Plexus

Be The First To
Add Photos

Plexus President, CEO, and Director Dean A. Foate

Dean A. Foate

Pros
  • Most managers are easy to work with allowing good work / life balance(in 4 reviews)

• Good people to work with as peers(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management/ engineers is only worried about their self image other than actually doing work that benefits the company(in 4 reviews)

• I think as the company is growing it is losing alot of its family values(in 3 reviews)

Dead-end job with no opportunity for advancement.

Production Associate (Former Employee) Neenah, WI

ProsDecent benefits, training is ok. Job security if the company can keep their customers happy which doesn't happen very often.

ConsI worked there for 5 years, tried advancing zero success, told that I did not have enough experience after working there for three years. The company's values have gone in the toilet. They built a new building but everything is the same. Don't plan to do anything on the weekends because you will be working on Saturdays and may ask you to come in on Sundays. If you don't value your life then this job is for you. upper management/ engineers is only worried about their self image other than actually doing work that benefits the company. there are employees that work on the floor who could do a better job than 98% of the engineers. Also, they for the life of them, cannot meet their customers demands. I found it comical because they overwork their employees to meet these deadlines but tired employees do not work as well but they don't care cause management doesn't need to show up for overtime. too many new employees, a lot of mistakes happen due to the lack of training there are plenty of other cons but I think this will cover it. Your better off going to school and getting a degree than working there. your life will be so much more enjoyable best decision I ever made.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your job. Actually earn the money you make. Care about the people you have cause they will not last for long at the rate you guys are going. Many people are in the process of leaving so it may be too late.

Constant OT,Poorly managed, Incompetent direction, No feedback system, No real advancement APPLY INSIDE

Production Lead (Former Employee) Neenah, WI

Pros+Career length employment once you get in the door. Worked their for 8 years in 3 different buildings, 4 different departments. First 6 years were good. Last 2 realizing I should have moved on sooner.
    +They never seem to run out of work unless its the beginning of each quarter. Its bright, like supernova bright, if you have trouble seeing in low light this is the place for you.
    +Place employs so many people you get a good cross section of the Fox Valley.

Cons-Zero real planning means OT balls to the wall 6-days a week or 10 hour days or BOTH MANDATORY! Be here or ur fired. NO JOKE. This can go on for up to a year or more all depends what area you end up in.
    -In 8 years worked 3 mandated stretches of 6 months or more in a row without a weekend off except for holiday and my meager vacation benefit.
    -Management downsizes employees with years of service every other year, depriving company of its culture and know how.
    -Quality culture replaced by numbers culture
    -When I first started Feedback was taken good or bad. As time went on the policy of openness means feedback marks you for "counseling" or "reassignment".
    -Managers are brought in off the street with no technical know-how and usually leadership abilities. Those that have "real skills or are the real deal" find themselves on the fences and move on rather quick. Usually in under a year.
    -Advancement without a degree is possible. There you are not well supported and you are held accountable for "hourly priority shifts or HOT lists" on products with lead times of several weeks (really months with the way things are so poorly managed)
    -Turnover is comparable to fast food which is clearly not good in sophisticated manufacturing.
    -Poor quality results from turnover + lack of feedback handling.
    -Hitting "numbers" and ensuring on time delivery is the only thing that is checked daily at the end of shift. Quality constantly suffers and it shows.
    -Fail rates in some inspection processes are worse then they have ever been, to the tune of more often than not, product fails basic inspections. Guess its human aspect of the working conditions, new building is not the problem.
    -Leaders are too focused on what their supervisor wants rather than what their team needs to work effectively.
    -Providing constructive criticism is met with "not a priority today" rather than lets fix that right now.
    -Support staff is not held accountable. Example... making sure working conditions are safe and productive.
    -Only way to get hired by Plexus as an associate, technical assistant, or production lead is to do a lengthy "Contract employee stint" Wont be less than 6 months, 12-18 months is typical, 22 months is the record. If you get hired on.
    -Company constantly recruits and hires, over hires sometimes, and then is forced to fire in bulk at the end of a quarter.
    -Employees are not appreciated except at the big meetings after we get "frequently challenged to not have to work the holidays that we are supposed to get as part of the big benefits package" because we are so appreciated.
    -Company has revised its own company wide internal goals downward since last state of company meeting because it could not meet its own goals.
    -Employee benefits have been cut
    -Employees who take health insurance must now do health assessments, this data is supposedly confidential, if you do not participate or meet the goals for health improvement, you pay more for your insurance benefit. (A lot more)
    -Leadership is more interesting in looking good than is good.
    -Morale is poor.
    -Assigned seats is a new thing that is contributing to lower morale and the ridiculousness of working in an already broken factory.

If this sounds like the place for you. Go ahead and contact Kelly services they have a job for you unless you use drugs. Well you can use them and work there just pass one time drug screen.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have lots of pretenders in your ranks.

On time delivery while important is not the only reason customers buy your services.

Your employees know what is going on and when you BS them at the quarterly meetings they also know that too.

At least one weekend off a month for everybody should be an expectation the company can execute for every staff member as it is both good for the company as well as the employee and in turn the customer.

Being months behind on production is NOT your employees fault or your customers fault. It is leaderships fault for failing to create the conditions for success. Leadership have all the means to create those conditions, but leadership typically does not take the responsibility to ensure that those conditions are created proactively and instilled, welcomed and aggressively promoted within the culture of the workforce.

