Planned Parenthood Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014

3.2

Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards
Cecile Richards

Pros
  • Opportunity to work on important issues like health care for women (in 9 reviews)

• Good benefits, giving back to the community (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a good deal of secrecy and cronyism among the upper management in the Arizona affiliate (in 7 reviews)

• Compensation, constant/high turnover, incompetent management, reputation of the company (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Fabulous, but very little room for growth at the MSC center

I have been working at Planned Parenthood full-time

Pros

support system, work life balance, great HC benefits. Smart, driven people.

Cons

I have nothing to say.

continue to support your teams.

Even dream jobs don't last forever

I worked at Planned Parenthood

Pros

Working toward women's health and reproductive freedom gave me lots of opportunities to live my values -- and -- lots freedom to learn, grow, and do. The ability to work part-time (even as a department head) gave me the flexibility I needed to have a fulfilling career, as well as time for my family and myself.

Cons

Because of uncertainty about funding and political will from one year to the next, Planned Parenthood can be a culture of scarcity and fear. Advancement for many positions is limited. Plus, there was kind of a "Good Ol' Girls" network at our affiliate.

You're a large nonprofit, but don't get too corporate.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Public Policy Intern  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Public Policy Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Planned Parenthood as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Many great community service opportunities.

Cons

Longer time for the internship.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Kept hoping things got better, but they never did.

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time

Pros

Working directly with the people receiving the services and being part of a bigger picture in the reproductive rights movement.

Cons

Majority of senior management (with the exception of the CEO, COO and Medical director) was lazy and incompetent, looking for ways to cut corners and meet deliverables on paper. Toxic work environment where people were looking out for themselves and not the bigger picture. There is a huge pay discrepancy between senior management and everyone else.

Great people but not overworked and unhappy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time

Pros

Impressive, smart and savvy group of people running and working at all ranks of the company. Everyone believes in what they do. The work you're doing there is for the greater good. So many of the clients you're indirectly impacting go to PP for their check ups. It's a great cause and mission.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations. Constant pressure (partly from external factors). People just aren't happy there. People leave constantly. Work-life balance is nearly impossible.

Invest more in keeping people. Turnover rates are really high, and that has never been addressed. It was never clear if management was concerned by this. I'm guessing not.

Not fun to work hard and passionately to be met by negativity and lack of appreciation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Planned Parenthood full-time for less than a year

Pros

Important work with an unconventional structure, decent pay and hours, diverse employee-base. The potential to be a great place to work is there.

Cons

Total lack of accountability within upper-management, the exclusive use of negative-reinforcement when disciplining, terrible organization. It varies greatly from affiliate to affiliate, but at my affiliate there is a lack of valuation for employees which leads to terrible morale and high turn-over which is attributed to both people being fired for petty/political reasons and people quitting.

Foster a better environment, focus more on organization, and use positive reinforcement. The only way you will improve the work environment and your precious "productivity" is by building solid teams who have the motivation to make the improvements that are dictated, not presented. Your employees do not respect you, at all.

Excellent place to work

I have been working at Planned Parenthood

Pros

Everyone is passionate about what they do. They are all there to make a difference for the women, men and children in the community. The work opportunities are good. Staff can take on new projects and pursue new ways to do things, other than what is written on the job description.

Cons

The protestors can be nerve racking. You need to always be on the alert, whether you're talking on the phone, or chatting with someone right outside the building, or anything else.

you can feel good about working here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Planned Parenthood part-time

Pros

Supportive environment, fast paced, fun, variable hours, high learning curve, great people. You will be busy but you will be working in a really supportive atmosphere.

Cons

Because it's so busy all the time, you have to be good at prioritizing tasks. Sometimes things can slip through the cracks. It also pays like a non-profit pays so there's that.

Great mission, hard work, employee experience can vary significantly by affiliate.

Former Employee - Program Coordinator  in  Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Concord, CA

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great mission, the org is huge on patient care and safety, going above and beyond in providing counseling and care to patients.

Cons

Leadership turnover is low, so there are not a lot of opportunities for advancement beyond a certain level. Middle management have their hands tied if they're not supported by leadership. Hard work, long hours.

Check out Kotter's model for Change Management. Often upper management doesn't get sufficient staff buy-in before making or implementing decisions, leading to widespread frustration by front line staff, and poorer work quality. It seems this wasn't just a problem at my affiliate, based on the comment written here by an employee on Oct 7, 2008, that says "All decisions made by mid management and communicated to clinic employees as directives."

PPPSW is an emotionally immature organization with a contradictory culture

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time

Pros

The benefits - alternate workweek, vacation, sick and 401K - are better than the industry standards. The passion of the workforce for its mission is inspiring but that tends to enable a huge inconsistency in accountability for performance.

Cons

The organization is just now developing structures and systems to measure and hold all employees, not just front line, accountable for performance. It was constantly disheartening to meet deadlines, be on time for meetings and complete projects in agreed-upon timelines only to have to wait until others did the same. And then not be given appreciation for doing it. Secondly, health benefits were abysmal unless you opted for Kaiser and dependent coverage was unaffordable for the majority of employees. For a healthcare organization, that is unforgivable.

Get your act together and hold each other accountable for the basics: making timely decisions, defining and measuring KPIs.

Worked for Planned Parenthood? Contribute to the Community!