Plum Creek Timber

Updated Jan 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rick R. Holley

Excellent executive management, trouble below"

Seattle, WA

I have been working at Plum Creek Timber full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExtremely well experienced executive management team and guided the company through the recession very well. Strong growth prospects for the future for the company as a whole. Well diversified geographically and opportunity to grow *if you're in the right business units*.

ConsWith the caveat noted in the Pros section, the company is fairly old and set in its ways. There are some growth opportunities, but only really in its primary business lines (forestry and timber products). Most of the operations are managed out of Montana (Flathead Valley), so if you want to move up in the company you often have to move there on that path. However, there isn't much growth in ANY field. You often have to wait for more senior workers to retire or get jobs elsewhere.

Significant cultural problems in IT. Merit is not often recognized and reviews are subjective, not based on work performed for all employees.

Will only support continuing education within the business line you're currently employed in, and even then it is arbitrary (some get it, some don't, manager's discretion).

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a long, hard look at the review process. Review of this process needs to be handled across business lines to ensure fairness and mitigate arbitrary behavior on the part of senior IT managers. The drive to control costs is good, but good employees shouldn't be sacrificed with BS reviews in order to justify the poor performance of others.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Deer in the headlights

I worked at Plum Creek Timber full-time for more than 8 years

ProsHigh pay, low turnover, 401K and pension plan, renewable resource

ConsSmall & petty management, head in the sand approach to running company as homebuilding represents majority of revenues, unsustainable dividend, is canaballising itself to pay dividend, has sold 20 some percent of assets to pay dividend in last few years, CEO is a bully who only does things his way, next in line CEO is a yes man with no credibility with employees, CFO is a bufoon

Advice to Senior ManagementSkae the trees and let a new breed of employee lead the Company before you sell it all and kill the goose that laid the golden egg, cut the dividend although they won't because the CEO believes you can only cut it once in your career and he did that years and years ago

Not on the cutting edge in technology but managament cares

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee)
Kalispell, MT

I have been working at Plum Creek Timber full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIn the midst of this recession everyone was given a blanket 2% raise to show they cared. We also still get a well run, well funded defined pension program along with a well run 401K. We are always told that management says people first

ConsSmall company with a lot of petty small compay politics. A single person can carry to much churn with a couple of allies.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was told ther other day that a person I work with feels like working for Plum Creek must be a little like what it feels to win the lottery. In these difficult economic times she felt like the top management is looking out for us -- there's not much more that can be added to that.

Good company, no advancement opportunities

I worked at Plum Creek Timber full-time

ProsDowntown Seattle office - great for commuters from all over
Solid management - very little turnover
Stable company, looks good on a resume
Good bonus and benefits package

ConsLack of growth opportunities. Most Finance jobs were either in Arkansas or Montana

Most employees were friendly and helpful, and the pay was good.

I worked at Plum Creek Timber

ProsPlum Creek has some of the best people! Because of the dispersed geography with small offices across the country, it has a small company feel. Many people have worked together for years, especially in the smaller towns, but they also have a welcoming attitude towards new talent.

It is a fairly flat organization, which allows for good communication.

Compensation is good, and the HR team stays current on pay rates in the market. The bonus program is generous and based on performance of the company and individual. Insurance and 401k match are good.

ConsBecause it is a flat organization, it can be difficult to advance. This is not a great place to race up the corporate ladder but is good for people who are willing to stay in their roles for several years.

Another potential downside is that some central functions are primarily based in one location (accounting in Arkansas and Montana, IT in Montana) and employees who work in a different location may feel disconnected from the group.

Employees are treated well

Senior Developer (Current Employee)
Meridian, ID

I have been working at Plum Creek Timber

ProsGood job, well paid and well treated. I don't know what else to say other than I try to do my best work and in return I am treated well and compensated well.

ConsIt is a small company and therefore has the politics and limitations of a small company. If you need a large environment with lots of ways to advance then this place is not for you. If you like the small company atmosphere where everyone knows each each other. It's more like a family than a traaditional corporate environment.

Advice to Senior Managementnone. I'm not plugged in at a level high enough to really have insight for the top tier management.

Good company.

IT (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Plum Creek Timber

ProsGenerous Bonus Program. 3 Weeks vacation to start for senior folks.

ConsIT personnel are mostly in MT. Working in Seattle office can be a disadvantage.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees should be able to review their direct managers to their managers manager.

Worked for Plum Creek Timber? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Plum Creek Timber reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Plum Creek Timber CEO Rick R. Holley. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Plum Creek Timber employees.