Playfirst

Updated Jun 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Marco DeMiroz

Outstanding workplace if your are lucky

Data Warehouse Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI was one of the lucky ones who could get a chance to work with the best minds. I learned tremendously on new technology stacks such AWS, big data and so on.

Marco truly cares about the success of the team.

Free Breakfast every day
    Free Snacks/Drinks

Overall, a great journey for me.

Best technology stack.
    Melissa is a rockstar!!

ConsUsual politics among the team(blame game between teams) that could have been easily avoided.
    Commute (I live in South bay)
    Attrition which is usual in gaming industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease put a tight wrap on unnecessary politics and keep up the good work.

Great company with lots of visibility and personal/professional growth opportunities.

ProsHigh visibility.
    Collaborative environment.
    Casual environment with continual feedback and response.
    A high amount of transparency from the top down.
    Teams are very cohesive.
    The people here are SMART!!
    Catered breakfast everyday, and always a variety of fun company events.

ConsDecisions can be made quickly, often causing a lot of head spin, but ultimately all decisions are made for the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes move a little slower with transitions.

I've been working for PlayFirst for a few years and really enjoying it.

ProsThe company has some really smart people. Some of the recent hires bring a lot of industry experience. The tech we work on is cutting edge. We've really built up a lot of experience in the mobile sector and are ahead of the current pack of mobile developers in a lot of ways.

ConsAs with others in the industry the going can get tough at times. Some projects are successful, others are not.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to the advice of those in the game pods. Combined they have a huge amount of industry experience. Good management is a combination of listening to others along with decisive decision making.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

super super company!

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosit is rare that you get so many top smart folks together that get along and make great teams
    fun positive happy place with fantastic benefits
    really a nice balanced workplace for minorities and women

Consthere isn't a con to share at this point, maybe if you don't have experience with small high growth profitable companies in the City -- that might put an incoming employee in a position where they have a bit to learn -- there is nothing PlayFirst specific to list in this column

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it going, your efforts to date are appreciated by the staff, Marco is a knock your socks off CEO!! a top notch human being, excellent manager with CFO chops at the core of his skill set

Well balanced, collaborative and transparent company.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros* Approachable and available leadership.
    * Culture of transparency in decision making.
    * Tries as much as possible to make decisions collaboratively
    * Great food and culture perks - balanced events and perks - I don't feel overwhelmed by activities that could interfere with my job duties, but enough to remind me why I like tech jobs.

Cons* There've been growing pains. The management team really tries to promote up, but sometimes the people that are promoted aren't quite ready for the higher title, and their growing pains become the teams growing pains.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromoting from within is awesome, but maybe use more Jr. titles, and ease into the extra responsibilities.

Great people, great games, great views!

Pros- I enjoy working with the people in the office
    - the work environment is open and friendly
    - while there are exceptions from time to time, compared to other places, there is a lot of respect shown amongst employees and between employees and management
    - great communication - regular company meetings, emails, etc. so you know what's going on
    - fun company activities
    - Making Games
    - Great views over the bay

Cons- games industry is changing really fast and the company has had to do a lot of shifting over the past couple of years - this can be hard, but also invigorating to know we're not just sticking our heads in the sand
    - did I mention lots of change?

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate even more - with all the change, it's helpful to understand "why".

More creativity - sometimes we get too heads down working on projects, and we need to remember we're making GAMES! Fun! Creativity!

Its OK company. not much up side

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood work life balance. Good people used to be there.

ConsNo business strategy or energy in upper management

Wonderful people make this a great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsNumber one reason: the people. They are smart, talented, funny, and best of all? Decent human beings.

Next are the perks - playing games for work, the game room, free food, laptops for every employee, the great view of the bay.

ConsSome departments aren't treated as well as others - some have a great work-life balance, others are overworked though they try to give them lots of food to keep them sane.

Advice to Senior ManagementLove the games we make, be sincerely passionate about the industry that we're in.

Great first job

Marketing Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFun people. good atmosphere, challenging work, qualified senior managment

ConsNot a large name in the industry depsite successful products

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more career pathing to provide direction and recognition for stellar employees.

Great Leadership!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCEO is a super smart business person with ethics.

ConsIndustry is moving fast...must stay competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Worked for Playfirst? Contribute to the Community!