Playfirst

Updated Feb 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Marco DeMiroz

Well balanced, collaborative and transparent company.

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Playfirst full-time for more than a year

Pros* Approachable and available leadership.
* Culture of transparency in decision making.
* Tries as much as possible to make decisions collaboratively
* Great food and culture perks - balanced events and perks - I don't feel overwhelmed by activities that could interfere with my job duties, but enough to remind me why I like tech jobs.

Cons* There've been growing pains. The management team really tries to promote up, but sometimes the people that are promoted aren't quite ready for the higher title, and their growing pains become the teams growing pains.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromoting from within is awesome, but maybe use more Jr. titles, and ease into the extra responsibilities.

Nice people that are a pleasure to work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Playfirst full-time

ProsThe staff are genuinely nice people and great to work with. They are also smart and talented. There is free food such as daily breakfast, rotating snacks and non-alcoholic beverages. Some play Rock Band in the game room after work. Though alcohol is no longer provided for free like most start-ups, it can be brought in for some after work fun after a hard day or to celebrate a milestone.

There is a lot of collaboration going on, sometimes too much. But let's leave that as a pro.

ConsAs much as they claim there is none, there is plenty of politics among the upper levels. Beware of backstabbers and people who pretend to be hard asses but can't stand up for their own team. There is no politics if you agree with everything the leaders say. If you don't, just be careful, or be a critical part of the team because if you're not, you'll be readily replaced. There is a reason why most of the staff has been at the company for less than a year and a half.

There is a lot of reactive instead of pro-active decision making. Often decisions are made with little data (from a very short time frame) which impact the teams who have to scramble to accommodate these "emergencies". Deadlines are also tight and are determined by the business people, not the ones who do the actual work so be prepared to work long hours if you're on a production team.

There is also decision making by committee in some departments. Those departments suffer from leaders who cannot make a decision without approval from external departments, often ignoring their own team when it comes down to the final stretch.

Finger pointing happens - if something goes terribly wrong, be prepared to have emails, IMs and other items on hand to prove you were doing your job. Some leaders will blame other teams for things going wrong or will have unrealistic expectations that result in consequences that they can't take responsibility for.

Advice to Senior ManagementCollaboration is good but at the end of the day, make your own decision instead of getting universal approval. Plan ahead and stop reacting to every little blip on the radar. Listen to your teams, don't force your agenda on them and expect perfection.

Its OK company. not much up side

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Playfirst full-time for less than a year

ProsGood work life balance. Good people used to be there.

ConsNo business strategy or energy in upper management

Smoke and Mirrors

Producer (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Playfirst full-time for more than a year

Pros- Location
- Nice food perks, such as free snacks
- Benefits
- The Few good people left who haven't been terminated and are trying to make good games.

Cons- Unqualified "executives" who are poor people managers, lack integrity and are more concerned with protecting themselves than with providing a positive work environment (such that employees do not feel empowered nor are they recognized for all the sacrifices they have made for the company).

- All reviews processes have been removed and so you are just left scratching your head as to if you're working towards anything ever and if there is any improvements it might be too late.

- Irrational decision making - see advice

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you disagree with someones opinion or ideas try figure out a solution instead of terminating them so you can sweep it under the rug. Don't let VPs bully their own team members and throw them under the bus.

Great people, dysfunctional leadership

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
Orinda, CA

I have been working at Playfirst

ProsGreat people, casual environment, good benefits.

ConsLeadership is constantly changing and as it does, so does your role in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better with your people.

Wonderful people make this a great place to work.

I have been working at Playfirst

ProsNumber one reason: the people. They are smart, talented, funny, and best of all? Decent human beings.

Next are the perks - playing games for work, the game room, free food, laptops for every employee, the great view of the bay.

ConsSome departments aren't treated as well as others - some have a great work-life balance, others are overworked though they try to give them lots of food to keep them sane.

Advice to Senior ManagementLove the games we make, be sincerely passionate about the industry that we're in.

Great talent, volatile strategies, lack of vision and technical discipline.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Playfirst

ProsTalented engineers and designers to work with
Flexible work schedules
Many fun things to do
Cutting edge technology

ConsVolatile strategies
Lack of transparency
Irrational decision making
Excessive pressure
Cut throat competitiveness

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is important to factor in technological challenges in making business decisions and people should be respected for their ideas, not for agreeing with the management.

Great first job

Marketing Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Playfirst

ProsFun people. good atmosphere, challenging work, qualified senior managment

ConsNot a large name in the industry depsite successful products

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more career pathing to provide direction and recognition for stellar employees.

Great Leadership!

I have been working at Playfirst

ProsCEO is a super smart business person with ethics.

ConsIndustry is moving fast...must stay competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Great people, great games, great views!

I have been working at Playfirst

Pros- I enjoy working with the people in the office
- the work environment is open and friendly
- while there are exceptions from time to time, compared to other places, there is a lot of respect shown amongst employees and between employees and management
- great communication - regular company meetings, emails, etc. so you know what's going on
- fun company activities
- Making Games
- Great views over the bay

Cons- games industry is changing really fast and the company has had to do a lot of shifting over the past couple of years - this can be hard, but also invigorating to know we're not just sticking our heads in the sand
- did I mention lots of change?

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate even more - with all the change, it's helpful to understand "why".

More creativity - sometimes we get too heads down working on projects, and we need to remember we're making GAMES! Fun! Creativity!

Worked for Playfirst? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Playfirst reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Playfirst CEO Marco DeMiroz. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Playfirst employees.