Platts Reviews

Reset
2.7
Larry Neal

1. Nice company to work with

I have been working at Platts

Pros

Good work/life balance, flexible timing, motivated environment.

Cons

relationship between technology and business.

2. Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Windsor, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Windsor, CO

I worked at Platts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company overall, great benefits, and quality people.

Cons

Smaller departments have a hard time getting attention from upper management unless they are working on a multi-million dollar project. You need to learn to make do with what you have.

Great culture, except a few bad eggs

I worked at Platts full-time

Pros

Upper management is very involved in creating a better culture
    Fun work environment

Cons

The mid-level managers were either way too hands off or way too hands on-- there didn't seem to be any happy medium. I was forced to work with people who still didn't know how to do their jobs after 2 years of being there and it made it really tough for everyone else to perform. Then I had to work with people who worked for micromanagers, so they were too timid and scared to do anything.

Advice to Management

Get your mid-level leaders to the same level of quality leadership that you perform... The senior leaders were exemplary in motivating and educating, but they didn't seem to understand that their mid-level managers were actually inhibiting performance.

5. I was a reporter.

I worked at Platts full-time

Pros

Platts provided a friendly, casual work environment where you could surround yourself with intellectual challenges fostered by a collaborative culture. The staff comprised some of the best in the field, and the company provided ample room to grow.

Cons

The biggest downside was a bureaucratic culture that came with the territory of being part of a large multinational conglomerate. That amplified everyday frustrations such as dealing with HR or tech support to a degree those accustomed to smaller companies might find offputting.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, but try to cut down on some of the corporate red tape. Granted I left before the McGraw-Hill split so it's entirely possible this problem already has been addressed.

Non-Sales

I have been working at Platts full-time

Pros

Loads of flexibility with understanding managers who trust you to get the job done without breathing down your neck.

Cons

very little upward mobility. and if you're based in asia, abandon any thoughts of advancement unless you're willing to relocate.

Associate Editor

I worked at Platts

Pros

Relaxed environment, flexible schedule, start pay

Cons

Bureaucracy, too many mid-managers, everything moves slowly

Advice to Management

Have less

Interesting company, in transition

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Platts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting products, good opportunity for growth

Cons

Looks like there are more growth opportunities outside he the houston office

Improving, but a long way to go

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Platts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a growing company. A lot of opportunities to contribute and establish foundations and practices, if you're in the right spot. Not highly stressful - good work/life balance.

Cons

Poor relationship between business and technology. If you're in technology, you're working as a slave at a service desk. Little opportunity for growth in technology. No career path in technology. Relationships are difficult to build.

Advice to Management

Improve the relationship between business and technology. Find opportunities to leverage best-of-breed technology offerings, instead of S&P Ratings retreads. Consider technology career paths. Fix the vendor relationships, and they way they're managed.

A mixed bag of opportunities

I worked at Platts full-time

Pros

This is a great place for working parents - even though their maternity and paternity leave is the standard 6 weeks, the culture promotes a flexible work schedule, allowing people to attend doctors appointments, day care visits, etc. as needed. Outside of editorial, roles aren't constantly tied to the office, and the IT infrastructure allows people to work from home if you have the right relationship with your manager. Coming from the non-editorial side, sales and marketing generally gets to travel a good amount, also. Colleagues are generally nice and professional, which I'd rank as better than average in relation to other work places I've experienced.

Cons

Like everywhere else, there are politics. Even though the headquarters is in NYC, the power base has shifted to London, making it more difficult for those working outside those offices to get the exposure needed to move up in their career. They have an excellent on-boarding process, but their training consists of old training modules - you would definitely have to be a proactive learner here.

Advice to Management

The CEO is pretty much absent outside of "writing" letters and recording videos about the earnings. Platts is led by a group of general managers (one per commodity group), which have varied styles of leadership and communication. It has its positives but also fosters internal competition for resources and power struggles.

Great products - unethical sales practices encouraged by inept management

Current Employee - Sales in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales in Denver, CO

I have been working at Platts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great clients - Nothing to do with Platts

Cons

We are told avoid using the words like we have a monopoly on contracts because we do. If clients don't pay for extra users and higher prices, cut them off. They will come running back to you and pay what you tell them. No money for travel, inept and divisive management though we are firing (reassigning two of the top guys this week). Customers will hate you for the forced business practices.

Advice to Management

Run your firm fairly. Don't lead by intimidation. Pay your people a living wage. Worked here for years and made less every year. Over 1/2 of our group have resigned and started competing firms.

RSS Feed </> Embed