Planned Parenthood Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards
Cecile Richards

Pros
  • Opportunity to work on important issues like health care for women (in 10 reviews)

• good benefits, adequate training time (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible (in 5 reviews)

• It also pays like a non-profit pays so there's that (in 8 reviews)

1. Dont recommend working there or getting health services there.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Falls, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Falls, IA

I have been working at Planned Parenthood

Pros

Good co-workers, good benefits, OK salary

Cons

They dont treat their employees right. They cheat the medicaid system by claiming charges the patients didnt incur. They ridicule the patients and staff behind their back. I would never refer anyone to work there or become a patient there.

Advice to Management

Have some respect for your employees. They can either help you grow or be the cause of your downfall. Each employee you have cheated will tell others and they will in turn tell others. Stop cheating the government and defrauding the Medicaid system. You will get caught and you will lose funding.

Very Disappointing

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

making a genuine difference to patients, empowering others, better working environment and salary than hospital (believe it not, PP pays well) for licensed staff (LPN, RN, NP/PA) almost reveered [personally I see this as both a pro and con!], training is comprehensive

Cons

I worked for PP for a number of years in various different roles. There is very poor compensation and no perks for some of the other positions (non-licensed) that require working overtime/weekend hours. It's the only company I've worked for that makes you do the work of the next higher position up, then several months (or years later) decides to give you the title and raise that goes along with it. I found this to be very insulting, but it's a pretty consistent indicator of their corporate culture as a whole. When I read another reviewers "cons" about Planned Parenthood, I felt as though we shared the exact same experience! There is high drama at PP, and at times it felt exactly like high school but even worse because your job is on the line. The company loves to say they have an "open door policy" but all that serves to do is encourage staff to run directly to HR and lodge silly complaints. It all seemed so very useless and dramatic to me. Those at the top, SVP's and such, are pretty unqualified for their titles and don't actually do much except attend meetings and out-earn all the folks who work hard day in and day out to keep the company afloat. I suppose that is true for most companies, but I guess I had higher expectations for PP who talks a good talk. If you go on salary (exception NP's/PA's) you will be expected to work, and I mean WORK some serious overtime. Again, they do talk a good game about work/life balance, but at the end of the day this company and will take advantage of your willingness to do a good job. The protesters are an occasional bother. Unfortunately PP is a blemish on your resume depending on how conservative your area is.

Advice to Management

Stop the clique-like behavior and the stereotypical dramatics. Focus on your mission and treat people well instead of just talking as though you do. When mistakes are made, acknowledge them. Pay people for the work that they do. If you can't find a way to provide decent perks, ask employees for suggestions on how to cost-cut instead of making surprise decisions that don't make sense. Upper management made some very morale crushing fires that could have been eliminated and caused everyone to start looking for alternative employment ASAP. Never forget that the best suggestions often come from those at the bottom.

3. Atmosphere of blame and incompetence

Former Employee - Director of Human Resources in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Director of Human Resources in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Proving affordable healthcare to those that are in need

Cons

Compensation, constant/high turnover, incompetent management, reputation of the company

Advice to Management

None, they won't change.

Surgical Services

Former Employee - Abortion Services Surgical Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Abortion Services Surgical Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to meet a lot of interesting people, by way of your patients. Some of very trying, but many will touch your heart. If you believe in the mission, you feel good about helping.

Cons

Unprofessional, mean-spirited coworkers and supervisors. Favoritism is rampant. The people who stay do so because they are unqualified to work anywhere else and the make the same amount of money. The patient load is incredibly high. Long hours some weeks, short hours others. Little to no career mobility. Vast disconnect between management & PR versus the assistants, nurses and doctors who actually do the work. One of the most depressing places I have ever worked.

Advice to Management

Affordable healthcare, please. It's disheartening to make $13/hour, pay over $100/mo for health insurance, and have it cover very little. Career mobility.

Office poorly managed with very high turnover!

Former Employee - Anonymous Office Worker in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Office Worker in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work on important issues like health care for women. Great location.

Cons

Very judgemental and overly critical culture if you disagree with how things are done or make suggestions. Not much opportunity for advancement or growth. Very high turnover! Few people who relocated from other states to work in office quit in less than six months.

Advice to Management

Hire more skillful, better trained and knowledgeable supervisors. Mentor, promote and retain good employees. Discuss and address reasons for high turnover.

Not a nice place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Planned Parenthood part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Time off is great but that is really all that is good about the place.

