Planned Parenthood

Updated January 27, 2015
3.1

Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards
Cecile Richards

Pros
  • Opportunity to work on important issues like health care for women (in 10 reviews)

• Good benefits, giving back to the community (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • For all the company's emphasis on the importance of health, the work-life balance here is strikingly unhealthy (in 5 reviews)

• The pay is low, but that's to be expected in a non-profit organization (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, great company!

Former Employee - Clinical Assistant
    Former Employee - Clinical Assistant

I worked at Planned Parenthood

Pros

I worked in a small practice and had a great manager. It was a great experience helping patients and working for a company I believed in.

Cons

The clinic was very small so we had to take on all aspects of keeping the clinic running from receptionist to cleaner.

Planned Parenthood has a great team working for its important mission of reproductive health and rights for everyone.

I have been working at Planned Parenthood

Pros

There are so many opportunities and so many departments -- plus a network of affiliates across the country -- that there are great opportunities for job growth.

Cons

Working for Planned Parenthood is not for the meek since there are so many people who mis-represent the organization's mission and work.

Most interesting job I have ever had!

Former Employee - Clinical Assistant in Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Clinical Assistant in Ogden, UT

I worked at Planned Parenthood

Pros

Wonderful staff, great benefits and paid days off. Got to participate in many research studies and community programs.

Cons

Pay scale is very low and raises are hard to get. Can get gossipy between staff at times.

I enjoyed my temporary assignment in the billing department. It was a great experience.

Former Employee - MEDICAL BILLING in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Former Employee - MEDICAL BILLING in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at Planned Parenthood

Pros

The billing department was always busy. I enjoyed learning new software.

Cons

I wish I could of worked there permanently.

I wish I could have worked with the company full time.

No room for growth

Current Employee - Front Office in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Front Office in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Planned Parenthood full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I think that the mission is great and the I think that the staff gets along very good. The hours are ok.

Cons

I think that management treats their employees horribly, you feel as is at any moment you could be fired.

Treat your employees with the respect they deserve.

"Almost Humanitarian."

Former Employee - Canvasser
    Former Employee - Canvasser

I worked at Planned Parenthood

Pros

This is a job that anyone with a clean record can get, which is good for low income people looking for a foothold. The pay isn't bad either.

Cons

The quotas get in the way of actively working to convey Planned Parenthood's message. The metrics for success and failure are based on some prearranged system that borders on determinism.

Find new metrics for success and aim to hire like minded over easy labor.

Inconsistent leadership

Former Employee - Health Center Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Health Center Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Loved the patients and that's about it.

Cons

You get vacation and sick time but directors have an attitude about you using it. Inconsistent work schedule to be a salary employee. Directors expect you to cover every unconverted shift even if it impedes the schedule you already set. You may work 50 hours a week and only get paid for 35 hours. The directors go all out to hire friends but it is a "no no" to discipline them. The directors have issues with black managers who have a strong voice and are not yes people. They cater to white people, especially the nurses. The staff lack teamwork and make it hard for people to be happy.

Stop allowing gossip to cloud your judgement about other managers. Work in the health center so you can make realistic decisions about any changes in work flow and policy. You all are far removed from processes and need to respect the work of your first line staff.

What happened to the "Mission"

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. Fair pay for MA's & front office.

Cons

Management cares more about the amount of patients seen & the revenue from those patients than the care given to the patients. The clinicians are driven to make the office visit as fast as possible & charge as much as possible. If that means the patients aren't being given good care...oh well. It's all about revenue. Non-profit is a term used to guilt patients into leaving a donation. There is an opening for clinicians in almost every clinic in the MarMonte affiliate. There is a reason for that - they treat their clinicians disgracefully. No respect, overbooking patients so clinicians aren't able to leave work on time, lower pay than most clinicians, & general disregard for clinician's concerns.

Now that we have the ACA, Planned Parenthood is not the only option for women's health & they patients are not going to tolerate waiting for hours to be seen & rushed in & out like cattle. The only clinicians that are willing to put up with the terrible treatment they get from Planned Parenthood are new grads who will leave as soon as they possibly can. It's happening now. You MUST start treating your patients & staff with respect & dignity.

Horrible senior management

Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse
    Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working for the mission of PP and incredible staff at the clinics

Cons

Poor decisions made by senior management. They do not value their employees as seen by their high turnover in staff and clinicians.

Shifting goals, unreasonable

Former Employee - Planned Parenthood, Health Center Assistant
    Former Employee - Planned Parenthood, Health Center Assistant

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I believed in the organization's mission completely. Many of my co-workers were great people who I could work alongside without a problem. Benefits/pay were fine for me.

Cons

I know some of my co-workers (the ones with families) were struggling on the salaries they were paid.
    Double-standards were rampant everywhere, from who got promotions, to who got training opportunities, to who got cut a bit of slack for not being a Robot Employee.
    Sometimes worried I was being rushed into things and would mess up.
    Management was often hypocritical and bullying.
    High turnover leading to near-constant short-staffing.
    Unreasonable expectations about time. MERB (wistfully): Our tiny little Christmas....
    CMB: Well, we have the right number of chairs, so stop complaining!
    EVB (laughing): You know who you sound like when you talk like that, Dorktopus?
    CMB: Who?
    EVB: Toph Beifong.
    MERB: Who the HECK is THAT?

Don't hire bullies