Plum District
www.plumdistrict.com San Francisco, CA 16 to 50 Employees

Plum District Reviews

Updated Mar 4, 2014
Plum District – US – “Plum District Lobby”

Susan Kim

Old leadership was awful. I hope the new leadership can turn it around.

San Francisco, CA

I worked at Plum District full-time for less than a year

ProsFun people, cool office, catered lunches, most people are smart

ConsThe daily deal industry is tanking, so it makes no sense to join a company in that space. People are lied to and held in the dark. Leadership is very secretive.

Advice to Senior ManagementAgain, I worked under the old CEO and leadership team, but it was not a well run company. I hear the new CEO is better but it's still a dying industry. I would avoid it.

Exhausting with little reward.

I worked at Plum District full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible, work-from-home position. Loved to meet with the local business owners.

ConsCrazy, stressful environment with insane stipulations from leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect.

Learned a ton. Left disappointed.

Home Office (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Plum District full-time for more than a year

ProsAt Plum District you were never bored. There was always more to do than you had time to do it in. Regardless of how long you'd been there you had a chance to contribute.

ConsRidiculously long hours - seeing colleagues online working at midnight was routine, as was getting work texts at 11:30pm. Mid-to-low pay, especially for the hours. Management was terrible at motivation and worse at transparency. Employee burnout was a constant.

I feel like I work for free, that my talents are being used and abused. Husband says this isn't a job, it's a hobby. Ha

District Consultant (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Plum District as a contractor for more than a year

ProsFlexibility, No sales quotas or pressure to produce

ConsYou don't get paid for your hard work leading up to the sale. Then, your deal you sold runs and not too many people buy, you are left with not much of a reward for your hard work

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer DCs full time positions, pay them what they are worth

Inconsistent

I have been working at Plum District part-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility of schedule, low pressure sales, ability to work from home, offers moms a good work/life balance while using skillset.

ConsDecrease in commission structure, you are required to not only sell and close a deal but then you are only paid if your offer sells in your area which does not always happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain clear and consistent rules and regulations in all areas.

Avoid if you can -- unless you are in sales

I have been working at Plum District full-time for more than a year

ProsFree lunches and good PTO

ConsBrutal culture, senior management is clueless, high voluntary turnover and general lack of understanding of how to build a profitable business. Has had good talent but can't keep them.

Drive but No Respect

I worked at Plum District as a contractor

ProsManagement was unresponsive and difficult to deal with
Slow to settle accounts
Disorganized with poor communication skills
Unreasonable expectations and requests

ConsThe company as a whole has a lot of drive and a will to succeed. Employees are hard working and dedicated to the cause.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow respect to the people who work with and for you

Mom's Against Mom's

District Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Plum District as a contractor

ProsHad a wonderful Regional Manager who put together a great team for our district, was enthusiastic and positive. Very fun to work with.

ConsAlmost all districts were closed down without notice, all were fired. Was supposed to be a company of Mom's about Mom's and my wonderful regional was blocked out of the system as we were having our Monday morning meeting the day after Mother's Day!! Seriously????

Advice to Senior ManagementBe truthful and treat others as you would like to be treated.

Inconsistent direction from management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Plum District as a contractor for less than a year

ProsFree lunch a few times a week and a fully stocked kitchen made working long hours bearable.

ConsThe management team was disorganized and seemed to have no idea how to interact with entry level employees without being condescending. The direction from management was also super inconsistent (i.e. one person assigning a task and another person mandating that you abandon that task and claiming that they've spoken with the task assigner only to hear from the original assigner that the task should have been completed days ago...bizarre I know.)

Sinking ship.

District Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Plum District as a contractor

ProsAbility to work from home, met some good people

ConsEverything that people have said here is true - the turnover is insane. New supervisors every month or so, and constant "restructuring." Finally, in January, all of the part time consultants were told in a conference call that there was no more need for them after the month was over. They were restructuring and going for a full time sales force of four. For the entire country. Since then, lots of turnover in upper management, DCs not getting paid out on deals they closed before they left. I would be shocked if PD was around by the summer. This ship is sinking, fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through on what you tell people. Remember that the moms who are out there working so hard are what made Plum District different from all the other deal sites. Now you are just like them.

Worked for Plum District? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Plum District reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Plum District CEO Susan Kim. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by Plum District employees.