PlattForm Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
76 reviews filtered by

Did not meet any expectations.

I worked at PlattForm

Pros

There are some very good people employed there. Built good relationships.

They try hard to afford you opportunities to be trained and mentored. (Although not well executed)

I have taken a few skills with me to my next job.

Cons

The initial pay is significantly below market. It's not competitive.

The jobs may have marketing related titles, but those interested in marketing will often be dissatisfied with the responsibilities they are given.

The benefit of free health care is positioned as being a part of your salary. The CEO even said such in a luncheon with new employees. However, the health care is a below average plan. It would be worth it to work for a few thousand dollars more somewhere else (which isn't hard) and pay into their plan.

The overall benefits package is sub par. Time off was below average.

Taking a lunch was more or less discouraged in my department.

The proclaimed dynamic culture falls on it's face, and winds up feeling more like high school than corporate culture. You will have a hard time finding time to play ping pong or pinball. Too much to be done.

Your professional growth is limited to the compartmentalized responsibilities of one job function. You have to start all over again in a different position to really gain experience in other areas. This limits your opportunities outside of the company in regards to promotions. If you're an SEO Specialist at PlattForm, it'll be hard for you to develop other skill sets. You'll have to take a step back somewhere else to really learn those skills, or laterally within the company at a lower than average salary.

Advice to Management

Be more honest up front about job responsibilities and what you're looking for. There's a disconnect between what you're advertising and what you're looking for.

Feb 12, 2015CEO

First of all, I appreciate your comments. Second, I apologize that you did not have a great experience at PlattForm. I believe in our leadership, culture and our tremendous growth opportunity, but ... More

Don't Plan On Making This a Long Stop in Your Career

Former Employee - SEO Specialist in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - SEO Specialist in Lenexa, KS

I worked at PlattForm full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They try to create a "fun" environment with video games and ping pong, but its just a farce to give the impression that the company is laid back.

Cons

Extremely high turnover rate. Not at all creative for an agency, wants the sun and the moon but doesn't give the tools you ask for to execute. Extremely frustrating cycle and environment to work in. Watch your back. People pretend to be friends here, but they've all got their eye over each other's shoulder. I've never seen anything like it.

Advice to Management

Provide your staff with the tools they need to do their jobs. If the skill of a member of another team is needed, supervisors should communicate to make it happen. An SEO person can't do the job of a graphic designer, and vice versa.

Feb 10, 2015CEO

It is disappointing to hear about your experience while an employee. I wish you success in your current endeavor.

Steve Fireng, CEO

Very difficult place to work. Very department seems to have there own rules. No corporate consistency.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at PlattForm full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very casual dress code.
    Free soda.

Cons

Some people are very busy and some people do little or no work.
    Pods instead of cubes. You can have very bad pod mates and no privacy.
    The company is going down hill fast. Losing business due to new management.
    New management are blood suckers and no ethics.

Advice to Management

Value your employees instead of treating them like dirt.

Jan 20, 2015Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide your thoughts. PlattFormers do work in pods, and we have received positive feedback on this setup. It creates an atmosphere conducive to team-member ... More

The worst

I have been working at PlattForm full-time

Pros

Dress code, gym, decent health benefits, full dental, Every other Friday is a half day in the summer, the people, and the fact that I will soon be walking away from this dreaded company forever.

Cons

Where to begin? The pay is absolutely terrible. You will almost definitely be paid under market value unless at a higher management position. They recently had a raise cap across the board regardless of performance for anyone in line for a comp review (or in my case, a promotion I received that was delayed for salary review until my year anniversary that was greeted with a flat raise %). That was difficult knowing they have a massive budget for the Christmas party, a decently sized company picnic budget, and held a private event in Vegas with special guest Debbie Gibson that summer as a company.

They also fly the CEO in for like two days every two weeks. Seriously. We once had an all-company meeting and he flew in just for that and then announced he had to leave early from said meeting to catch a flight. It's all very strange. They try to conduct business a certain way, but still
    have these discrepancies.

There is also little to no growth. My supervisor was in her position for ten years before given a management position. Which is understandable I guess since they typically outside hire for anything above a supervisor. Most people who have worked here for as long as they have families so they like the flexibility of the company.

Terrible retention. Turnover is absolutely insane.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they're worth. It's one of the first things you learn in a management class in college: Retaining employees and paying them at or above market value is chaper than continuously training new employees.

LISTEN. There's been this long incentive to put focus back in employees for this new year, but that hasn't happened. Lots of initiatives or previous fun aspects of the company have just dissapated

Jan 26, 2015CEO

I’m sorry you have a negative view of PlattForm. Certainly, like most companies, we have our areas of opportunities, but many here have been working very hard to improve our company.

I would
    ... More

Plattform SUCCKKKSSSSS

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Lenexa, KS

I worked at PlattForm

Pros

Dress code, dress code, dress code, gym

Cons

A bunch of two faced ppl who are everything but transparent. Don't trust anyone. Pay is crappy. Unethical. Overworked and underpaid.

Advice to Management

Look up what it means to be ethical and fair

Jan 13, 2015Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your time working at PlattForm. We agree, the relaxed dress code is a perk, and the onsite gym is just one of our wellness programs we offer. We are a company that places integrity and ... More

I don't recommend, unless you are on the database side of things.

Former Employee - Creative
    Former Employee - Creative

I worked at PlattForm

Pros

Some of the people are really nice.

Cons

Low compensation, low creative standards, low budgets, management without experience working anywhere else, too reliant on old data, afraid to take risks. When my current company announced my hire, they left PlattForm out of my bio even though I included it in my resume. That speaks volumes.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Jan 13, 2015Manager, Talent Acquisition

We strongly encourage PlattFormers to have open and frank conversations with their supervisors when they have differing ideas about work processes and tools. Hopefully, you were able to discuss your ... More

Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at PlattForm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Culture is great, people are great! 401k is amazing. My direct supervisor is great and always has my back.