Cons

Everything else. The turn over rate is very high. They pay a cheap wage and then talk about how great they want you to be then demand you do what you do faster and faster to the point you know what assembly line health care is all about. Management for the most part are so full of themselves they can do no wrong and they will discriminate against the men who work for them with no problem hell then even discriminate against mothers. God help you if you have to stay home with a sick kid. The are so understaffed at every health center it should be considered a health care disaster. With employees who are over work and so under paid I am not surprised that the turn over rate is so high. The dumber you are the less chance of you being fired. They like their employees to never complain or point out discrepancies in any managers actions. Hell you can go up to a manager and say hey you treating me unfairly and then be punished by management making things hard for you and not being able to get a meeting with HR even when you asked for one. Even putting it in a email does not work. Not a place to work out if you believe in what you are doing and can think. Great place if you do not like thinking and feel providing a cheap substandard service is okay, don't mind not getting raises, don't mind not advancing, with micro management style that will make you sick to your stomach.

Advice to Management

Only hire trained and experienced management from outside the company until you get an all knew managment base from the top down. Stop Micro managing the managers who then inturn micro manage the people who work for them. Stop treating your employees like disposable gloves and hire more employees. Pay them a real living wage or go back to paying for the health insurance at least. Give promotions and raises as promised. Most of all just stop lying.

VOXENT.... completely mismanaged

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Voxent is run by a grant from Planned Parenthood with little to no accountability. If you can get "in" with the club then you're set for several years without having to do much real work.

Cons

Was hired to work for Voxent... the technological arm of Planned Parenthood. I left a very stable job for this with the understanding that I had almost no experience with the technology I would be working with and that I would be trained. They even low balled me on the salary because of my lack of experience. The training was a joke and when I stumbled doing my duties management started to micro manage me which I do not respond well to. They then gave me the self fulfilling prophecy of an impossible task, pretending I should have been able to do it. Fired me after two months. Ruined my career.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Voxent... start over.

Finance Department Overview

Former Employee - Controller in Hempstead, NY
    Former Employee - Controller in Hempstead, NY

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. I was very excited to join this organization coming from another sector and to be close to home. I quickly realized that The CFO as well as the President of the company were completely unethical and incompetent. I was let go only after 4.5 weeks and was not given a chance to fully understand the companies systems, programs. Please be aware of accepting any Director or Controller roles within this organization since you may regret it. The person before me lasted only 2 months and was let go as well!!

Cons

- Horrible and disgusting management. I'm referring to the Senior Management.

Advice to Management

Someone should replace them and hire stable ethical people.

If considering a leadership position, run don't walk away from it....

Former Employee - Management in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Management in New York, NY

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hard to find - the mission.

Cons

Be careful as you're researching whether or not to join this organization. There are 73 comments here and growing - from some you would think it is the best place to work, from others not so much. That's because these comments are from varying levels of employee and lump all affiliates and the federation as one organization - it isn't - not by a very long shot. Working in a leadership position at an Affiliate depends on the quality of leadership at the affiliate - which is a mixed bag at best. The National Office is another story with little to no responsible financial management (waste is staggering), in fighting, back stabbing, utter confusion at the "executive" level (and that includes Cecile Richards-culture trickles from her office). Incredibly negative culture - no rhyme or reason - horrific stories too numerous to mention. Just recognize the positive comments here are from interns and admin staff OR from a former employee who was lucky enough to work for an Affiliate with principled management at the top - mid-management at the National office is stressed unhappy and frightened - Sr. Management leaving in droves and the 4 C-levels continue rolling along blindly. It's a mess.

Advice to Management

Replace C-Levels, get business people on the Board who are not dazzled by Cecile (who is dazzling and a great Face for the organization but a thoroughly overwhelmed administrator) and are willing to ask the very tough questions desperately needing to be asked (starting with "what's with the executive/management attrition? It's a revolving door!")

Awful experience

I worked at Planned Parenthood

Pros

The name is well respected.

Cons

The culture is not inclusive of diverse experiences, mindsets or skills. Its an 'old girl's club' where friendships and personal interactions are valued over work performance. There is little accountability on the expenditures at the Federation. Wasteful reimbursement/spending practices, especially with so-called telecommuters. Suspicious hiring practices.

Advice to Management

Many managers lack the skills to lead, support positive change or enhance productivity. Many have bounced around to different affiliates and promoted for the purpose of getting rid of 'problem employees'.

RSS Feed </> Embed