www.plexus.com

Updated December 18, 2014
3.3

Plexus President, CEO, and Director Dean A. Foate
Dean A. Foate

Pros
  • Good working environment, with good project management (in 8 reviews)

• Most managers are easy to work with allowing good work / life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance continues to be a struggle, but Management is finding ways to improve this (in 3 reviews)

• The upper management really had no idea of the workings of the production floor (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Assembler?

Former Employee - Contractor in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Contractor in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at Plexus as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Just a job, need to have employment.

Cons

Many do not speak english well or at all. Salaries are much lower than expected. No stable work loads that would provide a long term employment. Not supervised by a person who cares about their employees. Constant back stabbing attempts and low brow tactics to yell and use profanity against us.

You need to fire your supervisors too.

Great

I worked at Plexus (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work as far as I know.

Cons

None that I can think of.

none

Used To Be a Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neenah, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neenah, WI

I worked at Plexus full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-Most of the co-workers were friendly and helpful
    -It was close to my home.
    -I had the opportunity, under the right circumstances, to learn a lot about electronics and the assembly process.
    -The first five years I worked there was great. It was like one big happy family. Upper management actually cared. Then it went downhill.

Cons

-When I started working there, they promoted more from within. When I left, they'd hire someone off the street with no experience in electronics over a person with 20 years of work experience because the in-house person didn't go to college.
    -They pay lip service to work/life balance.
    -Management doesn't care about quality of the product they put out until the customer is unhappy.
    -People in management with no experience in electronic assembly make promises to customers that can't be met and they are too arrogant to ask the production floor for their input.
    -Don't value the experience or input of their long-time employees, many who have worked building boards when some of the current management was still in kindergarten.
    -Having to take unpaid days and then work mandatory overtime in the same quarter despite the fact that our department was still behind. We had to do this because another building was slow.
    -Not using the down time to get caught up and/or to work on the quality issues.
    -Management is very reactive and not proactive.
    -They hire temps for when it's busy, but they do not give them the proper training. Then when it slows down, they let them go. The cycle starts all over again when it gets busy. Then when they have a shortage of people who can solder, they bring in people from Buffalo Grove & pay for their hotel and all that instead of taking the time to train people here properly and train them to solder.
    -The last department I worked in was micromanaged to death, which just made things worse. You were treated like a five year old instead of an adult.

Value the people who work on the production floor and take the time to listen to them, especially the people who have been around longer than 10 years. They are the ones who work on the product and know the processes. They are the ones who work in the trenches. Your business and your customer satisfaction depends on them. When people feel like management doesn't care, then they stop caring and then the quality and productivity go downhill. Ask for their input on production issues. Stop being reactive and start being more proactive; if someone slits your jugular vein, you won't stop the bleeding by putting band-aids on the wound. Promote more from within. There is a very deep and rich well of experience that is untapped because a degree is valued more than experience and knowledge. Stop paying lip service to work/life balance. You will not attract and retain good workers if people don't feel valued. When I started working here, I felt I was valued and my input was also valued. When I left, I felt like just another cog in the machine.

A good mix of professional challenges.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neenah, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neenah, WI

I have been working at Plexus full-time

Pros

A strong culture of continuous improvement and, once a driver for change is accepted, a solid commitment to implement.

Cons

It can be a challenging industry to work in, with production so closely tied to specific customer demand. This can lead to cycles of, at times, aggressive changes in the organization.

Quite a number of initiatives seem to remain open for lengthy time periods. Perhaps greater emphasis full implementation in shorter time periods would benefit the company.

Yes people only survive

Current Employee - Director in Neenah, WI
    Current Employee - Director in Neenah, WI

I have been working at Plexus full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great leaders in the past that really grew the company to be a true leader in their industry. They had a great model and really capitalized on creative thinkers.

Cons

Engineering in charge of sales and it is their way or the highway. They are only hiring yes people and do not encourage creative thinking.

The people who really make a difference are often those who don’t quite fit in. The ones who don’t act in the same way as everyone else and take risks rather than following the status quo. So it is important to get the right mixture, and to delegate tasks to people with the correct skills sets.

Very poor training! Too many "out of state" temps working there.

I have been working at Plexus as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Casual atmosphere, overtime if you want it, production leads that are nice, clean work areas, and A/C. If you want to learn a new skill you can if they need help in that area.

Cons

Temp workers from Illinois that get paid, plus live in a hotel and get all their meals paid for. Why aren't we getting people from Wisconsin to fill these jobs? Maybe they could increase our wages if we weren't supporting these out of state workers. Lord knows we have more than enough Wisconsin people looking for work.

Come out of your "Ivory tower" offices and spend some time on the floor with the workers for a week. See what we actually do, who the good workers are and who sit around playing on their cell phones, shooting rubber bands, ignoring the new people that need help learning their job etc. Hire the good temps and give them a decent increase in wages, the amount of skill involved to work here is amazing and yet you pay minimal wages for this!

Good till you get past middle management

Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Boise, ID

I have been working at Plexus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people to work with as peers. Some management is good others liars and crap people.

Cons

Depending on what site you are at in some you are expected to eat,breath and live Plexus. Others are normal. Leadpeople are unempowered supervisors who have to deal with 50% idiotiotic hourly staff who cant put their pants on with work instructions.

Live what you say, instead of being two faced liars.

Great Company

I worked at Plexus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful culture of accountability. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Plexus. Upper management provides individuals with autonomy to run their organizations with minimal oversight provided. I appreciated the direct communication and standards the executives held the staff to in all interactions.

Cons

Limited opportunities. The company is relatively small and there are only so many slots as you move up the pyramid. Plexus works to keep their good folks engaged but, there is only so much they can do at their size.

Organic growth was the champion of the past it might be time to look at acquisitions for new revenue channels and to spur further growth. I would not acquire to grow revenue but to grow service offerings which will in toe grow revenue.

The only job I've had that has taken me away from my family

Current Employee - Production Associate in Nampa, ID
    Current Employee - Production Associate in Nampa, ID

I have been working at Plexus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, somewhat happy with what I do. Opportunities to move up if you're willing to go the extra mile.

Cons

A work week consists of 50+ hours. Management is very arrogant. Only a number not an individual unless you are part of their continuous improvement team. Only care about a warm body filling up space. Don't care about family values at all.

Get of your butt and see what really goes on in the production floor. it's not all about money.

OK, if you get in good with the right managers

Former Employee - Engineer in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Engineer in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at Plexus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smaller company, more small social activities.
    Coffee in breakroom.
    Nice outdoor picnic area.

Cons

Very political. You have to play the schmoozing game.
    If you can spin a story, you can excel.

Start seeing what is really going on, not just what some employees are spinning to you.

Plexus Photos