Plantronics

Updated September 15, 2014
4.2

Plantronics President, CEO, and Director Ken Kannappan
Ken Kannappan

Pros
  • Great culture, people and beautiful Santa Cruz (in 5 reviews)

• Work from home, in the office, however it works best for you (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Santa Cruz location means a reverse drive over the hill if you live in Silicon Valley (in 8 reviews)

• Senior management at the executive level is out of touch with the real employees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work/life balance

I have been working at Plantronics full-time

Pros

Plantronics is a great company to work for. The associates are friendly and truly make it an enjoyable place to work. Plantronics has an unlimited PTO policy, meaning to you take the time off that you need/want, with the approval of your manager, no banking time for that vacation you've been wanting to take. Plantronics is also a big proponent of working remote, giving you the flexibility to work from home, a local coffee shop or wherever you need to work to get your job done.

Cons

Because Plantronics is a great company to work for, people tend to stay for a long time, limiting the growth opportunities. Additionally, the total compensation package is lower than comparable companies in Silicon Valley.

Local Company Making Poor Business Decisions

Former Employee - Senior Buyer  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Plantronics as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Small local company, great location, relaxed culture, flexible work environment

Cons

Outsourcing our jobs to Mexico!!! Upper managements decisions are destroying this gem in Santa Cruz!

Bring back our jobs to the USA!

Friendly laid back Santa Cruz culture plus smarter working make this a great place to work.

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Plantronics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company values and consistent leadership at the top make this company focused and targeted in their little slice of the market.

Cons

Movement across company into new roles appears to be the exception to the norm. Usually people stay on the team or in the function they were hired to do.

Encourage more cross-functional movement among employees to better for less silos across functions

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, not much growth

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Plantronics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work/life balance with remote working opportunities; well established Brand and feeling of stability.

Cons

Typical internal politics, the pay is less than average for the area, considering the surrounding Silicon Valley companies and room for growth is very minimal. If you are looking to grow professionally and increase your level of responsibility within the company- look elsewhere.

Really Great Company to work at for a LONG time.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Plantronics full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People are wonderful. Very active in the community and in-house wellness options. Down to earth associates with an emphasis on collaboration and smarter working. Environmentally minded with space, materials and manufacturing practices. CEO GETS IT (gets US).

Cons

People stay for a long time, so it's not always easy to move up in the company.

Solid company that is on the upswing

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Plantronics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Honest and open culture from the CEO on down. People at Plantronics like to put a positive spin on things however management is not afraid to admit when things are not working and need to change. This change is usually done in an easy to digest and respectful way. Employees are treated like actual adults and this is reflected in the "Smarter Working" policies. Many employees work from home, a co-working space or somewhere else besides their cube, including our CEO who just recently gave up his cube to adopt a less permanent space in our "hotel zone" (the area where people without a permanent desk work while they are at HQ). We also enjoy "unlimited vacation days". You need time off? just make sure you are not missing any deadlines, give your team a head's up and and put it on your calendar and take what you need. Plantronics makes quality products and has a strong brand. Company is small enough that you feel you are actually contributing to the overall success. Newly redesigned HQ building is a great place to work. Everyone strives to do their best and takes real pride in working here.

Cons

Considering the company is over 50 years old, some processes are old and outdated. Sometimes change can be a bit slow.

We have recently had some major changes to management across the different internal organizations. These positive changes will bode well for the company. It seems management is "working on it" to make changes that we all know need to be made, so I have no advice at this time.

Best work culture to be in!

Current Employee - Engineering Intern  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Plantronics as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people are easy to talk to and willing to sit down and have a genuine conversation with you. Awesome sense of camaraderie among associates.

Cons

The location of Plantronics can be a reverse location commute for people coming over the hill. In my case, the commute is awesome because I live in the area.

Great company, great culture

I worked at Plantronics

Pros

Lots of support from management

Cons

Innovation can be a bit slow here, but I think the reasons for that are sound - Plantronics takes the time to invest in their ideas and ensure their success in the marketplace.

Truly a Gem

Former Employee - Communications  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Communications in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Plantronics as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, people and beautiful Santa Cruz.

Cons

Amazing employees and facilities, but a lot gets lost at the very top. They have the opportunity to make some really incredible stuff, but the consumer products never quite stack up.

Listen more to all of the incredible employees, it's the missing ingredient to an otherwise amazing workplace.

Great culture, career advancement difficult

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Plantronics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, culture and products. Beautiful and modern offices with lots of outdoor space, on-site cafe and state-of-the-art gym. Very flexible approach to work styles. Work from home, in the office, however it works best for you. Solid financials with great growth potential.

Cons

Very meeting-centric consensus-driven culture. Moving fast can be a challenge and empowerment in your role can be an issue. Most senior management hired externally, not a lot of opportunities to advance internally. Compensation not as competitive compared to other companies in the valley.

Great culture, but the tech world is moving ever faster, Plantronics needs to figure out how to move faster with it. There are smart people at all levels, encourage more empowerment and provide a path for advancement to keep your high performers.

Worked for Plantronics? Contribute to the Community!