PlattForm Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

A unique place to work, including many positives and a few drawbacks

Current Employee - Strategist in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Strategist in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at PlattForm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A very positive culture I know culture can be a big buzz word, but I have worked in a lot of different places, and PlattForm truly has something unique. There's an honest work hard, play hard culture. The company invests in a positive culture and this can be seen through team-building and competitive events which do result in a more friendly, supportive feel among co-workers. Approachable leadership Any and all management I have interacted with have made me feel valued and important. While I can't vouch for this across all teams, I see PlattForm's management working to earn respect of their teams rather than demanding it. As someone who is uncomfortable in a typical hierarchy where titles demand respect, this may be what I appreciate most at PlattForm. Great coworkers There's an infectious passion within the PlattForm teams not only for the work we do in our roles, but also for the charitable efforts done through Team Phil. I come from a non-profit background and was nervous about entering the "corporate" world, However, I find the same compassion, mission-focused, and social awareness among PlattFormers that I saw in my previous companies. Flexibility The company is flexible to help accommodate work/life challenges. Working from home, flexing schedules, and even bringing kids to work and working from the kids' room are all options when life throws bumps in the road. There are even several remote employees who were able to take their job with them when family demands required them to move from Kansas City. Everyone also gets a week off during the holidays (which week is worked out to keep coverage) and flex Fridays in the summer where you get every other Friday as a half-day.

Cons

Not going to lie, the company has been in flux through recent changes. This has led to some difficult transitions and changes, and a roller coaster of morale. Overall, compensation is below average and this used to be made up for with exceptional benefits, but the benefits have steadily declined in my short time at PlattForm. The company says they're working on employee turnover (some teams have high turnover but others do not), but this continues to be a struggle. There also appears to be inconsistencies between teams. Some of the great leadership, support, and benefits I enjoy don't seem to be shared across the entire company.

Advice to Management

Do more to retain and reward employees. You have a great group working for you. PlattForm has a great culture of verbal recognition of hard work and jobs well done, but it can feel hollow when workers keep giving more and getting no financial recognition or merit-based incentives.

Mar 15, 2015 – CEO

I want to thank you for the balanced view of PlattForm. I am very glad you see the great culture, employees and leadership. These are the main reasons I joined and I see amazing work everyday from ... More

A lot invested, little to show for it

I have been working at PlattForm

Pros

Department Leadership - there are departments/account teams with extraordinary leadership. Co workers - the people here make the experience. Good at the core - the employees and direct managers/directors care. They care about each other, they care about the work they do, they care about the people who keep this organization going. It's not just lip service, like it tends to be at a higher level.

Cons

Unfortunately, there are many decisions that impact employees that our directors/vps (the people who actually know us) have no input or insight into, let alone control over. Changes that effect employees are largely negative - in the last year and a half, not one change that's happened has given employees anything. Every change has been taking something away, or making something worse. Granted, PlattForm is now offering benefits very similar to other companies - but vastly different than what people who've put years into this place have known. Negative after negative after negative makes it tough to see the bright side. No room to improve compensation - compensation is set. No matter how hard you work, you really only have an annual review to look forward to, and it's significantly worse than they used to be. No performance based compensation, no bonuses. You can get almost a perfect score on your performance review, and your raise is the same as the guy next to you. Sugar coating - cannot STAND trying to spin a negative change into something positive when it clearly isn't. We are all intelligent adults. The opportunity to enroll for pet insurance (when it wasn't actually even offered) is not a win for our crappy healthcare. It was mentioned as a benefit every time healthcare changes were discussed. No communication - expect to have life altering changes rolled out a week before they happen.

Advice to Management

Culture is not something you can shove down employees' throat. Our amazing culture was innate 2+ years ago. Then everyone got hit with one punch to the gut after the other, and now there is an initiative to get the culture back. You regain culture by making employees feel valued. By giving back when you have to repeatedly take away. In addition, when people making changes have no face to the individual employee, the employee feels powerless. When a company has the growth PlattForm has, change happens. Not all change will be positive. And with more employees, there is less to give. But when a change is negative, it should be rolled out with care and compassion for the individuals it's impacting. We are all people, people with responsibilities, people with families. I stay at PlattForm because I'm invested in the people and the clients, and the students we help - It's though every day, knowing PlattForm is not invested in us.

Apr 8, 2015 – CEO

Your comments are heard! While I disagree with some of your comments I am sure we can always improve. Would really like the opportunity to sit down face to face to talk specifically about your ... More

The grass is greener at PlattForm. That is why I came back.

