Planned Parenthood

Updated October 10, 2014
3.2

Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards
Cecile Richards

Pros
  • Opportunity to work on important issues like health care for women (in 10 reviews)

• Good benefits, giving back to the community (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a good deal of secrecy and cronyism among the upper management in the Arizona affiliate (in 8 reviews)

• For all the company's emphasis on the importance of health, the work-life balance here is strikingly unhealthy (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

This place used to be the coolest place ever to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Planned Parenthood part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Super dedicated co-workers. Often giving information and health care to people with little or no access to any other care, including education.

Cons

Corporate patriarchy has taken over and it's really messy in a matriarchal organization......

Get some leadership training! Managers boss people around and use fear to keep their employees in check, leadership takes on tasks when it gets busy and leads by example. If your staff has more education than you do, check yourself for intimidation, go back to school if you need to. Know the history of your organization, take a women's herstory class. Bring herstory to staff meetings.

Plane Parenthood provides a caring environment for women (and men) in regards to sexual healthcare.

I worked at Planned Parenthood

Pros

Regardless of the area you are working in, or job time, there is great satisfaction in knowing that you are helping people in need.

Cons

Resources can be challenging. This can have repercussions with various projects and materials that may be desired to do a better job b

Allow people to thrive and do what they do best.

Learned a lot

I worked at Planned Parenthood part-time

Pros

The location I worked at had a lot of friendly people and knowledgeable clinic and administrative staff. Overall, they seemed to like what they do. Because of the environment, I wasn't afraid to ask questions (which I did quite frequently). Because of that, I learned a lot in a short amount of time.

Cons

Needs more support staff and more support in general.

Community Educator

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was a great work environment.

Cons

Some days ran a little long.

Disappointment

Former Employee - Management in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Management in Denver, CO

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great entry level organization for medical training. People can start as volunteer and gain proper training for entry into medical field.

Cons

Unfortunately, power hungry women - very big disappointment. Management staff does not treat fellow employees very well.

Treat good employees better!

Compassionate and dedicated workers despite a somewhat intense environment

I worked at Planned Parenthood as an intern

Pros

One of the best things about working at PP was that the clinicians care so much about patients and they are extremely professional and dedicated. Most of the staff is understanding, compassionate, and hard working. I was proud to work in a place where they dedicate their lives to providing great care to people who really need it and do so in a way that makes people feel comfortable and without judgement.

Cons

The environment can be tense because of the heavy flow of patients in a clinic. The budget is very tight and causes difficulties in various ways.

A great learning experience.

Current Employee - Insurance Biller in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Insurance Biller in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Planned Parenthood part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relaxed environment and friendly staff.

Cons

Management is in the hands of coordinators as well. Favoritism plays a big role within this company.

Decide who's the actual manager. Release duties according to position, instead of granting everyone the privilege to decide issues that effects the entire dept. Have better management skills on a whole. It's chaotic if you don't, resulting in unnecessary mistakes and time wasted.

Micromanaged. All about numbers, not people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Planned Parenthood full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Meaningful job, great team members, chance to make a difference in a woman's life

Cons

Micromanaged, overworked, center level staffed paid much lower than senior management, they ask for our opinions but do not listen. A bullying atmosphere. Go along with what VP says or you are OUT regardless of what your supervisor thinks!

Do anonymous surveys. Not the Great Place to Work stuff. Everyone on a clinic level knows you KNOW what we write. We need to be able to share concerns without fear of losing our job

Wonderful organization, little room for professional growth due to limited resources and upper management

Former Employee - Online Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Online Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone at the national office and all affiliate locations nationwide are mission aligned and truly care about the work they are doing to help people who need it across the country. I've never seen a better group of mission aligned people working in a single place. Everyone is kindhearted who works there: from the CEO, CIO, right down to the security desk. Also, there's lots of great opportunity for networking with outside partners who are fully on-board with PPFA's mission and goals: Facebook, Google, Twitter, Pandora, etc.

Cons

There is a lack of professional growth available due to limited resources and upper management not following through on plans for promotions and major projects. Overall, the office is short staffed digitally speaking. Also, upper management frequently hires friends of theirs, even though they may not be the best fit for the organization overall and in turn, have negative effects on the organization. Often times PPFA is moving 3 steps forward, then 2 steps back.

Prioritize employee retention, hire more digital folks

Revolving door....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Planned Parenthood full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's an excellent mission and you have the ability to positively impact your community every day. This is "feel good" work so if you believe in the cause, you have the opportunity to feel positive each day.

Cons

Turnover rate is atrocious, it's over 50%. Employees don't feel valued because the pay is so low, especially for the quality of work that is expected. The work is emotional, draining and it can create burnout quickly with the lack of compassion from our employer. It feels like PP serves the patients at the expense of it's workers well being. The atmosphere feels like we're constantly scrambling to make it work and we're one step away from shutting down.

I am concerned for the welfare of this affiliates future. Mid level management is often unprofessional, disconnected, and burned out. It was inappropriate for PP to have me do my exit interview with my immediate manager as opposed to an HR rep-particularly when my manager asked me to rate her performance in a series of questions. It might be worthwhile to clean house and start fresh. Lastly, pay people a livable, fair wage.

Planned Parenthood Photos