Planned Parenthood

Updated September 10, 2014
3.2

Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards
Cecile Richards

Pros
  • Opportunity to work on important issues like health care for women (in 9 reviews)

• Good benefits, giving back to the community (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a good deal of secrecy and cronyism among the upper management in the Arizona affiliate (in 7 reviews)

• Compensation, constant/high turnover, incompetent management, reputation of the company (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I love working there

Current Employee - Human Resources Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Planned Parenthood as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good learning experience, good Paid Time off Policy

Cons

I haven't notice anything annoys me

Great people, but too many cooks in the kitchen

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

PPFA offers a really great benefits package, with ample time off and a generous 401(k) matching program. As an employer, PPFA attracts some brilliant and fascinating people, and as an organization, they have the resources to do so much -- which means working at PPFA can mean being a part of some really incredible work.

Cons

For all the company's emphasis on the importance of health, the work-life balance here is strikingly unhealthy. People are burned out and overworked, and the 24/7 work environment means turnover is high.

There are just too many people at the C-level, and it makes decision making clumsy and time-consuming. For all PPFA's resources and power, it's tough to get stuff done because there are so many managers and job roles are so ill-defined.

Fabulous, but very little room for growth at the MSC center

I have been working at Planned Parenthood full-time

Pros

support system, work life balance, great HC benefits. Smart, driven people.

Cons

I have nothing to say.

continue to support your teams.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An great stepping stone

Current Employee - Health Center Assistant  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Health Center Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Planned Parenthood full-time

Pros

Interesting environment where you will learn a lot about women's health and sexual health in general. Never boring or lack of tasks to complete. Newly upgraded electronic health system. Offers health benefits. Opportunities to grow within the company. Working for a great cause and a wonderful mission. Feels like you have made a difference in the community even if in the smallest of ways.

Cons

Lack of training to newly hired employees has become an issue in the last year. The company is currently in the process of building a training system for new employees but currently there is no formal training program. Decisions can take months to decide due to board members needing to approve every decision.

Even dream jobs don't last forever

I worked at Planned Parenthood

Pros

Working toward women's health and reproductive freedom gave me lots of opportunities to live my values -- and -- lots freedom to learn, grow, and do. The ability to work part-time (even as a department head) gave me the flexibility I needed to have a fulfilling career, as well as time for my family and myself.

Cons

Because of uncertainty about funding and political will from one year to the next, Planned Parenthood can be a culture of scarcity and fear. Advancement for many positions is limited. Plus, there was kind of a "Good Ol' Girls" network at our affiliate.

You're a large nonprofit, but don't get too corporate.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Public Policy Intern  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Public Policy Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Planned Parenthood as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Many great community service opportunities.

Cons

Longer time for the internship.

Kept hoping things got better, but they never did.

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time

Pros

Working directly with the people receiving the services and being part of a bigger picture in the reproductive rights movement.

Cons

Majority of senior management (with the exception of the CEO, COO and Medical director) was lazy and incompetent, looking for ways to cut corners and meet deliverables on paper. Toxic work environment where people were looking out for themselves and not the bigger picture. There is a huge pay discrepancy between senior management and everyone else.

Great people but not overworked and unhappy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time

Pros

Impressive, smart and savvy group of people running and working at all ranks of the company. Everyone believes in what they do. The work you're doing there is for the greater good. So many of the clients you're indirectly impacting go to PP for their check ups. It's a great cause and mission.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations. Constant pressure (partly from external factors). People just aren't happy there. People leave constantly. Work-life balance is nearly impossible.

Invest more in keeping people. Turnover rates are really high, and that has never been addressed. It was never clear if management was concerned by this. I'm guessing not.

Not fun to work hard and passionately to be met by negativity and lack of appreciation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Planned Parenthood full-time for less than a year

Pros

Important work with an unconventional structure, decent pay and hours, diverse employee-base. The potential to be a great place to work is there.

Cons

Total lack of accountability within upper-management, the exclusive use of negative-reinforcement when disciplining, terrible organization. It varies greatly from affiliate to affiliate, but at my affiliate there is a lack of valuation for employees which leads to terrible morale and high turn-over which is attributed to both people being fired for petty/political reasons and people quitting.

Foster a better environment, focus more on organization, and use positive reinforcement. The only way you will improve the work environment and your precious "productivity" is by building solid teams who have the motivation to make the improvements that are dictated, not presented. Your employees do not respect you, at all.

Excellent place to work

I have been working at Planned Parenthood

Pros

Everyone is passionate about what they do. They are all there to make a difference for the women, men and children in the community. The work opportunities are good. Staff can take on new projects and pursue new ways to do things, other than what is written on the job description.

Cons

The protestors can be nerve racking. You need to always be on the alert, whether you're talking on the phone, or chatting with someone right outside the building, or anything else.

Worked for Planned Parenthood? Contribute to the Community!