Plexus

Be The First To
Add Photos

Plexus President, CEO, and Director Dean A. Foate

Dean A. Foate

Pros:
  • "Most managers are easy to work with allowing good work / life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Good people to work with as peers"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "I think as the company is growing it is losing alot of its family values"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Upper management is disconnected from mid level management and engineering, accountability has been lost for managers"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overall, a good place to work

Engineer (Current Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Plexus

ProsThere is a lot of variety in the types of product and work that is done, which keeps people from being 'pigeon-holed' into a particular type of position within their field. The management is generally good and responsive. Within the engineering group, most of the managers are degreed engineers also, so it is easier to have technical conversations. The other people who work there make it a very enjoyable place to work.

ConsThe work is not always cutting-edge technology. Also, promotions to higher level positions are based on opportunity based experiences - if you haven't been assigned by management to a project that helps you meet your objectives for a promotion, you will likely not get promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on ensuring that there is good quality work to keep the engineering staff engaged. Otherwise, there is a big risk of losing valuable employees.

No support from management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Plexus

ProsGood compensation and benefits great people within the organization

ConsVery little support from management

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of managing and supporting subordinates.

Over time, Plexus has gone from a great place to work to less.

I have been working at Plexus

ProsPeople, people, people. The individuals you work with make ever day worth while; they give it their all. I am proud to be part of their family.

ConsWhat may be best or at least in the interest of the employee is pretty far down on the importance scale.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the people that have helped Plexus become the company it currently is, not just those that currently lead, but all employees.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work here if you REALLY just need a job.

Lean Sigma Champion - Site (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits
Great Hourly Production Associates
Nice Facilities

ConsPoor Site Leadership
Lack of Respect for Hourly Production Associates
Frequent Number of Un-Paid Days Off With LIttle Notice

Advice to Senior ManagementCare for your people....truly care for them as if they were members of your family.

typical electronics manufacturing environment

Production/Hand Soldering (Former Employee)
Nampa, ID

I worked at Plexus

ProsThey do provide paid training for hand soldering IPC-610 requirements. We had a meeting where management announced record profits for the year, but nobody was getting a pay increase. 'Snicker".

ConsProduction work is subject to what contracts are available, so you can be sent home for weeks at a time, then called back, etc. If a part is out of stock, the line will be shut down, for example. The 12 hour shifts are horrible and monotonous. Grouchy coworkers can be a downer as they often do sloppy work. This is the nature of entry-level work, and it's hard to pay your rent this way. Hewlett-Packard was about the same in the 1990's as well as other companies in the Boise area.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for NOT outsourcing everything like HP and other companies have been doing. Good luck with this cutthroat industry. A small pay increase would help immensely and probably cut down on the number of careless defects I saw.

A place for a job; but not a career

(Technical) (Current Employee)

Prosa paycheck
people in the trenches as well as low level bosses are generally friendly & helpful
no micromanaging (management probably just too lazy; otherwise they probably would)

ConsMy experience with plexus has been very disappointing. The old timers tell about how good it was years ago when plexus was a small local company. Now it is just a standard soulless American corporation where $$$ is almighty and the workers are looked upon as just money sucking nuisances. Workers benefits have slowly eroded over this last recession despite having record sales for many of the quarters. Last week we got the news that they are going to start issuing demerit points for being sick; even if you have sick leave left! The corporation doesn't utilize their talent base as many people are way over qualified for their job responsibilities. Management is reluctant to giving internal promotions or even letting people transfer from the Neenah, WI plants to the Appleton, WI plants because they are overly afraid of filling the holes with someone worse. And woe to the general low level factory worker. Not only have their jobs become scarce do to the abuse of over using temps, but their wages are barely enough to live on at best.

My advice is to skip this company unless you really need a job and to continue to look for a place to have a real career.

Advice to Senior Management1) Stop treating your workers like little children. The policies of the company toward their workers look more like they were written by a vice principal of a high school verses a corporate HR department. We are suppose to all be adults here. If your workers are that immature, why did you hire them in the first place?!
2) Really empower your workers. Don't just pay lip service to this. I have never been involved with such a top down company in my life. Even the focus factory managers seem to be powerless and have their hands tied by upper management! Your workers are the ones that should know their own job the best and how to make it more productive. Not you!

There are many more. But I doubt you will listen to the two above and make any serious changes.

It was very fast paced, expect a lot out of you.

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Plexus

ProsVery good people to work with. The engineers and support staff is second to none. The engineers know a lot and will share with you their experiences.

ConsIt is a sink or swim type of place. You need to able to perform and learn quickly or you won't last after they throw you in the deep end. They have a reputation in the area as a place that goes through a fair amount of people.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and play to their strengths. Make sure that you don't overload your employees and then wonder what happened.

Long on promises, short on delivery.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Plexus

ProsThe middle management team is dedicated, hard-working and passionate about growing the business, supporting the team members, and taking care of the customers.

ConsThe current senior management team has no clue on how to run a business by motivating employees and winning and retaining customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn about your team members, suppliers and customers, and show them how partnerships really work. Spend less time in the ivory tower and more time out on the production floor and with the customers.

Unethical

Legal (Current Employee)

I have been working at Plexus

ProsThe location is great in Neenah. It's close to the highway.

ConsUnethical top mgt. Very bad leadership ability. Uses company for own gain.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe ethical.

Pass Over In-House Personnel to Bring in Own Contacts

Finance Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Plexus

ProsThe on-the-job experience is good for a first time job out of college to gain experience. The location is good because it is close to the highway between Neenah and Oshkosh. We were cramped in the old building but moved into a new building. The new building puts most people in cubes in a small area.

ConsIt is definately an old-boy network there because they do not promote from within. There is as an obvious conflict of interest when the President of the Board is a past owner and CEO. Money is spent without long-term goals, but personal top level mgt gain in mind - ie re-purchase company stock to increase $$ and perks for mgt. It's clear mgt are not strong in business skills and strategy. The board allows this and does not ask questions to hold mgt accountable. Stock values falls and no one asks the questions to keep company going.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs to have top mgt with clear business strategy skills to keep the company from failing or relying on one major contract to keep the bottom line numbers looking good to outsiders. The company should promote within company.

Worked for Plexus? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Plexus reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Plexus CEO Dean A. Foate. All 69 reviews posted anonymously by Plexus employees.