Playworks Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Jill Vialet

Better than most NGOs, but suffers growing pains

I have been working at Playworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, fantastic mission, excellent goal-oriented programs, joyful kids, decentralized operations, replicable and scalable results, office recess

Cons

Growing pains. The organization went from four offices to 23 offices in a few short years and is still sore from the transitions.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to how the external training business is being managed. Get national fundraising under control. Give more local autonomy over how a region operates/grows.

2. Americorp is a rip off

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Playworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with students is an amazing experience.

Cons

Poor management structure, promotion not based on merit but who will kiss up, little pay for a lot of work, will try to manipulate you to over work and spend your own funds of students, and lie to your face regarding issues

Advice to Management

Fix the system and pay Program Coordinators what they are worth. Working over 45 hours a week without decent pay is no way to live.

3. Good experience

I have been working at Playworks

Pros

Fun, fast paced, meaningful, exciting community engagement

Cons

Sometimes disorganized, can be difficult to communicate with the right person

Advice to Management

Be more transparent

Director

I have been working at Playworks full-time

Pros

Inclusive, flexible and caring culture. Excellent benefits. Liberal dress code- can come to work in shorts/jeans... anything comfortable.

Cons

Salaries lower than industry standards. Salary increases and performance reviews are minimal. There's a certain tension between the regions and the National organization,which is based in Oakland, CA, with regards to 'equity issues.'

Advice to Management

Increase salaries to industry standards to keep valuable human resources. Strengthen the National board to give the organization some prestige.

6. I am in charge of planing and running a safe and healthy recess, coach leagues, and run after school program.

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Phila, PA

I have been working at Playworks

Pros

fun, healthy, good experience, great leadership

Cons

not a lot of pay, no pay incentive

Playful Professional

Current Employee - Program Director
    Current Employee - Program Director

I have been working at Playworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and is evidence based organization. They are open to innovation, idea sharing and building great relationships. The organization make a great positive impact on the communities they serve.

Cons

Can be a little slow to react to situations.

8. Great Internship Experience!

Former Employee - Intern in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Oakland, CA

I worked at Playworks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office at the National Office in Oakland has a relaxed atmosphere with hard working people that are passionate about making a difference in the community. As an intern, I received a nice balance between management instruction and independence of figure out projects on my own. My projects were both interesting and challenging.

Cons

One of the obstacles the office seemed to have was a lack of communication between different departments in the company and between the National Office and Regional Offices around the country. As a result, there was a lack of synchrony in the messaging and strategies between aspects of the organization ranging from marketing materials to donor approaches.

9. Strong mission and passion at a unique work environment!

I worked at Playworks full-time

Pros

The mission of this nonprofit is really amazing. They try to bring that both onto the recess spaces in which they work as well as in the offices of the staff. There was a great work/life balance that won't be easy to find elsewhere.

Cons

Not much strategy by leadership when it came to department growth. The HR department struggled and there was some misbehavior that went unhanded for a long time due to, well, it being HR. Lacking in transparency at times when it came to dealing with different challenges which made staff feel very left out and scared for what would happen to their jobs.

Advice to Management

Communicate more. Support more strategic thinking across all teams. Keep working with the great passion you have!

10. Lots of work and some play

I have been working at Playworks full-time

Pros

Recess! Core values. Friendly people.

Cons

Always changing systems. HR understaffed so can't be supportive. Everyone has to fundraise, regardless of role.

11. Without exaggeration, best job I've ever had

Former Employee - Program Coordinator
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator

I worked at Playworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get paid to play! As a Coach, you come into the school and help foster a positive change in school culture through games and heading recess. The Playworks Coach is the most popular person at school! Pay is decent, especially when you consider that you get paid days off for all school vacations and breaks, except for summer vacation. Believe me, after expending all of that energy on a daily basis, you'll need those days off!

Cons

After doing all that great work, there's no guarantee you'll have a job with them the next school year. I would have loved to stay on with them, but they brought in a bunch of AmeriCorps members that can be worked more and paid much less.

Advice to Management

I believe no company should allow it's best employees to become free agents. Find a way to retain coaches after the end of the school year.

RSS Feed </> Embed