Cons

Salaries are below industry standard. Upper management does not hire enough people in most areas which lends to a poor work/life balance. Many people have to work overtime consistently to pick up the slack.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, provide more consistent training, pay people what they're worth.

Jan 6, 2015Manager, Talent Acquisition

That’s wonderful you value the culture and stellar people we have here at PlattForm. We know salary competitiveness has been an issue. Throughout the past nine months, PlattForm has made salary ... More

Since PlattForm changed ownership, they no longer demonstrate that they realize the worth of their employees and they are no longer committed to the culture the founder established.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at PlattForm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the reasons I liked working at PlattForm was the allowance to wear casual clothing.

Cons

Upper management cares only about the bottom line. They do not care about their employees and what they need to be successful in their positions. The Human Resource Team is supposed to be an advocate for employee concerns and work toward equitable resolutions. The Vice President of Human Resources is not a person who can be trusted to have the best interest of the employee in mind, even if she knows that the employee had been treated unfairly.

Advice to Management

Go back to the original philosophy of the business and why it was so successful in the beginning and sustained the volatility of advertising business cycle... It's the PEOPLE-EMPLOYEE'S that created the foundation for the success. Without a great Foundation, all businesses will fail!

Jan 6, 2015Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for working with PlattForm for three years. We agree that our employees are the foundation of the company and are crucial to its success. For this reason, we’re committed to supporting our ... More

All hype.... No substance... Good for those just starting out.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I worked at PlattForm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Casual dress code
    Overall really nice coworkers
    Free Coke Freestyle machine

Cons

There are several cons. The biggest of which are:

Terrible Pay/That ever elusive promotion that you have been working hard towards.
    Long hours accompanied by being guilted into working longer/more because everyone else is.
    High turnover rate.
    Way too many scheduled/impromptu "coaching sessions".

Long story short, there are many other Ad Agencies in the KC area to work for. PF was once able to hide behind their awesome "Culture" and sense of family. That is no longer the case. They aren't the worst, but are certainly nowhere near being one of the best companies to work for in the city like before.

Advice to Management

Won't waste my time here. You're very profitable, so why rock the boat?

PlattForm’s been slowly going downhill for years, but now it's sprinting.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I worked at PlattForm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

PlattForm was a blessing during my first couple of years. I took a 30% pay cut in order to get into the advertising world, and I was happy to do so. I became close to many team members and produced some lifelong friends. Life was good.

Current perks:
    -Decent amount of PTO
    -Fantastic coworkers for the most part
    -Relaxed dress code
    -Management generally doesn't micromanage
    -The company makes profit hand over fist, and it's not going anywhere (quite stable, even with recent industry-related scares)
    -They’re willing to take a chance on those with no experience (they have to at the salaries they offer)
    -Free soda
    -Plenty of free parking (it’s in Lenexa)

Cons

As time went on, I became more and more bogged down with work, often staying an hour or two after most others went home. Some teams would always seem to have plenty of time on their hands; enough to constantly play ping pong & Mario Kart, or to just run up and down the hallways yelling like children.

Poor employees were given promotions while promises of promotions & better compensation came and went for me. Seniors & up were transferred to our team from declining teams, effectively nullifying promotions for most of us for a long time.

Fast-forward to 2013/14: New ownership. New CEO. We’re told by management that Sterling Partners is aware of PlattForm’s inadequacies and is committed to providing more competitive pay and various other improvements.

Strike one:
    Healthcare premiums went from being completely covered to only partially covered, with less than 3 weeks’ notice before the changes went into effect. It would’ve been much more palatable if they'd made an early announcement that this was going to change during the FOLLOWING fiscal year. The reason we were given: there were a couple of million-dollar medical claims as well as more pregnancies than most companies of similar size. Human Resources seemingly did not shop around for cheaper insurance rates as they’ve done in the past. Will PlattForm take on a larger percentage of premiums again in the future if costs go back down? Unlikely.

The popular wellness incentive program was also scrapped at this time, stealing 5 yearly vacation days from most employees. Thank goodness for the soda machine!

Strike two:
    Many PlattFormers were laid off in April 2014. As unlucky employees (some of whom should NOT have been laid off) were plucked from their cubes by various managers, our new CEO was hanging out in the hallway cracking jokes and laughing while we mourned for our colleagues. It was not a good day, and the whole situation could have been handled so much better.

Strike three:
    My 2014 raise was one of the worst I've received during my professional career - in both dollars and percentage. This was supposedly implemented company-wide. We all know how much profit they make. We see the numbers. There’s no reason why PlattForm can’t afford to take care of its employees. “Sterling Partners is committed to providing more competitive pay.”

It has become clear that PlattForm has shifted its focus in the wake of Sterling’s acquisition. The powers that be no longer truly care about their employees. They want to make a buck by any means necessary - end of story. Michael Platt and Dave Admire had their shortcomings, but they are sorely missed.

Current cons:
    -Pitiful compensation vs. similar companies (my current employer balked when I told him my salary)
    -Deteriorating benefits
    -Poor decision-making and communication from HR and C-level management (post Platt/Admire/Booth-era)
    -Employee retention is a massive issue, making work more difficult for those who haven't yet migrated to Intouch
    -It is absolutely the least-creative advertising agency in the country
    -High school atmosphere (goal-setting, required book-reading, quasi-mandatory “fun”, etc.)

Advice to Management

Stop writing reviews on glassdoor. 5 stars? Pay concerns have been “made right”? How deceptive! You admit turnover is still an issue. Why do you suppose that is?