Plantronics

Plantronics Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Plantronics President, CEO, and Director Ken Kannappan

Ken Kannappan

Pros:
  • "Santa Cruz is a very different kind of place"
    in 4 reviews
  • "very talented, good people, most are fun and people generally team oriented"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Santa Cruz location means a reverse drive over the hill if you live in Silicon Valley"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Senior management at the executive level is out of touch with the real employees"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Solid company that is on the upswing

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    Santa Cruz, CA

ProsHonest and open culture from the CEO on down. People at Plantronics like to put a positive spin on things however management is not afraid to admit when things are not working and need to change. This change is usually done in an easy to digest and respectful way. Employees are treated like actual adults and this is reflected in the "Smarter Working" policies. Many employees work from home, a co-working space or somewhere else besides their cube, including our CEO who just recently gave up his cube to adopt a less permanent space in our "hotel zone" (the area where people without a permanent desk work while they are at HQ). We also enjoy "unlimited vacation days". You need time off? just make sure you are not missing any deadlines, give your team a head's up and and put it on your calendar and take what you need. Plantronics makes quality products and has a strong brand. Company is small enough that you feel you are actually contributing to the overall success. Newly redesigned HQ building is a great place to work. Everyone strives to do their best and takes real pride in working here.

ConsConsidering the company is over 50 years old, some processes are old and outdated. Sometimes change can be a bit slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe have recently had some major changes to management across the different internal organizations. These positive changes will bode well for the company. It seems management is "working on it" to make changes that we all know need to be made, so I have no advice at this time.

Best work culture to be in!

Engineering Intern (Current Employee)
    Santa Cruz, CA

ProsThe people are easy to talk to and willing to sit down and have a genuine conversation with you. Awesome sense of camaraderie among associates.

ConsThe location of Plantronics can be a reverse location commute for people coming over the hill. In my case, the commute is awesome because I live in the area.

Great company, great culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of support from management

ConsInnovation can be a bit slow here, but I think the reasons for that are sound - Plantronics takes the time to invest in their ideas and ensure their success in the marketplace.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Truly a Gem

Communications (Former Employee)
    Santa Cruz, CA

ProsGreat culture, people and beautiful Santa Cruz.

ConsAmazing employees and facilities, but a lot gets lost at the very top. They have the opportunity to make some really incredible stuff, but the consumer products never quite stack up.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to all of the incredible employees, it's the missing ingredient to an otherwise amazing workplace.

Great culture, career advancement difficult

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    Santa Cruz, CA

ProsGreat people, culture and products. Beautiful and modern offices with lots of outdoor space, on-site cafe and state-of-the-art gym. Very flexible approach to work styles. Work from home, in the office, however it works best for you. Solid financials with great growth potential.

ConsVery meeting-centric consensus-driven culture. Moving fast can be a challenge and empowerment in your role can be an issue. Most senior management hired externally, not a lot of opportunities to advance internally. Compensation not as competitive compared to other companies in the valley.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat culture, but the tech world is moving ever faster, Plantronics needs to figure out how to move faster with it. There are smart people at all levels, encourage more empowerment and provide a path for advancement to keep your high performers.

Comfortable place to work if you like settling for the status quo

Santa Cruz, CA

ProsNice people creates a positive culture, high quality products, strong enterprise and call center business, quarterly earnings management, 7 minutes to the beach.

ConsLittle appetite for change, biggest risk to company is being too risk averse, unable to keep pace with the industry, quarterly earnings takes away from its focus on the future, questionable ability and limited patience to create and execute to a long term vision.

Focus, Focus, Focus

ProsReverse commute for people on the valley side of the hill. Strong company financially that will continue to grow. Good benefits.

ConsLack of real plan for the future. Too many people who have been there for a long time and aren't able to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide an understandable road map for the future not just a bunch of buzz words.

A very mixed bag -- the devil is in the details.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPlantronics has a strong contingent of competent, satisfied, local, long-time employees. It has successfully maintained its core market niche for decades, and it is aggressively trying to evolve.

ConsThe company is in flux, and change is challenging. Engineering has some highly skilled veteran contributors, but it is struggling to adapt to new opportunities and technologies, and the current senior management is well worth being extremely wary of. Morale is not high.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome key resignations might allow some less arrogant and manipulative leadership to come in and exert a positive influence more in keeping with Plantronics' historical reputation as a good place to work.

Excellent Company

Santa Cruz, CA

ProsTakes good care of employees.

ConsMid to small Size company.

Collateral producer

Santa Cruz, CA

ProsPlantronics has a very unique culture that is all their own. It is a friendly, comfortable place to work. The employee are all very helpful to one another.

ConsDriving to Santa Cruz can get old however working from home helps considerably.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to make sure everyone is aware of who is responsible for what and who the true owners are.

Worked for Plantronics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Plantronics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Plantronics CEO Ken Kannappan. All 57 reviews posted anonymously by Plantronics employees.