www.plexus.com

Updated December 15, 2014
3.3

Plexus President, CEO, and Director Dean A. Foate
Dean A. Foate

Pros
  • Good working environment, with good project management (in 8 reviews)

• Most managers are easy to work with allowing good work / life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance continues to be a struggle, but Management is finding ways to improve this (in 3 reviews)

• The upper management really had no idea of the workings of the production floor (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent Company to work for.

I have been working at Plexus

Pros

Decent benefits, competitive pay, great management and communication.

Cons

Work can be tiresome and the same from day to day.

Good company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neenah, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neenah, WI

I worked at Plexus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very clean and upkept facility. Staff is all friendly, and everyone is treated like a person. Lots of career advancement, which supported by the company though tuition, training, and development.

Cons

With the fluctuating demands of the industry, there are times where you are putting in a lot of overtime. Communication between sites is not good.

Remember to recognize every employee of the company.

Nice place to work, but...

Current Employee - Equipment Support Coordinator in Nampa, ID
    Current Employee - Equipment Support Coordinator in Nampa, ID

I have been working at Plexus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work-life balance; benefits are good. Employees are trained well. Supervision is visible and approachable.

Cons

Career advancement is iffy, depends on if there's a position open at the time. It seems that the company values certain positions over others. Compensation is below average. My manager doesn't meet with me on a consistent basis - too busy, and I don't know how I'm doing at my job until review time. Even if management says you're doing a great job and you're rated well, the raises are disappointing - less than 3%. If your are unemployed and need a job, this is a fairly good place to be. But if you're looking to advance your career, you might want to go somewhere else.

Spend consistent time with employees; talk more about job and career issues. At least give good raises (> 4%) for doing jobs well.

Best company to work for

I worked at Plexus

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Overworked and not recognized, no room for advancement

Great Place To Be!

I have been working at Plexus

Pros

Great team environment, and support for one another. Teams continue to grow and support one another.

Cons

Work-Life balance continues to be a struggle, but Management is finding ways to improve this. Employees continue to see this.

Its not only about the Customers, we need to remember those who make it happen, "The Employees"

Hard to attract talent in the contract manufacturing business

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at Plexus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Plexus treats its employees well, and for salary employees offers acceptable benefits packages. Plexus is in a pretty stable industry, and the Chicago location is a majority medical contract manufacturing, so there is very low risk of broad layoffs. They are seeing some steady growth.

Cons

Plexus manufacturing in Chicago seems to have a problem with hiring talented and motivated individuals. It seems as though all the talent gets a feel for a couple of years and then leaves, likely due to lack of engagement and career growth opportunities. Perhaps they do not offer very competitive salaries or the location is undesirable. There are many ex-military employees throughout middle management, and the organization is very rigidly structured. It seems like management focuses on the wrong areas to spend money - basic manufacturing and IT systems are very antiquated, making everyone's daily job frustrating, but there is no shortage of "window dressing" to wow potential new customers during tours of the factory.

Many departments (quality, engineering, manufacturing) have engineers that are spread too thin, and not able to give enough focus on getting tasks done correctly in a timely manner. You can tell that everyone is stressed and overworked.

Recent hires in the program management (PM) group seem to be in over their heads, and not able to effectively lead the Plexus team (quality, materials, test, manufacturing), or manage the relationship or expectations with the customer team. OILs quickly become stale, meetings become a complete waste of time. PMs have been referred to as "glorified event planners asked to manage electronics manufacturing" - they have little to no technical knowledge - they are unable to lead teams of technical manufacturing engineers.

Attract and retain more young, motivated, ambitious employees, particularly in the areas of manufacturing and test engineering, and program management.

Invest in refinement of manufacturing and IT systems that employees struggle to use every day instead of more window dressing that attracts more business that we are not equipped to effectively support.

Manufacturing and Industrial Engineer in Electronic Assembly environment

Former Employee - Industrial Engineer
    Former Employee - Industrial Engineer

I worked at Plexus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay was great for someone at my level. I continually got raises, and was able to negotiate a raise for a lateral move.

Cons

The environment can be difficult for a woman; working on a manufacturing floor requires conservative dress, otherwise men think they can harass you!

Work on ensuring that employees have work life balance; there are some accounts that are very important for the company and at particular work sites, but everyone needs a break once in a while.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Plexus full-time

Pros

Real Life-work balance. Great work environment. Good processes and procedures.

Cons

Punctuality of time management from most personnel is weak, even for the managers.
    The management team is not always look for personnel development.

Use and trash you

Former Employee - Hmm There IS So Many in Neenah, WI
    Former Employee - Hmm There IS So Many in Neenah, WI

I worked at Plexus full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Other than its easy to get into, and its a great place to surf the web or do scratch offs, pay bills, you get the point

Cons

They forget about the people that got them this far. They weed out the experienced to save money to pay temp pay. Takes forever to get hired on.

There isnt any, as I see them folden in a few years, at least the US operations. Then the management can start new lives. Like we have to at 50+

Stable company with a lot of growth opportunity, but at the cost of your time.

I worked at Plexus

Pros

Growth opportunity.
    Plenty of stretch assignments.
    Reward hard work.

Cons

Costs a lot of your personal time.
    Poor capacity planning.

Invest more time and effort into correcting capacity planning to balance work load across talent.

Plexus Photos