Plexus

Be The First To
Add Photos

Plexus President, CEO, and Director Dean A. Foate

Dean A. Foate

Pros:
  • "Most managers are easy to work with allowing good work / life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Good people to work with as peers"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "I think as the company is growing it is losing alot of its family values"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Upper management is disconnected from mid level management and engineering, accountability has been lost for managers"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Dead-end job with no opportunity for advancement.

Production Associate (Former Employee)
    Neenah, WI

ProsDecent benefits, training is ok. Job security if the company can keep their customers happy which doesn't happen very often.

ConsI worked there for 5 years, tried advancing zero success, told that I did not have enough experience after working there for three years. The company's values have gone in the toilet. They built a new building but everything is the same. Don't plan to do anything on the weekends because you will be working on Saturdays and may ask you to come in on Sundays. If you don't value your life then this job is for you. upper management/ engineers is only worried about their self image other than actually doing work that benefits the company. there are employees that work on the floor who could do a better job than 98% of the engineers. Also, they for the life of them, cannot meet their customers demands. I found it comical because they overwork their employees to meet these deadlines but tired employees do not work as well but they don't care cause management doesn't need to show up for overtime. too many new employees, a lot of mistakes happen due to the lack of training there are plenty of other cons but I think this will cover it. Your better off going to school and getting a degree than working there. your life will be so much more enjoyable best decision I ever made.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your job. Actually earn the money you make. Care about the people you have cause they will not last for long at the rate you guys are going. Many people are in the process of leaving so it may be too late.

Constant OT,Poorly managed, Incompetent direction, No feedback system, No real advancement APPLY INSIDE

Production Lead (Former Employee)
    Neenah, WI

Pros+Career length employment once you get in the door. Worked their for 8 years in 3 different buildings, 4 different departments. First 6 years were good. Last 2 realizing I should have moved on sooner.
    +They never seem to run out of work unless its the beginning of each quarter. Its bright, like supernova bright, if you have trouble seeing in low light this is the place for you.
    +Place employs so many people you get a good cross section of the Fox Valley.

Cons-Zero real planning means OT balls to the wall 6-days a week or 10 hour days or BOTH MANDATORY! Be here or ur fired. NO JOKE. This can go on for up to a year or more all depends what area you end up in.
    -In 8 years worked 3 mandated stretches of 6 months or more in a row without a weekend off except for holiday and my meager vacation benefit.
    -Management downsizes employees with years of service every other year, depriving company of its culture and know how.
    -Quality culture replaced by numbers culture
    -When I first started Feedback was taken good or bad. As time went on the policy of openness means feedback marks you for "counseling" or "reassignment".
    -Managers are brought in off the street with no technical know-how and usually leadership abilities. Those that have "real skills or are the real deal" find themselves on the fences and move on rather quick. Usually in under a year.
    -Advancement without a degree is possible. There you are not well supported and you are held accountable for "hourly priority shifts or HOT lists" on products with lead times of several weeks (really months with the way things are so poorly managed)
    -Turnover is comparable to fast food which is clearly not good in sophisticated manufacturing.
    -Poor quality results from turnover + lack of feedback handling.
    -Hitting "numbers" and ensuring on time delivery is the only thing that is checked daily at the end of shift. Quality constantly suffers and it shows.
    -Fail rates in some inspection processes are worse then they have ever been, to the tune of more often than not, product fails basic inspections. Guess its human aspect of the working conditions, new building is not the problem.
    -Leaders are too focused on what their supervisor wants rather than what their team needs to work effectively.
    -Providing constructive criticism is met with "not a priority today" rather than lets fix that right now.
    -Support staff is not held accountable. Example... making sure working conditions are safe and productive.
    -Only way to get hired by Plexus as an associate, technical assistant, or production lead is to do a lengthy "Contract employee stint" Wont be less than 6 months, 12-18 months is typical, 22 months is the record. If you get hired on.
    -Company constantly recruits and hires, over hires sometimes, and then is forced to fire in bulk at the end of a quarter.
    -Employees are not appreciated except at the big meetings after we get "frequently challenged to not have to work the holidays that we are supposed to get as part of the big benefits package" because we are so appreciated.
    -Company has revised its own company wide internal goals downward since last state of company meeting because it could not meet its own goals.
    -Employee benefits have been cut
    -Employees who take health insurance must now do health assessments, this data is supposedly confidential, if you do not participate or meet the goals for health improvement, you pay more for your insurance benefit. (A lot more)
    -Leadership is more interesting in looking good than is good.
    -Morale is poor.
    -Assigned seats is a new thing that is contributing to lower morale and the ridiculousness of working in an already broken factory.

