PlattForm

Updated December 17, 2014
2.4

PlattForm Chief Executive Officer Steve Fireng
Steve Fireng

Pros
  • Benefits, casual dress code, gym (in 11 reviews)

• It is laid back with a casual dress code, and younger people (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not hire enough people in most areas which lends to a poor work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• High school atmosphere (goal-setting, required book-reading, quasi-mandatory (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Not what it seems

I worked at PlattForm

Pros

Casual dress, decent benefits, some (small) perks

Cons

By their own admission, PlattForm does not pay their employees very well compared to other local companies in the industry. They mask everything in corporate culture, but having a Wii, pool table and free soda in the break room does not make up for low salaries and an uncertain future. The turnover rate is unreal. PlattForm hires a lot of entry level employees and works them until they burn out, realize there's no real opportunity for advancement, or they see through the facade. They do not promote from within very often and employees are pigeon-holed - when they want to branch out into other areas, some of which they are more qualified for, they don't get that opportunity.

Many employees describe the procedures as inefficient. There are teams that lack real leadership and understanding of the services they provide for clients. At best, they are inconsistent and at worse, they don't have any idea why they do what they do. Clients' budgets are spent on things they do not need simply because it's available, rather than redirecting budget to areas where the client needs to have attention.

A new CEO was brought in, followed by a round of layoffs and some odd terminations, causing some employees to take a hard look at their future with PlattForm. More layoffs could be inevitable until the company finds its direction while squeezing profits and productivity from a low-paid and increasingly over-worked group of employees.

Right the ship and find some direction. Get a handle on turnover. Pay employees what they're worth. Promote a real corporate culture where employees know they are valued, have some security and possibility for advancement.

Great company, growing company, leader in their field.

I have been working at PlattForm

Pros

Fast growing company. Expanding into several different areas. Great people and can be a fun environment. Leader in the education marketing space.

Cons

Not as many growth opportunities from within.

Going down hill

I worked at PlattForm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some great people who still work at the company. The 401K and some of the other benefits are good. Casual dress code.

Cons

This company started out as something special, but it has changed and not for the good. Multiple rounds of lay-off's, followed by unreasonable budget expectations, and an extremely stressful toxic environment have ruined this company. When the Chairman tells everybody he has brought in a new CEO to make him a lot of money, and he makes jokes prior to informing the company of lay-off's you have a problem.

Top it all off with a dip in the education business and this company is on it's way down. Prediction is that it is flipped again by 2018 and stripped for parts. The company is currently run by a lot of people who have never worked any where else. So for 10-15 years these officer level people have worked there, right out of college, and they think the way the founder treats people and ran the company is the right way.

They mask everything behind "culture". But a company's culture isn't about free candy, soda machines, ping pong tables, and being able to wear flip flops in the summer. The culture is about the people. Not the executive team, but the actual worker bee's who make the company run. Until they figure that out PF will continue to head south.

I used to love working at PF, for about 3 years then I thought things just got worse and worse and worse and worse. When I go into interviews I have actually had people snicker at me when they see PF on my resume. As if they know the company is a joke.

How do you go from the number one agency in town for two years in a row and no longer even be in the top 3 now? By only focusing on inflating budget numbers to try to trick somebody into buying your company. Then, don't deliver. The budgets year over year are so aggressive they cannot be hit. Especially with the education market in a serious down swing. DO NOT GO TO WORK HERE!!!!! They are literally re-arranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

Allow your middle management and the employees the manage to actually do the job you hired them for. Tell the executive level employees to grow up. It's not high school and you're not in a "click". You all just keep promoting yourselves with stupid new titles every year. Chief Analysis and budgeting Officer or Chief Culture Officer or some other BS title to give someone a pay raise who doesn't need it or deserve it.

You can't run your company based on self help books that you force your employees to read. BTW, they all think it's stupid, but can't speak up out of fear. You need to focus on the employees. Pay them more, treat them more fairly and actually value them. You consistently screw people over and pay them poorly so that the rich can keep getting richer.

I learned a lot, made some memories, made some friends, but this is not a long-term viable career option.

Former Employee - Senior Position in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Senior Position in Lenexa, KS

I worked at PlattForm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- The company has grown rapidly, and is projected to continue to grow.
    - The company is investing in a number of new tools and products to streamline the business.
    - You'll learn a ton, which makes you more valuable when you leave PlattForm.
    - Gives young people a shot at being hired for entry-level positions.
    - An 8% 401K match program can't be found anywhere else.
    - PTO is very competitive. Plus, extended time off around holidays, "Flex Fridays" in the summers, etc.

