Plante Moran Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014

3.9

Plante Moran Firm Managing Partner Gordon Krater
Gordon Krater

Pros
  • Work-life balance is highly promoted within the firm which makes work enjoyable (in 12 reviews)

• Nice offices and flexible hours (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • When you attempt to regain your work/life balance they'll fire you (in 5 reviews)

• Long hours which is standard for this industry (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Culture but HR is out of control

I have been working at Plante Moran full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people, great culture, very caring, and recognizes me as an individual - not a number. No micro-managing but very high responsibility. Work hard - play hard!

Cons

This Firm is all about the Practice staff - if you work in administration you are on the outside. HR seems to be out of control - like they run the entire Firm. You have the support of the Practice leaders but if HR doesn't think you're a star then they push and push until the leaders cave.

Get HR under control. You run your company - not them.

Great place to work and grow your career

Former Employee - Assurance  in  Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Assurance in Southfield, MI

I worked at Plante Moran full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great co workers, understanding people, good reputation in the area

Cons

The name has a strong brand presence in the MidWest, but looked down upon as the little guy elsewhere in the country

Golder Circles are what make places great. Public accounting can be hard on anyone and at the end of the day, the biggest reward is financial compensation.

Great firm

I have been working at Plante Moran as a contractor

Pros

team centered atmosphere for all levels of employees, people refer things internally to each other without hesitation. Great place great environment.

Cons

equitable pay for all employment levels, despite differing skill sets. If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Problem is we are all not nails, and some of us

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Offers a unique experience you can't get anywhere else in public accounting

Current Employee - Audit Manager  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Plante Moran full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Growing company with lots of opportunity for rapid advancement. I feel like I'm driving my career. I set my own goals, evaluate myself, find opportunities that energize me, and my supervisors are very supportive in helping me focus on the aspects that energize me.

Cons

As with any job in public accounting, there's going to be a lot more hours than your typical 40-hour work week, especially during the busy times of year. They work very hard to help soften the blow (flexible hours, family-oriented benefits like on-site daycare in some cases), but still can tend to burn people out.

Friendly Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I worked at Plante Moran full-time for more than a year

Pros

There's a good reason Plante Moran has been ranked as one of the best employers to work for. The company really treats their employees well. The office had a really friendly environment and several perks for employees. Before I started, I was sent a beautiful gift basket welcoming me to the company and on my first day, was taken out to lunch by a few other employees. Management is understanding and works with you so you're able to meet personal obligations and ensure a good work-life balance.

Cons

I really couldn't have asked for a better work environment or company culture. However, I did find the work dry and not very challenging. Perhaps that is just the nature of this side of finance/accounting. I did not have upper management supervise me which provided for flexibility, but I felt actually limited my growth. At that point in my career, I may have benefited greatly from having a mentor or more guidance in my position.

Great learning experience, but "We Care" only applies to cookie cutter employees.

Former Employee - Assurance In-charge  in  Flint, MI
    Former Employee - Assurance In-charge in Flint, MI

I worked at Plante Moran full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Competitive wage
    -CPA exam bonus
    -Most staff are great to work with
    -Firm training is extensive and value added
    -Varied experiences in audit and assurance can launch career into private sector or non-profit arena

Cons

P&M tends to only hire a certain kind of person that fits what they expect of someone who will be "successful" in public accounting. When people don't fit the mold they are quickly ostracized by their team partner and managers. There is a lot of emphasis on physical appearance and the majority of the company leadership is still male (as is still typical for the accounting/finance industry.)

Get with the times. Not everyone you hire should be a W.A.S.P. (white anglo-saxon protestant)

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Assurance Staff  in  Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Assurance Staff in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Plante Moran full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work-life balance is highly promoted within the firm which makes work enjoyable. Everyone is very nice and ALWAYS willing to help explain things. The compensation is much higher than expected for a regional firm. Plante Moran offers great training and career planning. Thus, resulting in a low turn-over.

Cons

Hours during busy season can be long, but that is standard for the profession. Some of the trainings can be a little repetitive, but it is nice that Plante invests in the personal and professional growth of their staff.

Keep doing what you are doing!

Great if you are willing to work hard and fit to their "one size fits all" culture

Current Employee - Audit Associate  in  Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Plante Moran full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Nice flexibilty, independence, client-serving values of founding partners. Firm conference very energizing.

Cons

If you are different in any way - looks, style, way of thinking, color of skin, speaking patterns - you will be labeled / categorized as a someone who doesn't "fit," forgotten or passed over for client engagements, and eventually, subtly forced out. In these cases, behavior by peers and partners is passive agressive. Happens time and time again.

Open your eyes to the behaviors of some of the partners and leaders in the firm, especially those in HR.

Great place for temporary work

Former Employee - Contract Attorney  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Contract Attorney in Chicago, IL

I worked at Plante Moran as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The staff is great - very professional but approachable. Scheduling is typically very flexible, but it depends on the project/client. Old facilities were cramped and outdated, but the company has moved to a brand new space in the Loop.

Cons

It's temporary work, so you never know when it will end or when the next project will begin. Communication with staff between projects is minimal, and when you get a call for a new project it usually starts the next day. This is somewhat typical for contract work, but it is difficult to deal with at times.

Great Culture Overall

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Plante Moran full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall a very positive culture with leaders who are aligned with the firm's values of integrity and treating people with respect. Part of their cultures is to "always do the right thing", which is great. They won't do anything unethical just to make money. Employees are treated well and they hold fun events such as ping pong tournaments during busy season. They also bring in dinner for audit/tax people during busy season and offer babysitting service on Saturdays during busy season. They have several programs in place to train, evaluate, and develop employees. Firm policies are well communicated. Base salaries are fair and PTO time is generous (most employees get 20 days to start). Most positions are eligible for a bonus. A lot of great people work here.

Cons

Expect to work long hours, travel a lot (depending on your position), and to be on call on Saturday and Sunday. Another negative point is that even if you are required to use your personal cell phone for work purposes, they won’t reimburse you for the cost unless you are in a higher-level position. Family coverage for insuarance benefits is expensive.

Employees here really value the great culture that has been built. Keep up the great work! Just consider reimbursing people for personal cell phone use if it is required for their job.

Worked for Plante Moran? Contribute to the Community!