Current Employee - SEO Specialist in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - SEO Specialist in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at PlattForm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New Era Steve Fireng brought a new direction to the company that has lead to other innovative marketers in the Kansas City area such as Sean Nicholson and Bart Vickers joining the company. The direction that this company is headed compared to where it was in 2007 is unbelievably exciting. Flexibility A big pro for me when it comes to working here is the flexibility. They actually care about their employees and understand if you have a sick kid, doctors appointment, or something that requires you to step out of the office. They have started adding laptops for different areas of the company to help with flexibility and efficiency. Generating quality work is much more important than you not being 5-10 minutes late in the morning. Career Path You control your own destiny. You choose your career path here. Management has done an outstanding job with career paths in 2014. Nothing I have seen at any other company I've worked for. Salary Salary is competitive if you have the right experience. PlattForm is great at giving people an opportunity to prove they are capable, but you can't expect veteran pay when you are a rookie. I think this is an area where PlattForm has been unfairly criticized in the past. Management The management team is very unique. The SVP of digital actually gets introverts! Most upper managers look past introverts and focus on the talkers for promotions. Nicholson gets that we can only be successful with both types of employees. Don't be afraid to just want to put your headphones on and work...you don't have to schmooze to get ahead here. Atmosphere The atmosphere is pretty cool too. The culture club is awesome and really works super hard to make this a fun place to work. It is acceptable to take breaks to get a soda from the in-house Freestyle Coke machine (for free!) and play a game of ping pong or pool. Tuesday afternoon candy carts, picnics, soccer, etc.

Cons

Growing Pains With the new direction that PlattForm is taking there have been some growing pains. This happens with every company, but it is fair to note that there are still some things being ironed out as we steer the ship. PTO Paid time off is on the lower end of what I have had at other companies.

Advice to Management

Focus on Turnover There still seems to be some great employees that do not understand that the grass is actually greener here. Competitive raises for exceeding expectations is the only way to prove that in my opinion. Play More We thrive off of your energy. Seeing the boss taking time out of his/her day to play a quick game of ping pong or basketball with a few employees is super cool.

Feb 9, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for your thoughts and feedback. I completely agree about the play hard, work hard culture, and we need to make sure we continue to focus on the play hard side. Also, I will challenge you ... More

These reviews are surreal.

I have been working at PlattForm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at PlattForm for just over a year. I've worked at other agencies, and while PlattForm is not perfect, it's in many ways better than a lot of other places. It makes me sad to see how negative and hateful some of these comments are, when my experience has been so positive this far. Here, I feel supported. I have room to learn and grow but there are great people nearby who will help me when my crazy new ideas backfire. The culture is awesome, and they made company-wide salary increases. My raise was somewhere in the 16% area. It's a very "work hard, play hard" culture. While I'm not the biggest fan of Steve, I AM a big fan of some of the new leadership that's come in. Bart (VP of Account Services) and Sean (VP of Integrated Marketing) are awesome, and now that Tara is no longer VP of HR it seems like there's been a tangible shift in focus to employee morale. This place is doing amazing things and while there are stressful days and lots of changes going on, it's the best agency I've ever worked at. There are a LOT of great people at PlattForm. Seriously, I feel like I'm surrounded by family. I've never felt so supported in my career before.

Cons

Good talent sometimes gets taken advantage of. There's a lot of young, inexperienced talent, and because of high turnover in the last year or two a lot of extra weight gets put on the people who "stick to it" and stay. We're INCREDIBLY short-staffed with creatives and developers, meaning that projects do NOT get done fast enough. The Ops team doesn't really seem to understand what other people's jobs are, so don't always route work or assign workloads well. One thing I DO want to clarify is this: most of the bad things about working at PlattForm are things that you should know you're getting yourself into by entering the advertising industry. You place your career in the hands of clients - some of which are crazy, or not great at their jobs, or clueless, or uninformed - and you're going to have bad days. You're also going to have good days. And in my opinion, the good days far surpass the bad ones. Because a lot of the talent on-staff is young, there sometimes seems to be scenarios where individual employees are immature. This also leads to some blatant "ladder climbing" behavior where young thirsty professionals throw others under the bus. Let me tell you: this is the minority. The good ones make it worth it.

Advice to Management

Do whatever it takes to staff up the developer and creative teams. Strive for realistic workload management. Make sure the hard workers know how appreciated they are, because they don't hear it often enough. Incentivize things like integrity, and penalize people who climb over others because they think it'll get them to the top faster. Advertising is a HARD trade to work in, and it's harder if we don't help each other through it. Remember that.

Feb 10, 2015 – CEO

I am glad you feel supported in your career here. You have some really good insights and thoughts. Make sure you keep that flow of information with your leadership. Steve Fireng, CEO

PlattForm is a great place to be if you want to grow your career

Current Employee - Account Management in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Account Management in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at PlattForm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strategic leaders Job Security Work Life Balance - Most people get in around 8:30 and leave by 5:30.

Cons

Technology still behind the times Not enough resources for reporting and analysis

Advice to Management

Keep sharing your vision for where the company is going. Make sure everyone's voice is really heard. Technology is still a challenge. Takes too much time to run reports and do analysis.

Feb 10, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write a review about PlattForm. Improving technology is a key initiative in 2015 and we have doubled our investment in tech this past year to continue to improve. My ... More

Exciting things happening at PlattForm!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at PlattForm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dedicated, hard working employees that embody the work hard, play hard mindset Environment that fosters creativity, innovation, growth and teamwork Talented, experienced leadership with a vision for the future Company is at a turning point with really exciting things ahead

Cons

Business evolution could have been more clearly communicated Benefit changes have had an impact on employee retention and mindset

Advice to Management

It is exciting to be a part of the evolution of the company. We are playing an important role in serving our partners and the education industry. As we continue to grow, keep communication high so employees feel engaged and invested in our evolution.