If this sounds like the place for you. Go ahead and contact Kelly services they have a job for you unless you use drugs. Well you can use them and work there just pass one time drug screen.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have lots of pretenders in your ranks.

On time delivery while important is not the only reason customers buy your services.

Your employees know what is going on and when you BS them at the quarterly meetings they also know that too.

At least one weekend off a month for everybody should be an expectation the company can execute for every staff member as it is both good for the company as well as the employee and in turn the customer.

Being months behind on production is NOT your employees fault or your customers fault. It is leaderships fault for failing to create the conditions for success. Leadership have all the means to create those conditions, but leadership typically does not take the responsibility to ensure that those conditions are created proactively and instilled, welcomed and aggressively promoted within the culture of the workforce.

Middle level managers need to be audited. The company needs a real level by level external auditing and consulting work up to identify where the real opportunities for improvement exist and what the real problems are.

The ability to build quality profitably and on time to the customers request is the bread and butter of Plexus and the actions of the company's leadership in Neenah is causing that to slip away.

Financial Analyst

Finance Analyst (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsA great learning experience with a competitive salary.

ConsNot a lot of room for growth at the smaller sites.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Quality Engineer II

Quality Engineer II (Current Employee)
    Boise, ID

ProsDecent culture with good people

ConsNot very aggressive pay system

Overall, a good company to work for.

Neenah, WI

ProsA good stable company to work for. There is room for advancement

ConsThere are a lot of politics to deal with. Not good work/life balance. Most managers are quite good, but there are a few that are terrible.

Good company culture

ProsWork life balance is good. Matrix heavy organization but you have latitude to do your thing. Strong focus on quality and customer service.

ConsInsurance is not the best and upward mobility difficult outside of headquarters.

23+ years (Supervisor, former)

ProsIt was a good place to work and grow in the 1990's

ConsThe company stopped caring about family values. They stopped promoting from within and started treating the older workers like disposable assets. They lost so many good people due to weeding out older workers in a process they called workforce adjustment in 2008 - 2011 time period. They work the ,anufacturing teams to death with no incentives left.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of building managers that don't care what they do to make themselves look good. Learn to use your greatest assets. Your older workers.

First 6 years were good, the last year was awful

Neenah, WI

ProsFast paced environment, leading edge technology, global travel opportunities. Customers are top players in their industries. Facilities are new, headquarters office is like a palace.

ConsFeast or famine, there's either too much business or not enough. Extreme business cycles. Engineers are highly favored, non-engineers are second class citizens. Lots of hiring, then purges.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a well rounded management team with a variety of backgrounds and experiences, instead of only promoting the folks with design engineering backgrounds.

Assembler?

Contractor (Former Employee)
    Buffalo Grove, IL

ProsJust a job, need to have employment.

ConsMany do not speak english well or at all. Salaries are much lower than expected. No stable work loads that would provide a long term employment. Not supervised by a person who cares about their employees. Constant back stabbing attempts and low brow tactics to yell and use profanity against us.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to fire your supervisors too.

I worked a challenging technical position on a large prototype DNA handling device.

Mechanical Engineering\lab Techniician (Former Employee)
    Broomfield, CO

ProsPay was good and the Project manager I worked for was awesome.

ConsThere was quite a bit of traveling.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould have hired me.

Worked for Plexus? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Plexus reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Plexus CEO Dean A. Foate. All 72 reviews posted anonymously by Plexus employees.