PlattForm Advertising

Updated November 18, 2014
2.6

PlattForm Advertising Chief Executive Officer Steve Fireng
Steve Fireng

Pros
  • Benefits, casual dress code, gym (in 11 reviews)

• It is laid back with a casual dress code, and younger people (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not hire enough people in most areas which lends to a poor work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• High school atmosphere (goal-setting, required book-reading, quasi-mandatory (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at PlattForm Advertising full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Culture is great, people are great! 401k is amazing. My direct supervisor is great and always has my back.

Cons

Salaries are below industry standard. Upper management does not hire enough people in most areas which lends to a poor work/life balance. Many people have to work overtime consistently to pick up the slack.

Hire more people, provide more consistent training, pay people what they're worth.

Since PlattForm changed ownership, they no longer demonstrate that they realize the worth of their employees and they are no longer committed to the culture the founder established.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at PlattForm Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the reasons I liked working at PlattForm was the allowance to wear casual clothing.

Cons

Upper management cares only about the bottom line. They do not care about their employees and what they need to be successful in their positions. The Human Resource Team is supposed to be an advocate for employee concerns and work toward equitable resolutions. The Vice President of Human Resources is not a person who can be trusted to have the best interest of the employee in mind, even if she knows that the employee had been treated unfairly.

Go back to the original philosophy of the business and why it was so successful in the beginning and sustained the volatility of advertising business cycle... It's the PEOPLE-EMPLOYEE'S that created the foundation for the success. Without a great Foundation, all businesses will fail!

All hype.... No substance... Good for those just starting out.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I worked at PlattForm Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Casual dress code
    Overall really nice coworkers
    Free Coke Freestyle machine

Cons

There are several cons. The biggest of which are:

Terrible Pay/That ever elusive promotion that you have been working hard towards.
    Long hours accompanied by being guilted into working longer/more because everyone else is.
    High turnover rate.
    Way too many scheduled/impromptu "coaching sessions".

Long story short, there are many other Ad Agencies in the KC area to work for. PF was once able to hide behind their awesome "Culture" and sense of family. That is no longer the case. They aren't the worst, but are certainly nowhere near being one of the best companies to work for in the city like before.

Won't waste my time here. You're very profitable, so why rock the boat?

PlattForm’s been slowly going downhill for years, but now it's sprinting.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I worked at PlattForm Advertising full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

PlattForm was a blessing during my first couple of years. I took a 30% pay cut in order to get into the advertising world, and I was happy to do so. I became close to many team members and produced some lifelong friends. Life was good.

Current perks:
    -Decent amount of PTO
    -Fantastic coworkers for the most part
    -Relaxed dress code
    -Management generally doesn't micromanage
    -The company makes profit hand over fist, and it's not going anywhere (quite stable, even with recent industry-related scares)
    -They’re willing to take a chance on those with no experience (they have to at the salaries they offer)
    -Free soda
    -Plenty of free parking (it’s in Lenexa)

Cons

As time went on, I became more and more bogged down with work, often staying an hour or two after most others went home. Some teams would always seem to have plenty of time on their hands; enough to constantly play ping pong & Mario Kart, or to just run up and down the hallways yelling like children.

Poor employees were given promotions while promises of promotions & better compensation came and went for me. Seniors & up were transferred to our team from declining teams, effectively nullifying promotions for most of us for a long time.

Fast-forward to 2013/14: New ownership. New CEO. We’re told by management that Sterling Partners is aware of PlattForm’s inadequacies and is committed to providing more competitive pay and various other improvements.

Strike one:
    Healthcare premiums went from being completely covered to only partially covered, with less than 3 weeks’ notice before the changes went into effect. It would’ve been much more palatable if they'd made an early announcement that this was going to change during the FOLLOWING fiscal year. The reason we were given: there were a couple of million-dollar medical claims as well as more pregnancies than most companies of similar size. Human Resources seemingly did not shop around for cheaper insurance rates as they’ve done in the past. Will PlattForm take on a larger percentage of premiums again in the future if costs go back down? Unlikely.

The popular wellness incentive program was also scrapped at this time, stealing 5 yearly vacation days from most employees. Thank goodness for the soda machine!