Middle level managers need to be audited. The company needs a real level by level external auditing and consulting work up to identify where the real opportunities for improvement exist and what the real problems are.

The ability to build quality profitably and on time to the customers request is the bread and butter of Plexus and the actions of the company's leadership in Neenah is causing that to slip away.

Assembler?

Contractor (Former Employee) Buffalo Grove, IL

ProsJust a job, need to have employment.

ConsMany do not speak english well or at all. Salaries are much lower than expected. No stable work loads that would provide a long term employment. Not supervised by a person who cares about their employees. Constant back stabbing attempts and low brow tactics to yell and use profanity against us.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to fire your supervisors too.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used To Be a Great Place To Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Neenah, WI

Pros-Most of the co-workers were friendly and helpful
    -It was close to my home.
    -I had the opportunity, under the right circumstances, to learn a lot about electronics and the assembly process.
    -The first five years I worked there was great. It was like one big happy family. Upper management actually cared. Then it went downhill.

Cons-When I started working there, they promoted more from within. When I left, they'd hire someone off the street with no experience in electronics over a person with 20 years of work experience because the in-house person didn't go to college.
    -They pay lip service to work/life balance.
    -Management doesn't care about quality of the product they put out until the customer is unhappy.
    -People in management with no experience in electronic assembly make promises to customers that can't be met and they are too arrogant to ask the production floor for their input.
    -Don't value the experience or input of their long-time employees, many who have worked building boards when some of the current management was still in kindergarten.
    -Having to take unpaid days and then work mandatory overtime in the same quarter despite the fact that our department was still behind. We had to do this because another building was slow.
    -Not using the down time to get caught up and/or to work on the quality issues.
    -Management is very reactive and not proactive.
    -They hire temps for when it's busy, but they do not give them the proper training. Then when it slows down, they let them go. The cycle starts all over again when it gets busy. Then when they have a shortage of people who can solder, they bring in people from Buffalo Grove & pay for their hotel and all that instead of taking the time to train people here properly and train them to solder.
    -The last department I worked in was micromanaged to death, which just made things worse. You were treated like a five year old instead of an adult.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the people who work on the production floor and take the time to listen to them, especially the people who have been around longer than 10 years. They are the ones who work on the product and know the processes. They are the ones who work in the trenches. Your business and your customer satisfaction depends on them. When people feel like management doesn't care, then they stop caring and then the quality and productivity go downhill. Ask for their input on production issues. Stop being reactive and start being more proactive; if someone slits your jugular vein, you won't stop the bleeding by putting band-aids on the wound. Promote more from within. There is a very deep and rich well of experience that is untapped because a degree is valued more than experience and knowledge. Stop paying lip service to work/life balance. You will not attract and retain good workers if people don't feel valued. When I started working here, I felt I was valued and my input was also valued. When I left, I felt like just another cog in the machine.

Yes people only survive

Director (Current Employee) Neenah, WI

ProsGreat leaders in the past that really grew the company to be a true leader in their industry. They had a great model and really capitalized on creative thinkers.

ConsEngineering in charge of sales and it is their way or the highway. They are only hiring yes people and do not encourage creative thinking.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe people who really make a difference are often those who don’t quite fit in. The ones who don’t act in the same way as everyone else and take risks rather than following the status quo. So it is important to get the right mixture, and to delegate tasks to people with the correct skills sets.

One of the worst experience in my career

Program Manager (Former Employee) Bayan Lepas (Malaysia)

ProsGood customer base with significant market share in medical segment..

ConsPolitics, blaming games, bad culture from top down, never listen to employees...

Advice to Senior Managementtalk to employees more often...

The only job I've had that has taken me away from my family

Production Associate (Current Employee) Nampa, ID

ProsDecent benefits, somewhat happy with what I do. Opportunities to move up if you're willing to go the extra mile.

ConsA work week consists of 50+ hours. Management is very arrogant. Only a number not an individual unless you are part of their continuous improvement team. Only care about a warm body filling up space. Don't care about family values at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet of your butt and see what really goes on in the production floor. it's not all about money.

OK, if you get in good with the right managers

Engineer (Former Employee) Buffalo Grove, IL

ProsSmaller company, more small social activities.
    Coffee in breakroom.
    Nice outdoor picnic area.

ConsVery political. You have to play the schmoozing game.
    If you can spin a story, you can excel.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart seeing what is really going on, not just what some employees are spinning to you.

Hard working employees are not respected and underpaid

QA, Preship (Former Employee) Neenah, WI

ProsPlexus will hire just about anyone for the production floor. If you really need a job and overtime. It is a good place for someone to start out of high school.

ConsOften the production staff would come into work very negative because it didn't seem to matter how hard we worked. It was never enough in quantity or quality. The upper management really had no idea of the workings of the production floor.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease hire supervisors who are "people" persons. The work environment would be so much less negative if there were more supervisors who would treat the production staff as if their input mattered.

Big marketing company but Pool Management from top to the bottom

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsCan not find any good thing about this company. Sorry

ConsAs the title mentioned, Spent a lot money on the marketing and package the company. But, very pool management from the HQ to site, from CEO to site production supervisor. Particularly the San Jose (Fremont) site. There are large turn over rate, specially on the project / program management role. There are 9 PMs left in the past 2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice to the management, they should know better than me as management.

Worked for Plexus? Contribute to the Community!