Plow & Hearth

John Haydock

Help Desk Support

Former Employee - Help Desk Support in Madison, VA
    Former Employee - Help Desk Support in Madison, VA

I worked at Plow & Hearth full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers! Had a lot of fun and with them, both in my department and in others. Learned a lot from my coworkers.

Cons

Laid off. Miss my coworkers and my job.

Treat the employees better, give them reasons and incentive to excel.

Positive Plow & Hearth Experience

Former Employee - Seasonal Contact Agent in Madison, VA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Contact Agent in Madison, VA

I worked at Plow & Hearth full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I had hoped to be hired in the Plow and Hearth (P&H) retail store for work over the holidays; however, since there were no openings there, I was offered a position as a Seasonal Contact Agent, which I accepted. Soon I realized that this was not a good fit for me and that someone else better suited to the position could still be hired and trained to occupy my position, so I resigned in my third day of training.

I was humbled by the training experience. I am totally in awe of all the brave souls who work as Seasonal Contact Agents. By this I mean all those who receive the intensive training, baptism by fire, and will only be working for P&H for two months. Incredible!

During my brief time at P&H I discovered a great company! All the staff was supportive and the training was OVER THE TOP! Even personnel that I randomly came into contact with were supportive of those in training and all were very pleased to be with the company, many having worked for P&H for years.

Since my brief experience, my goal to simply work at the retail store has changed. I now peruse ALL P&H openings to see where I can fit. Again, this is a great company!

Cons

I have absolutely NOTHING but positive thoughts about my experience with P&H.

You have a great company as presented/represented by your Madison County training team and employees. C.L.E.A.R. works!. I hope I can find a spot in your organization in the future, one working directly with people.

Best regards,

Janet Maupin

Company stuck in the 90's

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, VA

I have been working at Plow & Hearth full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some of the corporate positions have some flexibility in schedules, and working remotely can be an option.

Cons

There is practically no training. Most of the departments run in their own bubble, using tools and programs that no one else uses. Make sure you like spreadsheets because project management, all reports, and all tracking is done via spreadsheets. Any initiative to improve the process cross-department that involves tools outside of spreadsheets or MS Word will be impossible to implement as very few people want to take the time to learn and use a better system.

For most salaried positions, the hours are ridiculous because you are expected to do the core hours (8-5) and put in at least another 2-3 hours each night to stay on track.

Most people who work here have been with the company for ages and gossip, back stabbing, and passive-aggressiveness is common.

References to Office Space will not be understood by the majority.

Adapt to the progressing use of technology. Add more people to the IT department and hire more tech people to help the older generation transition to new ways of doing retail and sales.

Would work there again

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Plow & Hearth part-time (less than a year)

Pros

High level of employee support with sales incentives and decent pay for part-time work. The store I worked at was more like a family and the manager took the time to hire the right people for the type of clientele served.

Cons

There could have been better clarity in what the current promotions and sale items were and the register software was from the Stone Age.

The best of both worlds: challenging corporate environment with a small-town, personal feel"

Current Employee - Creative in Madison, VA
    Current Employee - Creative in Madison, VA

I have been working at Plow & Hearth full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Whenever someone asks how I like my job, I have have nothing but good things to say. Plow & Hearth's recruiters found me on LinkedIn and I'm thrilled I made the decision to come on board. This company has a wonderful, friendly atmosphere while offering all the perks of a corporate workplace. I am challenged creatively each day and always feel the support of a healthy, team-driven work environment. As a runner and outdoor enthusiast, I am particularly excited about the newly established walking/ running trail (employees are encouraged to walk daily) and P&H's interest in developing a strong wellness initiative. It is a pleasure to work for a company who cares so much about their customers, employees and community outreach.

Cons

The town of Madison doesn't have many lunch options, but the office is extremely close to a beautiful Virginia winery that has excellent food.

Company and Senior Management Objectives Unrealistic.

I have been working at Plow & Hearth

Pros

Nice retail store.
    Small rewards for retail employees.

Cons

Store receives anywhere from 2 to 3 truck shipments a week and regardless of how large the shipment is, company expects it to be processed in 24 hours. This is unrealistic when the number of hours allotted for the weekly schedule is based on what the store brings in sales wise. The result is that the store is under staffed and since you can't help customers and process new merchandise at the same time, more times than not, the shipment takes much longer to be received. This results in frustration on the part of the manager who can not understand why the shipment takes so long to be processed.

1) Someone from the company needs to come and spend a week at the store to see how things really work on a day to day basis. 2) There needs to be more employees scheduled on any given day and there should be at least two employees designated to unload and process the shipments, and it should be done in the stockroom, not in the store or behind the service counter.

Nice environment but clueless people at the top

I have been working at Plow & Hearth

Pros

Comfortable Atmosphere
    Neat retail store
    Small incentives for retail employees

Cons

Management at the top does not understand how day to day operations work in a store
    There are expectations to sell upgrades, add-ons, and more expensive products, but no commission or bonus pay for it
    The store is a massive safety hazard
    Store is understaffed
    Micromanaged from the top

Understand how things work in a retail store (not sending new memos every hour... send one at the beginning of each day)
    Make safety a priority in stores
    Lower markups so customers are more likely to buy things off the shelf

Started out as a temperary place to work, turned into a full time job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Plow & Hearth

Pros

There are a lot of long term employees, 5-10-15 plus years. The work there overall is fun. The people that you work with are great. Lots of revitalization going on currently.

Cons

There are a lot of long term eployees, so there is not a lot of opportunites for advancement within. A lot of the workers have become complacent because of lenght of emplyment, a lot of employees are there not for the work, but for the paycheck. New blood is needed to freshen up the work force and improve moral. There is quite a bit of depertmentalization.

But what have you done for me lately?

I have been working at Plow & Hearth

Pros

Beautiful location, if you like country life
    Many wonderful coworkers

Cons

New ownership has no experience with direct marketing and has unrealistic expectations for the business. A lot of damage is being done to the brand in the name of profitability.
    Salaried employees, be prepared to work 50, 60, 70+ hours a week and then be told it's still not enough. On a day to day basis, ownership doesn't seem to be sure what they want but it's probably not what they wanted yesterday. If there's a plan, it's not being shared.

Leadership is doing the best they can with what they've been given to work with. It's the ownership that is the problem. Not sure there's anything that can be done about that.

Plow & Hearth's new owners are going to drive the company into the ground.

I worked at Plow & Hearth

Pros

Best reason to work at Plow & Hearth is the location and the people that work there.

Cons

New owners are degrading the quality of the merchandise and the management team.