www.pltnm.com

James Lange

A Job that I Really Love

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist

I have been working at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is very committed to it's staff and has a great culture. There is plenty of growth happening, so there is plenty of opportunity for advancement. Management is very approachable, open to new ideas, and committed to the companies and it's employees success. They have a very defined Mission and Values and work diligently to live up to them.

Cons

I've worked for Platinum for over 2 years, and there have been some times of change that were uncomfortable, however now that we have worked through that I honestly can't think of anything negative to report, and if anything did come up I feel very comfortable saying that if I were to discuss it with my manager it would be handled openly and honestly.

Nov 21, 2014External Communications Specialist

Thank you for sharing your experience at Platinum! You're right on - we are in a time of great growth company-wide, which we attribute to our continued forward focus and mission to provide the best ... More

Good company

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Platinum Supplemental Insurance

Pros

Good money if you work hard. Managers help you out and training is good.

Cons

100% commission and you spend about 500 bucks a week just to work which includes food, gas, and hotel.

Help out with some of the expenses

Committed to Excellence!

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Platinum really fosters an environment that allows every employee the ability to learn and grow. Many members of management are focused on career development. They do what they can to ensure proper coaching and mentoring is given to help each employee succeed. Platinum offers competitive wages and amazing benefits. They have also afforded me an amazing work/life balance.

Cons

The parking in downtown Dubuque is somewhat of a headache and can be challenging near the office building.

Nov 21, 2014External Communications Specialist

We appreciate your review - thank you! We know that our growth as a company is dependent on the professional and personal growth of our employees, so we're happy you feel that level of support here.

Great company - great opportunities!

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I live in the same town as Platinum's home office. The first year of my career with Platinum was as an independent contractor/field representative. After being diagnosed with cancer and unable to travel for several months, Platinum offered me a position in the home office. Eight years later, I can't imagine myself with any other company. The opportunities have never been greater and the future has never looked brighter!

Cons

After 8 years of employment, I honestly can't come up with anything I would list as a "Con" to working at Platinum. I've been treated very well and given every opportunity to succeed!

Keep pushing to get Platinum to the next level and creating great opportunities for employees and representatives, while providing excellent work/life balance.

Nov 21, 2014External Communications Specialist

We're excited and motivated by your enthusiasm for your career at Platinum! Thank you for taking the time to share!

Great product, 100% Cold Door Knocking to sell. Good Luck!

Current Employee - Supplemental Insurance Sales in Fredericksburg, TX
    Current Employee - Supplemental Insurance Sales in Fredericksburg, TX

I have been working at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Product is great, training is great.

Cons

Whether you sell or not, you are out $400-$500 a week on expenses/hotel/gas. Cold door to door sales all day in remote areas. There is no "servicing" existing accounts.
    This company has an incredible rate of poor retention, and if you resign before the second Monday or Tuesday, they will not advance commissions from sales the week before. So if you show any dissatisfaction with the process, they have a heart-to-heart with you to get you to resign before the second Wednesday

Who sells door to door any more? This is an archaic form of marketing, and very difficult to master.

Nov 24, 2014External Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback. We commonly hear from our sales representatives in the field about how confident they feel selling our product because of its unmatched quality ... More

Platinum Supplemental Insurance - Ask Questions Before You Jump.

Former Employee - Agent Producer in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Agent Producer in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pyramid scheme, if you are at the top you will make good money off the agents you recruit and use for your own benefit. Agents will make their "cut" but expenses eat a lot into it.

Cons

After 2 weeks they want you to pay for your own hotel for up to 4 days a week, no car allowance from day 1, no gas allowance from day 1, you are driving up to 5 hrs to your assigned territory to sell products with no set appointments, no benefits, no food allowance, etc.

Tell the recruits exactly what they are getting into up front. In Texas, farmers have guns and will shoot on sight in regards to trespassers. They have the legal right to do so.

Nov 21, 2014External Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We certainly do encourage anyone considering this or any new career to ask the right questions and gather as much information as possible ... More

I was a producer

Former Employee - Insurance Sales in Marshall, IL
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales in Marshall, IL

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The support from management was very strong and supportive.

Cons

Cold call business. When I resigned the company would not pay me for the apps. I traveled to the work site that might be as much as a 2 to 3 hours on my own dime. I paid for my motel stay for the four days that were required and of course I paid for my meals. If you did not do well signing apps. I found myself in a hole every week.

Listen to your producers out in the field, this is not a great position for people of color. Many of the farmers after seeing that there was a minority on their porch had already formed a ( NO) not because of the product but because of who or what I am. Leadership would not listen and would suggest it was our presentation that was all wrong.

Nov 20, 2014External Communications Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear you felt strongly supported by our leadership and management. Providing the best opportunities and experience for all of our sales representatives is ... More

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Wichita, KS

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great if you work hard. Plus renewals keep paying you. If you leave the company after 2 years you are 50% vested. After 5 years 100% vested. Overall Platinum helped me out financially as I was able to save up money to find my ideal job.

Cons

They sell you on the fact that you are your own boss, however they want you to work as much as possible. Also weekly expenses are around 400-500 just to work. That's hotels and gas. Most bonuses are not attainable by the average or even a good agent. They micromanage even though you are considered self employed. Also no benefits.

Stop micromanaging. Make your open and honest communication as such. Be honest with your agents. Stop decreasing the advances on pay it has hurt our production and is a bad idea. Try to grow in a sustainable manner. Value your good producers. No quick fixes.

Nov 20, 2014External Communications Specialist

Thank you for your honest feedback. We are happy to hear the financial success you found here at Platinum helped you move toward your dream job. In our nearly 20 years in business, we've had many ... More

The harder I work the more income I can make.

Pros

4 day work week and not having to work any holidays! I have the freedom to do whatever I want on the weekends.

I also get to work for a company that has the best product and marketing system in the industry!

Cons

Being gone four days a week was a concern when I first started but the income and my ability to provide for my family in ways I never thought possible soon erased those concerns.

Nov 24, 2014External Communications Specialist

We're thrilled to hear of your positive experience! It is amazing what an extra day every weekend can mean for your home life.

Very fulfilling and life changing.

Pros

Working for Platinum is very rewarding. We aren't selling a luxury item, what we sell is a necessity. In any sales position, competition is a big hurdle. I haven't seen a policy that really compares to Platinum's. The process Platinum has in place is also easy to learn and proven to work. I had very high income goals and since I started here over 5 years ago, I've surpassed every goal I've set. The sky is the limit when it comes to income with Platinum.

Cons

When I first started, my main concerns were the travel involved and only being paid if sales are made. These concerns were quickly erased. Being home for three days per week and all holidays actually allows more time to spend with my family. By putting forth a consistent effort and following the Platinum Process, income concerns were also put to rest.

Nov 24, 2014External Communications Specialist

Thank you for sharing a glimpse into your experience as a Platinum sales representative. Congratulations on achieving your personal and financial goals and on your dedication to making the system ... More

Platinum Supplemental Insurance Photos