diverse employee-base. The potential to be a great place to work is there.

ConsTotal lack of accountability within upper-management, the exclusive use of negative-reinforcement when disciplining, terrible organization. It varies greatly from affiliate to affiliate, but at my affiliate there is a lack of valuation for employees which leads to terrible morale and high turn-over which is attributed to both people being fired for petty/political reasons and people quitting.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster a better environment, focus more on organization, and use positive reinforcement. The only way you will improve the work environment and your precious "productivity" is by building solid teams who have the motivation to make the improvements that are dictated, not presented. Your employees do not respect you, at all.

Excellent place to work

I have been working at Planned Parenthood

ProsEveryone is passionate about what they do. They are all there to make a difference for the women, men and children in the community. The work opportunities are good. Staff can take on new projects and pursue new ways to do things, other than what is written on the job description.

ConsThe protestors can be nerve racking. You need to always be on the alert, whether you're talking on the phone, or chatting with someone right outside the building, or anything else.

you can feel good about working here

Seattle, WA

I have been working at Planned Parenthood part-time

ProsSupportive environment, fast paced, fun, variable hours, high learning curve, great people. You will be busy but you will be working in a really supportive atmosphere.

ConsBecause it's so busy all the time, you have to be good at prioritizing tasks. Sometimes things can slip through the cracks. It also pays like a non-profit pays so there's that.

Great mission, hard work, employee experience can vary significantly by affiliate.

Program Coordinator (Former Employee)
Concord, CA

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat mission, the org is huge on patient care and safety, going above and beyond in providing counseling and care to patients.

ConsLeadership turnover is low, so there are not a lot of opportunities for advancement beyond a certain level. Middle management have their hands tied if they're not supported by leadership. Hard work, long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck out Kotter's model for Change Management. Often upper management doesn't get sufficient staff buy-in before making or implementing decisions, leading to widespread frustration by front line staff, and poorer work quality. It seems this wasn't just a problem at my affiliate, based on the comment written here by an employee on Oct 7, 2008, that says "All decisions made by mid management and communicated to clinic employees as directives."

PPPSW is an emotionally immature organization with a contradictory culture

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time

ProsThe benefits - alternate workweek, vacation, sick and 401K - are better than the industry standards. The passion of the workforce for its mission is inspiring but that tends to enable a huge inconsistency in accountability for performance.

ConsThe organization is just now developing structures and systems to measure and hold all employees, not just front line, accountable for performance. It was constantly disheartening to meet deadlines, be on time for meetings and complete projects in agreed-upon timelines only to have to wait until others did the same. And then not be given appreciation for doing it. Secondly, health benefits were abysmal unless you opted for Kaiser and dependent coverage was unaffordable for the majority of employees. For a healthcare organization, that is unforgivable.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together and hold each other accountable for the basics: making timely decisions, defining and measuring KPIs.

Terrible management and favoritism.

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time

ProsI worked there because I believed in their mission and the right to affordable woman's healthcare.

ConsManagement is rude and plays favorites. If they have any issues with you, they don't care about who's around when they confront you. They will call you out in front of everyone. And there are ton's of double standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat every employee equally despite their qualification differences.

Unfortunate that Arizonans are stuck with this affiliate.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Planned Parenthood part-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay is competitive. Planned Parenthood facilities are managed under an affiliate system. So if you're not in Arizona it could be much better.

ConsThere is a good deal of secrecy and cronyism among the upper management in the Arizona affiliate. I worked there for less than 2 years. In that time, I had 3 different supervisors. The turnover among upper management is scarily high. People disappear from the company in groups as high as 5 employees at a time. There is little explanation about turnover or plans for the company. It is generally a stressful job as it is due to the political climate in AZ. Add the items I've described above and it's a recipe for misery.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate honestly about your strategic plan. Your CEO and CFO need to look beyond their own interests and stick with a medical director. Perhaps, then you won't have to switch strategic directions every 6 months. Stop saying you prefer to promote from within if you're just going to pass over qualified internal applicants. And stop pretending to value your employees. Your bottom line is hurting because your employees are miserable. Your recruitment and on-boarding costs must be through the roof. With that in mind, your HR Director is extremely unprofessional. Act in accordance with your stated values.

Ok place to be

Medical Assistant (Former Employee)
Flint, MI

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time for less than a year

ProsYour pay is 14 bux good benefits nice team overall nice placejust have tough skin

ConsDont tell ppl where you work they will call you a baby killer, hard work, protestors will vandiliseyour car if you park in the lot. If you break the protesters circle the spit and call u names

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees dont lose vood people

Worked for Planned Parenthood? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Planned Parenthood reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards. All 117 reviews posted anonymously by Planned Parenthood employees.