Plato's Closet

Plato's Closet Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pros
  • First dibs on all the "new" clothes that come in (in 6 reviews)

• You get first pick on the clothes that come in before they go to the floor (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • But this was my job in high school, so i didnt need a whole bunch outta here benefit wise (in 7 reviews)

• Minimum wage- even if you have had previous experience w/ higher pay at other places (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall my experience at Plato's Closet was great!

Shift Manager (Former Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsWorked with wonderful people, family owned and everyone their was considered family. Very understanding of schedule changes and cooperative with any sudden changes in school schedule. Loved the owner and the work was minimal at first.

ConsWorking with younger individuals. It could be frustrating at times when dealing with high school drama in the work place. At times higher up's played favorites. No set hours for when you closed, it all depended on how many people are on shift and how hard the morning crew worked. If anyone slacked the night crew felt it.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't play favorites, and drama anywhere in the work place is unacceptable.

Fashion Forward

Store Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsStay on top of fashion, work/life balance, fun work environment.

ConsIt is still a retail job.

Fun

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFirst to see the new items in store. Most employees were very young. Great discount

ConsMost work I've done at a retail job with the least amount of pay

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work for high school students

Key Holder (Former Employee) Fort Myers, FL

ProsDiscount on clothes was my favorite part of working here! But it can become a con if you don't have self-control. Co-workers were nice to work with.

ConsSlim to no room for advancement or pay raises, rude customers, not enough income to live off of, not enough positive feedback, high turnover rate, drama.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat employees as if they're replaceable. Offer incentives, growth opportunities and regular pay raises. Eliminate people who start drama. Set an example as a manager instead of just barking orders.

unprofessional

Prosnone sales smelled bad rstroom is horrilbel and the dressing rooms smell like feet

Consbreaks close to chick fil a free food sometikes\

Advice to Senior Managementbad

Plato's is a good idea, if put into the right hands..

Back of House, Dressing Rooms, Tagging, Filling (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsThe work was super easy.

Until my last couple days, it was very smooth. The customers were sometimes indignant, but I had the opportunity to meet and talk to some very nice people while working there. The pay is generous for the work load.

ConsAlmost everyone at this job needs an attitude check.

My employees complained about their 4 - 5 hour shifts of just moving clothes throughout the store, and I recall one employee telling me "I would die, if I had to get out of here, later than 10 (pm/closing)". Real jobs close past midnight.

I was stationed with mostly incompetent people who would play the blame game whenever things didn't go their way. Most employees had major egos, which came out when someone pointed the finger at them.

Management did not train sufficiently, as when I had been tagging for 3 weeks, they waited nearly a month to scold me and tell me I was not doing it correctly.

When you have a business supported by very little structure, you can imagine that it will sway to and fro with favoritism and unreasonably lenient rules. A bad structure, equals a bad business.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your employees correctly, and if you have an issue with them, do not build it up for weeks on end, only to let out a month's worth of built-up resentment, in one day.

This was a fun job!

Sales Associate/Buyer (Former Employee)

ProsIf you love thrifting then this is the dream job for you and in this case my dream job.

ConsPay is minimum wage

Advice to Senior ManagementTry not to be so clicky

The store was cool but the people I worked with were horrible.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDiscounts on clothes, cool customers, and creative expression

ConsInconsistent schedule was hard to work with

Advice to Senior ManagementPick better store managers

Assistant Manager

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Frisco, TX

ProsClothes clothes clothes! I love the people I work with. Nice customers will make it enjoyable as well. Always something to do!

ConsPay is way too low. Dress code is ridiculous. Not much help from supervisors. Always have something to complain about.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees.

Fantastic time here!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEasy job. In my experiance, i got allong well with everyone, including management and the owners. First dibs on all the "new" clothes that come in! Hahaha.

ConsThe pay sucks. Its a little more than minimum wage, even if your a buyer. But this was my job in high school, so i didnt need a whole bunch outta here benefit wise.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer a better wage.

Worked for Plato's Closet? Contribute to the Community!