Plano ISD Reviews

Updated September 30, 2014
Updated September 30, 2014
3.8

CEO

As an entry level student instructor, I had the freedom to explore my own teaching style.

Former Employee - Student Instructor in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Student Instructor in Plano, TX

I worked at Plano ISD as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of independence in exploring your own teaching style, with the knowledge that I could go to my supervisors for expert advice whenever I needed.

Cons

Expectations in PISD are high. They expect excellence from their students and teachers. If you're not passionate about teaching, this is probably not the place for you to work.

Pressure to perform without the necessary tools

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Plano, TX

I have been working at Plano ISD full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I work with some good coworkers and the hours are usually reasonable. Most of the students are delightful.

Cons

Administration has unreal expectations and do not support teachers with the necessary tools to do their job.

Listen to the complaints from employees and don't just blow off their problems. Admin disrespect equates to larger turn over.

Great district for students

I have been working at Plano ISD

Pros

Great district for students and very diversified.

Cons

Support staff treated very poorly

Aux. Staff Treated Poorly

Former Employee - Food Service Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Food Service Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at Plano ISD full-time

Pros

Great District. Vision. Part of building great futures. If you are looking for "shift work" hours, there are plenty of auxiliary positions available to be a part of this district that involve hours outside the normal 8 to 5.

Cons

Poor leadership and management of auxiliary departments during my time there, from the director levels. A handful of supervisors are genuinely concerned for your growth and wellness, however they are constantly beaten back by their supervisors.

Treat employees like they are the ones doing the manual labor that pays your salary- not like stray dogs.

Good support

Former Employee - Teacher in Plano, TX

I worked at Plano ISD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ongoing training
    Pleasant coworkers
    Supportive community
    Good facilities
    Fair compensation
    Research based decision making
    Good schedule
    Proactive solutions
    Good resources

Cons

Somewhat rigid policies
    Somewhat top heavy management
    Can feel overly corporate
    Some principals not child centered
    Quality of life/work life balance varies by campus

Good place to work.

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher Assistant in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher Assistant in Plano, TX

I worked at Plano ISD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good hours, great work-life balance,

Cons

little pay, not much time off durning school year,

Check out building administrators before you commit to the school! High turnover = bad administrators.

I worked at Plano ISD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved working with some of the teachers. Also, working to help students succeed is always rewarding. Making a positive impact on students is also a plus. The two months of summer vacation are good, but year round school and breaks might be better. (Won't ever happen because childcare issues would be a burden on parents.). Good administration and staff in the district offices.

Cons

Higher healthcare costs every year and little to no raises. The raises don't keep up with the cost of living or healthcare. Texas should do more to help teachers with healthcare, as well as pay. There is more paperwork (due to Texas laws and regulations) and micromanagement with each passing year. Teachers have very limited recourse with a bad boss. You can work for a good administrator one year and then have a not so good administrator the next. If you aren't careful, or sometimes even if you do everything right, a bad administrator can potentially ruin your career. Stay away from the gossip crew! I have also learned to pretty much not trust anybody, and that is sad. My advice to new teachers is to never share anything with a coworker that you wouldn't get up and share in a staff meeting. Even if you think that person is your friend, don't say anything negative ever, and don't share your struggles in the classroom. Try to handle all of your own discipline. Be a good actor/actress and always smile. You never know who is a pal with the administrators, or the friend of one of the bosses. Or... even a friend of a friend with the bosses. In almost every school there is little help with discipline issues, and parents often take the side of their child. Careful in what you say or especially what you email parents! Children are allowed to call the shots at home and school. At school, teachers have little power in deciding on punishments for students' poor behavior and/or work ethic. Are you sure you want to teach?

For principals and assistants: Be nice to your teachers. Most of us try our best and do a good job. For District Administration: Hire principals who have more classroom experience. Screen your principal applicants better. We don't need administrators who think they know it all. We also don't want an administrator who never spends time with friends or family, or is married to their job. They then expect us to spend all of our waking hours at school. For the most part, don't hire administrators who have only taught art, P.E. or music (band, choir, orchestra). Principals should have to have at least two years' teaching experience in a class that kids are required to take. (Either a self contained elementary class, or for secondary.... a science, history, math, reading orEnglish class). Principals forget soon enough what it is like to be a teacher, so they should at least have to teach a REAL class. Heck, even coaches generally make better principals than teachers of the fine arts. Most coaches have at least taught history, which is not usually a favorite class for students, and requires some teaching and classroom management. I love choir, band and art, but I have only known one good administrator who taught one of these subjects. As important as academics are, you would think Plano would hire principals and assistants who are well versed in academics and teaching strategies. Since you won't pay us more, give us a couple of extra personal days. Not everyone would use them, but it would be nice for those of us who would use them.

2nd grade teacher

Former Employee - Second Grade Teacher in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Second Grade Teacher in Plano, TX

I worked at Plano ISD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The students and parents were great!!

Cons

I felt that the staff was stressed and uphappy.

none

AVID Tutor

Current Employee - AVID Tutor in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - AVID Tutor in Plano, TX

I have been working at Plano ISD part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Teachers are great! The students can be difficult at times, but that comes with the territory. Overall a great experience. Also, the AVID coordinator is a committed, caring lady who truly cares about the students and tutors.

Cons

Because I was just a part-time tutor, there were no benefits. This was to be expected.

Check out building admin before you commit

Former Employee - Librarian in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Librarian in Plano, TX

I worked at Plano ISD full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Easy place to work and live and keep everything contained in one place. Lots of intelligent, visionary folks in charge of programs though they are in the admin buildings.

Cons

Top heavy management within the buildings so it is inconsistent from campus to campus about respecting your jurisdiction and space. Very state-test driven...MAP testing procedure is invasive.

Define to principals what a reasonable time is for meetings and tutoring times. Some days went from 7:45 to 5:30 because of disregard for employees.,Some principals have a good sense of reasonableness, others simply do not.