www.plexus.com

Updated January 19, 2015
3.2

Plexus President, CEO, and Director Dean A. Foate
Dean A. Foate

Pros
  • Good working environment, with good project management (in 8 reviews)

• Most managers are easy to work with allowing good work / life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance continues to be a struggle, but Management is finding ways to improve this (in 3 reviews)

• The upper management really had no idea of the workings of the production floor (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Constant OT,Poorly managed, Incompetent direction, No feedback system, No real advancement APPLY INSIDE

Former Employee - Production Lead in Neenah, WI
    Former Employee - Production Lead in Neenah, WI

I worked at Plexus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

+Career length employment once you get in the door. Worked their for 8 years in 3 different buildings, 4 different departments. First 6 years were good. Last 2 realizing I should have moved on sooner.
    +They never seem to run out of work unless its the beginning of each quarter. Its bright, like supernova bright, if you have trouble seeing in low light this is the place for you.
    +Place employs so many people you get a good cross section of the Fox Valley.

Cons

-Zero real planning means OT balls to the wall 6-days a week or 10 hour days or BOTH MANDATORY! Be here or ur fired. NO JOKE. This can go on for up to a year or more all depends what area you end up in.
    -In 8 years worked 3 mandated stretches of 6 months or more in a row without a weekend off except for holiday and my meager vacation benefit.
    -Management downsizes employees with years of service every other year, depriving company of its culture and know how.
    -Quality culture replaced by numbers culture
    -When I first started Feedback was taken good or bad. As time went on the policy of openness means feedback marks you for "counseling" or "reassignment".
    -Managers are brought in off the street with no technical know-how and usually leadership abilities. Those that have "real skills or are the real deal" find themselves on the fences and move on rather quick. Usually in under a year.
    -Advancement without a degree is possible. There you are not well supported and you are held accountable for "hourly priority shifts or HOT lists" on products with lead times of several weeks (really months with the way things are so poorly managed)
    -Turnover is comparable to fast food which is clearly not good in sophisticated manufacturing.
    -Poor quality results from turnover + lack of feedback handling.
    -Hitting "numbers" and ensuring on time delivery is the only thing that is checked daily at the end of shift. Quality constantly suffers and it shows.
    -Fail rates in some inspection processes are worse then they have ever been, to the tune of more often than not, product fails basic inspections. Guess its human aspect of the working conditions, new building is not the problem.
    -Leaders are too focused on what their supervisor wants rather than what their team needs to work effectively.
    -Providing constructive criticism is met with "not a priority today" rather than lets fix that right now.
    -Support staff is not held accountable. Example... making sure working conditions are safe and productive.
    -Only way to get hired by Plexus as an associate, technical assistant, or production lead is to do a lengthy "Contract employee stint" Wont be less than 6 months, 12-18 months is typical, 22 months is the record. If you get hired on.
    -Company constantly recruits and hires, over hires sometimes, and then is forced to fire in bulk at the end of a quarter.
    -Employees are not appreciated except at the big meetings after we get "frequently challenged to not have to work the holidays that we are supposed to get as part of the big benefits package" because we are so appreciated.
    -Company has revised its own company wide internal goals downward since last state of company meeting because it could not meet its own goals.
    -Employee benefits have been cut
    -Employees who take health insurance must now do health assessments, this data is supposedly confidential, if you do not participate or meet the goals for health improvement, you pay more for your insurance benefit. (A lot more)
    -Leadership is more interesting in looking good than is good.
    -Morale is poor.
    -Assigned seats is a new thing that is contributing to lower morale and the ridiculousness of working in an already broken factory.

If this sounds like the place for you. Go ahead and contact Kelly services they have a job for you unless you use drugs. Well you can use them and work there just pass one time drug screen.

You have lots of pretenders in your ranks.

On time delivery while important is not the only reason customers buy your services.

Your employees know what is going on and when you BS them at the quarterly meetings they also know that too.

At least one weekend off a month for everybody should be an expectation the company can execute for every staff member as it is both good for the company as well as the employee and in turn the customer.

Being months behind on production is NOT your employees fault or your customers fault. It is leaderships fault for failing to create the conditions for success. Leadership have all the means to create those conditions, but leadership typically does not take the responsibility to ensure that those conditions are created proactively and instilled, welcomed and aggressively promoted within the culture of the workforce.

Middle level managers need to be audited. The company needs a real level by level external auditing and consulting work up to identify where the real opportunities for improvement exist and what the real problems are.

The ability to build quality profitably and on time to the customers request is the bread and butter of Plexus and the actions of the company's leadership in Neenah is causing that to slip away.

23+ years (Supervisor, former)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neenah, WI

I worked at Plexus full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It was a good place to work and grow in the 1990's

Cons

The company stopped caring about family values. They stopped promoting from within and started treating the older workers like disposable assets. They lost so many good people due to weeding out older workers in a process they called workforce adjustment in 2008 - 2011 time period. They work the ,anufacturing teams to death with no incentives left.

Get rid of building managers that don't care what they do to make themselves look good. Learn to use your greatest assets. Your older workers.

First 6 years were good, the last year was awful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neenah, WI

I worked at Plexus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment, leading edge technology, global travel opportunities. Customers are top players in their industries. Facilities are new, headquarters office is like a palace.