Strike two:
    Many PlattFormers were laid off in April 2014. As unlucky employees (some of whom should NOT have been laid off) were plucked from their cubes by various managers, our new CEO was hanging out in the hallway cracking jokes and laughing while we mourned for our colleagues. It was not a good day, and the whole situation could have been handled so much better.

Strike three:
    My 2014 raise was one of the worst I've received during my professional career - in both dollars and percentage. This was supposedly implemented company-wide. We all know how much profit they make. We see the numbers. There’s no reason why PlattForm can’t afford to take care of its employees. “Sterling Partners is committed to providing more competitive pay.”

It has become clear that PlattForm has shifted its focus in the wake of Sterling’s acquisition. The powers that be no longer truly care about their employees. They want to make a buck by any means necessary - end of story. Michael Platt and Dave Admire had their shortcomings, but they are sorely missed.

Current cons:
    -Pitiful compensation vs. similar companies (my current employer balked when I told him my salary)
    -Deteriorating benefits
    -Poor decision-making and communication from HR and C-level management (post Platt/Admire/Booth-era)
    -Employee retention is a massive issue, making work more difficult for those who haven't yet migrated to Intouch
    -It is absolutely the least-creative advertising agency in the country
    -High school atmosphere (goal-setting, required book-reading, quasi-mandatory “fun”, etc.)

Stop writing reviews on glassdoor. 5 stars? Pay concerns have been “made right”? How deceptive! You admit turnover is still an issue. Why do you suppose that is?

PlattForm is evolving for the better!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at PlattForm Advertising full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great CEO. Leaders put employees and partners ahead of themselves. Work closely with marketing giants like Facebook, Google, etc. We are growing - new offices in Chicago, UK and Australia. Pay concerns have been examined and made right.

Cons

Still have turnover in some departments - this noticed and everyone is working hard to address it.

Keep following through on the vision and new direction. We are making great progress. Sometimes change is hard for people but continued strong results will win over any old-guard doubters!

Lesson learned

I worked at PlattForm Advertising full-time

Pros

Great co-workers, good PTO options, good work-life balance for an advertising agency.

Cons

Layoffs, new CEO - different rules, seemed that once a week there was someone leaving, no team communication.

Train and communicate!!

Bought out and sold out employees to the new ownership

I have been working at PlattForm Advertising full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can play games most of the time without anyone caring. They know you get paid half of what competitive agencies pay, so management is willing to let you be.

Cons

Salaries very low
    New ownership is trying to squeeze blood from a stone

A great company to start your career at, but hard to get promotions.

I have been working at PlattForm Advertising

Pros

Great environment and employees. Nice company culture and events to participate in.

Cons

Pay is not competitive, making it easy for other companies to win over our employees.

Not what it seems

I worked at PlattForm Advertising

Pros

Casual dress, decent benefits, some (small) perks

Cons

By their own admission, PlattForm does not pay their employees very well compared to other local companies in the industry. They mask everything in corporate culture, but having a Wii, pool table and free soda in the break room does not make up for low salaries and an uncertain future. The turnover rate is unreal. PlattForm hires a lot of entry level employees and works them until they burn out, realize there's no real opportunity for advancement, or they see through the facade. They do not promote from within very often and employees are pigeon-holed - when they want to branch out into other areas, some of which they are more qualified for, they don't get that opportunity.

Many employees describe the procedures as inefficient. There are teams that lack real leadership and understanding of the services they provide for clients. At best, they are inconsistent and at worse, they don't have any idea why they do what they do. Clients' budgets are spent on things they do not need simply because it's available, rather than redirecting budget to areas where the client needs to have attention.

A new CEO was brought in, followed by a round of layoffs and some odd terminations, causing some employees to take a hard look at their future with PlattForm. More layoffs could be inevitable until the company finds its direction while squeezing profits and productivity from a low-paid and increasingly over-worked group of employees.

Right the ship and find some direction. Get a handle on turnover. Pay employees what they're worth. Promote a real corporate culture where employees know they are valued, have some security and possibility for advancement.

Great company, growing company, leader in their field.

I have been working at PlattForm Advertising

Pros

Fast growing company. Expanding into several different areas. Great people and can be a fun environment. Leader in the education marketing space.

Cons

Not as many growth opportunities from within.

PlattForm Advertising Photos