Plum District
www.plumdistrict.com San Francisco, CA 16 to 50 Employees

Plum District Reviews

Updated Mar 4, 2014
Plum District – US – “Plum District Lobby”

Susan Kim

Great Start, learned alot

I have been working at Plum District

ProsThis was a job where I learned and did so much. There was never a moment when I was bored. A lot of room for growth if you work for it. Great people also.

ConsPoor leadership in the beginning

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more key players to keep growing

Mom's Against Mom's

District Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Plum District as a contractor

ProsHad a wonderful Regional Manager who put together a great team for our district, was enthusiastic and positive. Very fun to work with.

ConsAlmost all districts were closed down without notice, all were fired. Was supposed to be a company of Mom's about Mom's and my wonderful regional was blocked out of the system as we were having our Monday morning meeting the day after Mother's Day!! Seriously????

Advice to Senior ManagementBe truthful and treat others as you would like to be treated.

Old leadership was awful. I hope the new leadership can turn it around.

San Francisco, CA

I worked at Plum District full-time for less than a year

ProsFun people, cool office, catered lunches, most people are smart

ConsThe daily deal industry is tanking, so it makes no sense to join a company in that space. People are lied to and held in the dark. Leadership is very secretive.

Advice to Senior ManagementAgain, I worked under the old CEO and leadership team, but it was not a well run company. I hear the new CEO is better but it's still a dying industry. I would avoid it.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Can make an impact

I have been working at Plum District full-time

ProsYou can make a big impact here. I feel like what I do actually matters and that my contributions are recognized. There's enough work to go around that if I see there's a gap or a need, I can be proactive and own it.

ConsThe team is very small and people are feeling overwhelmed. We're definitely making progress in turning around the company, but some additional people to the team would help.

Great Opportunity - Challenging - Never Dull

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Plum District full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility - ability to work remotely
Incredibly intelligent coworkers and management - you can learn a lot just working with them Great opportunities - the people you meet, the companies you work with, the experience you are gaining
Potential for huge success as a company - as a Kleiner Perkins backed company Plum District is well on its way to being more profitable than many other startups including Groupon and Instagram
Always new challenges - you will NEVER be bored
Major improvements in the last six months - New management is experienced and positive. Marketing is being run by some incredible people and you can see the results in a major way

ConsLots of changes. Not always a lot of notice when things are changing. Sometimes repercussions of changes are not thought out well before the changes are implemented.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's important to reward employees according to their performance in order to minimize turnover.

A company that has been reborn with new leadership, vision and enthusiasm without losing its core vision, serving Moms.

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Plum District full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWith Susan Kim and Jennifer Nuckles at the helm, Plum District has morphed into a multimedia platform that offers increased marketing, branding and advertising options to our merchant base, while at the same time engaging our subscribers even more successfully. This allows each merchant to have a unique campaign with Plum District and heightens the user experience. Their new vision makes the job of the sales person easier with a variety of tools at their disposal to acquire new business. A salesperson can pitch a unique promotion and usually the management team will give it a whirl, as creativity is encouraged.

ConsRemote employment does not allow for the office camaraderie that an office environment would foster. East Coast has a 3 hour time lag to West Coast, so there is work into the evening hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs Plum begins to grow again, keep the lines of communication open, so that we can be as nimble and flexible as the company is currently. Keep experimenting and trying new ideas.

Sales

I worked at Plum District full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility, challenging, working with fabulous, intelligent people. Great Brand.

ConsToo many inconsistencies from executive management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry harder to keep good, talented employees.

Marketing

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Plum District full-time for more than a year

Pros--Startup environment provides tons of learning opportunities
--Great team and lots of peer support
--My thoughts and suggestions were extremely accepted. The small-team dynamic made this possible.
--Continued relations with the company. Since leaving Plum District to work on my own company, I've received amazing advice, kindness and support from the team and CEO.
--Work life balance is wonderful! I was encouraged to take vacation (and was even given travel books by my bosses!) and my time was always respected.

ConsThe startup roller coaster can be tough. It can also be hugely fulfilling!

The Real Pivot

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Plum District full-time for more than a year

ProsNew Leadership with fresh and inspiring ideas! Intelligent co-workers. Challenging and motivating work. Room to grow.

ConsThe company went through fast/dramatic changes last year which affected morale. It took new leadership and transparency to re-energize the company.

Inconsistent direction from management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Plum District as a contractor for less than a year

ProsFree lunch a few times a week and a fully stocked kitchen made working long hours bearable.

ConsThe management team was disorganized and seemed to have no idea how to interact with entry level employees without being condescending. The direction from management was also super inconsistent (i.e. one person assigning a task and another person mandating that you abandon that task and claiming that they've spoken with the task assigner only to hear from the original assigner that the task should have been completed days ago...bizarre I know.)

Worked for Plum District? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Plum District reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Plum District CEO Susan Kim. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by Plum District employees.