Plante Moran Reviews

Reset
3.2
Plante Moran Firm Managing Partner Gordon Krater
Gordon Krater

Pros
  • Work-life balance is highly promoted within the firm which makes work enjoyable (in 13 reviews)

• Nice offices and flexible hours (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • When you attempt to regain your work/life balance they'll fire you (in 6 reviews)

• Long hours which is standard for this industry (in 6 reviews)

1. Great Company just hate winters

Current Employee - Audit In-charge in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Audit In-charge in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Plante Moran full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Everyone is friendly (jerk free) Seriously, a lot of companies may claim this but this is the only place that I have worked that this is actually true
    -Great benefits (health care and vacation time - 4 weeks to start + an additional 2 weeks available for purchase)
    -Boundless opportunities for advancement
     -17 consecutive years on Fortunes "Best Companies to work for"
    -I love this place but can't stand living somewhere that has brutal winters otherwise I would stay for the rest of my career
    -Transfer-ability within the company - Auditing, tax, HR, consulting, IT, Real estate, etc.
    -No micromanagement
    -You are truly in charge of your career path
    -Multiple industries to work in, from not-for-profit to M& to healthcare and more

Cons

Only has offices in the snow belt.

Advice to Management

Expand your geographical footprint.

2. They can do better

Current Employee - Audit In-charge in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Audit In-charge in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Plante Moran full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexibility
    - Work in multiple industries
    - Good clients overall
    - Majority of co-workers are easy to get along with
    - There are some good leaders/mentors in the firm

Cons

- Salaries are below market
    - Flexibility is good, but at times, there is so much work, you are working all the time
    - 401k Match is only 2%

Advice to Management

It is nice to have received some awards (surveys completed by folks drinking the Koolaid), but don't think there isn't a lot of change that's necessary, especially when considering Compensation.

Audit Associate

I have been working at Plante Moran

Pros

lots of flexibility, can work from home as needed

Cons

not competitive pay, especially in the manager/senior level

5. Plante is a great company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Plante Moran full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flex-time, benefits, special staff activities, career path and mentoring

Cons

Busy season can be stressful, no career path for administrative or other non/CPA career

6. Sales

Current Employee - Audit Staff in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Audit Staff in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Plante Moran full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really Good work environment. Really good benefits. If you like growth this is the place you need to work at.

Cons

Long hours during tax season. A lot of employees feel over worked at times, if you do not have a strong work ethic do not work here.

Advice to Management

Try to ease on the employees and try to give interns more work they do not know enough once they start.

Associate

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Plante Moran

Pros

Clients- main reason I go to work each day. Flexible work schedule. Specialty groups bring greater services to clients.

Cons

Salaries below market. HR runs the company and is definitely not there for the employees. Very political atmosphere- if you are not on partner track you are just a number and disposable. Says they are "jerk free" but that is not true and you better not complain about any partners or you are put on a list to watch by HR.

Advice to Management

Listen to reviews. Give a voice to some associates to be able to honestly tell you what staff are saying without reprisals.

Old School Mentality

Former Employee - Tax In-charge in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Tax In-charge in Lansing, MI

I worked at Plante Moran (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly employees, paid parking and community involvement

Cons

Poor benefits, low compensation, outdated management

Advice to Management

Need competitive compensation, ethical partners and out of the box innovation to retain clients

Staff

Former Employee - Tax Staff in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Tax Staff in Chicago, IL

I worked at Plante Moran

Pros

beautiful new offices in Chicago

Cons

very political, high cost for benefits

Advice to Management

pay attention to complaints from employees and act on it

Consulting Salaries Very Low

I worked at Plante Moran full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office space, free food, occasional flexibility with work hours, some good people.

Cons

The salaries on the consulting side of the business are insultingly low. I took this job because I needed something stable for a while and it seemed like a good opportunity. When the job market picked up and I started looking for jobs with true management consulting firms, I was shocked that I could almost double my salary very easily. I left to go to a firm that focuses completely on management consulting, and my base salary literally doubled. My bonus target went from 4% to 20%. I'm doing about the same amount of travel. Looking back on my experience at Plante, I'm insulted at how underpaid I was for the amount of work I was doing.

This firm is incredibly focused on kool-aid and slogans, to the point where it's obnoxious and overdone. You definitely have to drink the kool-aid and bleed Plante Moran if you want to fit in.

It is definitely not a jerk-free environment. I would hear Partners yelling and using profanity on a regular basis. There were certain people you just avoided because they were so unpleasant to deal with. There is also a ton of passive aggressive behavior. If people don't like someone, they won't deal with it directly; they'll just ignore them, not give them good assignments, and eventually push them out.

HR is definitely not trustworthy. The few HR team members I dealt with seemed immature and eager to learn any gossip they could in order to share it freely with others who didn't need to know. They also seemed to be high on power. I did not trust them with anything and never went to them with questions.

I honestly have no idea why this firm wins so many awards. I'm guessing they pay off Fortune magazine each year. I would be very wary of joining this firm just based on the awards they win. Based on my experience, their culture, leadership, and compensation does not justify any of these awards.

Advice to Management

Definitely need to look at salaries across the board for all positions. The pay simply is not competitive when you are trying to hire from the Big 4 and big consulting firms who are more prestigious and offer more money and better benefits. Benefits leave much to be desired.

The jerk-free motto is an embarrassment and not accurate in the least. I actually had friends who laughed at the "Relatively" portion of that motto (as in, "Relatively" Jerk Free - if you have to use the word "Relatively", then that sends a pretty clear message that you have a lot of jerks).

Take a look at some people who are in leadership positions (especially HR and some Partners) and evaluate whether they really set a good example for the firm.

Re-evaluate your benefits, package - especially medical insurance which is very expensive compared to other firms out there.

Tax Accountant

I have been working at Plante Moran full-time

Pros

Great place to learn. If you are a hard worker and quick learner, you can advance quickly.

Cons

Busy season can be tough at times

RSS Feed </> Embed