Cons

- The turnover is unbelievably bad. I've never seen anything like it.
    - Two rounds lay-offs in 16 years. Untold numbers of job shifts for those left in the wake.
    - Opportunities for growth are limited, but the turnover is abysmal, so you could get promoted that way?
    - Management is inconsistent, and sometimes painfully ineffective. While many of the managers are excellent, there are some that are downright inept and should not be leading entire teams of people.
    - Many are overworked, most all are underpaid.

- Invest in your employees. Pay them what they are worth.
    - Invest in a management training program.

Not what they say it is.

I worked at PlattForm full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Casual dress, good people entry-level and perks if you have any time to utilize them.

Cons

I was only at Plattform for a few months before I left. I was a hard worker and a loyalist eager to excel and produce for the company coming in. One of the worst things I found about the company almost immediately was that their training program is very poorly organized. No one seemed to know what I should be trained on or by whom, many times I was just randomly assigned to someone who didn't know what I was supposed to be trained on at all and would wing it. I was routinely trained on programs and resources, would take extensive notes and then be told after the fact "Oh, you'll probably never have to use this though."

The tasks I was expected to complete daily and actually needed more training on I seemed to receive the least training on. This leaves you very poorly-prepared to deal with the tasks that are actually required of you on a daily basis. Then, management throws you into a lion's den and expects you to churn out an obscene amount of work for the amount of training you have received. I was working 10-12 hours a day to get everything done for meager pay, and never had any time to play ping pong or pool or whatever else they have there for "culture".

I was also vastly misled to believe my position entailed client interaction and creative work, when this was not the case at all. Spreadsheet after spreadsheet of mindless work you never see the fruits of eventually gave me no choice but to resign only to increase my own quality of life.

Train new hires extensively on exactly what they will be doing first, then on random programs and processes they will rarely be using as needed. If you equip your hires with the tools to do their main duties initially, they will be much better prepared to complete their daily tasks and move on from there.
    Also, don't give new hires ridiculous amounts of work they are unfamiliar with an expect insane turnarounds as if they have been there years.

Be less about "culture" and more about ensuring the success of your employees.

It was great in the beginning.....

Current Employee - Client Service in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Client Service in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at PlattForm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The great culture and enviroment. They have a work hard play hard mentality. My co-workers; really made alot of great friends and made going to work every day fun.

Cons

The benefits were great and was a tremendous perk since the salary was below standards. Benefits changed up this year making it not as attractive. The fun culture and environment can only go so far. There is alot of turnover with this company.

Better compensation for employees especially when they are very dedicated and hard working people. Since the new investment group came on board it felt like people were forgotten about and we were just a bottom number company. Realizing we need to hit goals, don't forget about the tremendous people that get you there.

If the culture is so great, why is the turn over rate so high?

I have been working at PlattForm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the people here are incredibly dedicated and smart. They are wonderful to work with every day.

Cons

They just GREATLY reduced company benefits, removing the health and wellness 5 days of time off you could earn, reducing maternity, and health insurance just went way up- with only 2 weeks notice till it all kicks in. Not good internal PR, it was a shock.

Some employees who are client facing are under prepared for the importance and demands of their complex job roles.

Most of the upper management is gone now- new CEO, people retiring early, and it seems every other day there is another employee just *gone* - let go and nobody knows why.

Fix the employee retention- make this a place where the good employees stay.

Still Trying to find itself

Current Employee - Magical Super Hero in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Magical Super Hero in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at PlattForm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

people, pop machine, decent vacation

Cons

overworked, underpaid, expected to excel at performing tasks outside skill set, creative people managed by non-creative people who dont know how to properly manage creative people

give your client base more credit for their own intelligence, talk to them like people, take risks, stop being so chicken about doing something risky or emotionally driven, practice what you preach and stop hiding behind empty words like THOUGHT LEADER

Great place to start, growth can be a challange

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at PlattForm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In office perks are a plus

Cons

No always a clear path to growth

A good stepping stone, but leaves much to be desired for career advancement.

I worked at PlattForm full-time

Pros

PlattForm is a good stepping stone for people just getting into the advertising business. You are given the chance to get your feet wet and cut your teeth on many applications and situtations that you have read about and exercised in your college advertising courses. The majority of the people there are fresh out of college, so socializing and making friends is easy.

Cons

For the work that is put into the job, you will not see as much financial compensation for your effort as you would hope to see. When something is not done correctly, blame is a frequent hot potato that is passed along from person to person. Clients are constantly trying to whittle down the amount of time and money it will take to complete projects down to near unreasonable levels.

Learn how to properly compensate your hard working employees. Reestablish a culture where employees feel like you have their backs when the clients come with issues.