Cons

Feast or famine, there's either too much business or not enough. Extreme business cycles. Engineers are highly favored, non-engineers are second class citizens. Lots of hiring, then purges.

Develop a well rounded management team with a variety of backgrounds and experiences, instead of only promoting the folks with design engineering backgrounds.

I worked a challenging technical position on a large prototype DNA handling device.

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering\lab Techniician in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering\lab Techniician in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Plexus as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Pay was good and the Project manager I worked for was awesome.

Cons

There was quite a bit of traveling.

Should have hired me.

Assembler?

Former Employee - Contractor in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Contractor in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at Plexus as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Just a job, need to have employment.

Cons

Many do not speak english well or at all. Salaries are much lower than expected. No stable work loads that would provide a long term employment. Not supervised by a person who cares about their employees. Constant back stabbing attempts and low brow tactics to yell and use profanity against us.

You need to fire your supervisors too.

Great

I worked at Plexus (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to work as far as I know.

Cons

None that I can think of.

none

Used To Be a Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neenah, WI

I worked at Plexus full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-Most of the co-workers were friendly and helpful
    -It was close to my home.
    -I had the opportunity, under the right circumstances, to learn a lot about electronics and the assembly process.
    -The first five years I worked there was great. It was like one big happy family. Upper management actually cared. Then it went downhill.

Cons

-When I started working there, they promoted more from within. When I left, they'd hire someone off the street with no experience in electronics over a person with 20 years of work experience because the in-house person didn't go to college.
    -They pay lip service to work/life balance.
    -Management doesn't care about quality of the product they put out until the customer is unhappy.
    -People in management with no experience in electronic assembly make promises to customers that can't be met and they are too arrogant to ask the production floor for their input.
    -Don't value the experience or input of their long-time employees, many who have worked building boards when some of the current management was still in kindergarten.
    -Having to take unpaid days and then work mandatory overtime in the same quarter despite the fact that our department was still behind. We had to do this because another building was slow.
    -Not using the down time to get caught up and/or to work on the quality issues.
    -Management is very reactive and not proactive.
    -They hire temps for when it's busy, but they do not give them the proper training. Then when it slows down, they let them go. The cycle starts all over again when it gets busy. Then when they have a shortage of people who can solder, they bring in people from Buffalo Grove & pay for their hotel and all that instead of taking the time to train people here properly and train them to solder.
    -The last department I worked in was micromanaged to death, which just made things worse. You were treated like a five year old instead of an adult.

Value the people who work on the production floor and take the time to listen to them, especially the people who have been around longer than 10 years. They are the ones who work on the product and know the processes. They are the ones who work in the trenches. Your business and your customer satisfaction depends on them. When people feel like management doesn't care, then they stop caring and then the quality and productivity go downhill. Ask for their input on production issues. Stop being reactive and start being more proactive; if someone slits your jugular vein, you won't stop the bleeding by putting band-aids on the wound. Promote more from within. There is a very deep and rich well of experience that is untapped because a degree is valued more than experience and knowledge. Stop paying lip service to work/life balance. You will not attract and retain good workers if people don't feel valued. When I started working here, I felt I was valued and my input was also valued. When I left, I felt like just another cog in the machine.

A good mix of professional challenges.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neenah, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neenah, WI

I have been working at Plexus full-time

Pros

A strong culture of continuous improvement and, once a driver for change is accepted, a solid commitment to implement.

Cons

It can be a challenging industry to work in, with production so closely tied to specific customer demand. This can lead to cycles of, at times, aggressive changes in the organization.

Quite a number of initiatives seem to remain open for lengthy time periods. Perhaps greater emphasis full implementation in shorter time periods would benefit the company.

Yes people only survive

Current Employee - Director in Neenah, WI
    Current Employee - Director in Neenah, WI

I have been working at Plexus full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great leaders in the past that really grew the company to be a true leader in their industry. They had a great model and really capitalized on creative thinkers.

Cons

Engineering in charge of sales and it is their way or the highway. They are only hiring yes people and do not encourage creative thinking.

The people who really make a difference are often those who don’t quite fit in. The ones who don’t act in the same way as everyone else and take risks rather than following the status quo. So it is important to get the right mixture, and to delegate tasks to people with the correct skills sets.

Very poor training! Too many "out of state" temps working there.

I have been working at Plexus as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Casual atmosphere, overtime if you want it, production leads that are nice, clean work areas, and A/C. If you want to learn a new skill you can if they need help in that area.

Cons

Temp workers from Illinois that get paid, plus live in a hotel and get all their meals paid for. Why aren't we getting people from Wisconsin to fill these jobs? Maybe they could increase our wages if we weren't supporting these out of state workers. Lord knows we have more than enough Wisconsin people looking for work.

Come out of your "Ivory tower" offices and spend some time on the floor with the workers for a week. See what we actually do, who the good workers are and who sit around playing on their cell phones, shooting rubber bands, ignoring the new people that need help learning their job etc. Hire the good temps and give them a decent increase in wages, the amount of skill involved to work here is amazing and yet you pay minimal wages for this!

Plexus Photos