PlayPhone

Updated August 5, 2014
Updated August 5, 2014
3.7

Ron Czerny

Fantastic experience for an internship

Former Employee - Content in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Content in San Mateo, CA

I worked at PlayPhone as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I had a really supportive supervisor who always looked out for me so I can grow. I like that my department was small and it was easy for me to seek advice, not only in the work space but also in career and life.

Cons

Not much opportunities in terms of employment. I feel like the positions are already set. I definitely would've loved working there full-time.

Unnecessary Changes

I have been working at PlayPhone full-time

Pros

Business growth, flexible schedule, and free lunches.

Cons

Cumbersome Office Politics. Tactical hearsay to push one's own advancement or to belittle other departments. The realization that no matter how hard you work or the ideas you have, management mainly listens only to others in the manager role. Mandatory company meetings that talk about nothing other than ego and ideas that have not been fully realized.

Stop shifting the corporate strategy once it starts working. Focus on the company as a whole instead of pleasing individuals or single departments.

Good Place, Nice People.

Former Employee - Accounting in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting in San Mateo, CA

I worked at PlayPhone full-time

Pros

The people are nice and friendly, the work is challenging, very flexible hours, and the environment is fun.

Cons

The company moved further away from the original location so the commute got worse for a lot of people.

Keep doing what you're doing, it seems to be working.

Well run company with strong ability to deliver carrier grade product

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PlayPhone full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Consistently delivering. If you want to work hard, there is endless opportunity. Well rounded engineering function, not too bloated. Marketing team strong and experienced in both user acquisition and corporate marketing. Tons of opportunity and adoption by major carriers shows proof of concept. Mature and experienced executive management weathers storms effectively never losing scope of the goals.

Cons

Feels corporate sometimes which seems to complicate things (but in the delivery to carriers and developers sometimes its important to have that structure).

Hire strong hands-on leaders. Management has done a good job navigating the boat, and the crew is good at their individual job, but not enough "in the trenches" leaders to really propel each team.

PlayPhone has a great future

I have been working at PlayPhone full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun to be in mobile gaming. Recent growth and partnerships feels like it validates the product and strategic direction. Good culture. Management listens to feedback and responds accordingly. Lots of opportunity - all employees have voice and can impact results.

Cons

Fast changing environment. People who have difficulty adapting to change quickly may have problems keeping up. Teams are small, so multi-tasking is important. Communication between offices could be improved.

I think it's a great place to work. Keep doing what you're doing.

Political Nightmare

Former Employee - Content in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Content in San Jose, CA

I worked at PlayPhone as a contractor

Pros

Everyone is allowed an opinion.

Cons

No one ever makes decisions.

Create a company strategy and go with it! Stop changing the course every time someone has a short term problem or politicizes their opinions (which are mostly invalid and ill-informed)

Great Learning Experience!

Current Employee - Servant
    Current Employee - Servant

I have been working at PlayPhone full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At Playphone I learned how to follow rules like never before. Everyone around me was following rules all the time so I learned to never question authority and to do precisely what I was told. I was very happy to see I never got involved into any complicated decision process so I never had to think about anything.

All I had to do is to do precisely what my smart and superior managers already prepared to me. I never had to argue with them because they were all so much smarter than us I always had the chance to simply do what they say without doubt.

I never had to question them or argue with them. These managers are superiors compared to us, the simple workers. The owner is so superior he basically never even talks with the simple workers, but he still gives us big speeches from time to time which makes us feel better. Every time after his speeches the whole company is bursting out into applause for a long time which makes me feel very happy and important. I can be part of something bigger than me.

I am very happy since at Playphone I never have to think, so I don't have to face with the consequences of a bad decision which I could make on my own otherwise. My managers are never making bad decisions, bad decisions are always the workers' fault.

Cons

There is nothing wrong I can tell. I wish there would be some uniform enforced since there is still a little space for personality which is disturbing and demoralizing in my opinion.

Also it would be great to disallow workers to use the same elevators as our superiors (the managers), because the pure presence of the simple workers in the same space with the managers could be stigmatizing for the managers. Workers should use the stairs only. I think the management is too nice and workers are taking advantage of it.

I have four words for you! I love this company!
    God Bless Playphone and The Management!

Best place to be for cutting edge mobile technology

Current Employee - Senior Director Content in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director Content in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PlayPhone full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

PlayPhone is a great company to work for, the technology is always on the cutting edge. The bosses are very hands off and trusting of the staff to follow though without micro management or looking over your shoulder. The team members are friendly and everyone is generally happy. It's really an enjoyable environment. When you have ideas they listen and the door to upper management is always open, they even encourage your participation which can make you feel valuable and appreciated. I would recommend to anyone who is looking for a good challenge and great new place to showcase their talents.

Cons

Mobile is growing fast so there is no shortage of work.

Great Team Experience

I have been working at PlayPhone full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good team environment where we all get along and get the jobs done and go that extra mile!

Cons

Communication could be better amongst the leaders to the teams on independent projects

Get the teams involved earlier

Flexible, those who focus on doing well get far. Those who blend in don't survive.

Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PlayPhone full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, approachable C's, nice office, daily/weekly lunch, fully stocked kitchen, free gym in SJ, mostly friendly people.

Mentorship for those who seek it from their managers, opportunities to grow and become engaged with other groups within the company, your contributions are known (or lack of).

Cons

Communication between the two offices in CA affects corporate synergy. Some employees seem to blend into the background but for the most part they don't last long.