Feb 10, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for the insights. We are continuing to evaluate and improve our communication. Obviously, we have quarterly all staff meetings, but it needs to continue to be part of our daily lives. I ... More

I didn't realize how bad it was until I got another job

I worked at PlattForm

Pros

Great people. I formed some great relationships and truly miss a lot of people there. A lot of the managers used to care about their employees, but upper management was making it increasingly hard to do that when I left.

Cons

Ridiculously bad work-life balance, sub-par salary, extreme lack of respect from director in dev services. I essentially got a 30% raise to take a demotion at another company, I'm working far less hours, and I'm well-respected. It wasn't uncommon for me to work 60+ hours a week and still get yelled at by the director, who was adamant that our team was actually overstaffed and we were just being lazy. New ideas were highly discouraged and eventually outright barred. Salaries have not improved, despite what some of these reviews are saying--I've talked to the people still there, and I don't know anyone who's happy. Due to the low pay and extreme turnover, many of the newer employees couldn't do the work that was needed, so the work always fell on their top performers, who were overworked, unsupported, and severely underappreciated. New management is trying hard to turn things around, but they're doing that by removing benefits and pushing people harder--things that were already a problem. Avoid dev services like the plague.

Advice to Management

Get rid of management who constantly take credit for other peoples' work and throw others under the bus whenever something goes wrong. Reward teams that actually do well and don't just expect them to carry underperforming teams. Pay attention when a manager asks for help numerous times and says he doesn't have the resources he needs. Listen to new ideas and don't belittle others who dare to bring ideas to the table.

Mar 10, 2015 – CEO

Appreciate your feedback and we always take criticism as ways to improve. I also am very sorry that your experience here was not to your satisfaction. Let me address a few of your concerns ... More

On The Right Track For A Bright Future

I have been working at PlattForm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New leadership Evolving their business model based on changes in the industry New lines of revenue Talented, passionate employees

Cons

Still in the process of evolution Fiscal changes have had an impact on culture Shifting from a lead-gen company to a marketing agency has been challenging

Advice to Management

Stay the course! Change is difficult, but the industry needs companies who are able to evolve to meet the changing needs of students and educational institutions

Feb 10, 2015 – CEO

Evolving a business is hard. But with the rapid change in education we need to continue this progress fast to stay ahead of our competition. Change also can provide opportunities and new endeavors ... More

Did not meet any expectations.

I worked at PlattForm

Pros

There are some very good people employed there. Built good relationships. They try hard to afford you opportunities to be trained and mentored. (Although not well executed) I have taken a few skills with me to my next job.

Cons

The initial pay is significantly below market. It's not competitive. The jobs may have marketing related titles, but those interested in marketing will often be dissatisfied with the responsibilities they are given. The benefit of free health care is positioned as being a part of your salary. The CEO even said such in a luncheon with new employees. However, the health care is a below average plan. It would be worth it to work for a few thousand dollars more somewhere else (which isn't hard) and pay into their plan. The overall benefits package is sub par. Time off was below average. Taking a lunch was more or less discouraged in my department. The proclaimed dynamic culture falls on it's face, and winds up feeling more like high school than corporate culture. You will have a hard time finding time to play ping pong or pinball. Too much to be done. Your professional growth is limited to the compartmentalized responsibilities of one job function. You have to start all over again in a different position to really gain experience in other areas. This limits your opportunities outside of the company in regards to promotions. If you're an SEO Specialist at PlattForm, it'll be hard for you to develop other skill sets. You'll have to take a step back somewhere else to really learn those skills, or laterally within the company at a lower than average salary.

Advice to Management

Be more honest up front about job responsibilities and what you're looking for. There's a disconnect between what you're advertising and what you're looking for.

Feb 12, 2015 – CEO

First of all, I appreciate your comments. Second, I apologize that you did not have a great experience at PlattForm. I believe in our leadership, culture and our tremendous growth opportunity, but ... More

Don't Plan On Making This a Long Stop in Your Career

Former Employee - SEO Specialist in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - SEO Specialist in Lenexa, KS

I worked at PlattForm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They try to create a "fun" environment with video games and ping pong, but its just a farce to give the impression that the company is laid back.

Cons

Extremely high turnover rate. Not at all creative for an agency, wants the sun and the moon but doesn't give the tools you ask for to execute. Extremely frustrating cycle and environment to work in. Watch your back. People pretend to be friends here, but they've all got their eye over each other's shoulder. I've never seen anything like it.

Advice to Management

Provide your staff with the tools they need to do their jobs. If the skill of a member of another team is needed, supervisors should communicate to make it happen. An SEO person can't do the job of a graphic designer, and vice versa.

Feb 10, 2015 – CEO

It is disappointing to hear about your experience while an employee. I wish you success in your current endeavor. Steve Fireng, CEO

RSS Feed </> Embed