Plum District Reviews

Brian Conley

1. Ever-Changing Environment with Ability to be Successful if Self-Directed

Former Employee - Sales Management
    Former Employee - Sales Management

Pros

Freedom to work in the way that works for you. Remote work environment. Great sales team.

Cons

Due to the nature of a start-up, the environment at Plum District was constantly changing. The products that were sold, the expectations even the commission rates changed on pretty much a monthly basis.

Advice to Management

Being more connected from top down would help to make life not so uncertain for everyone working "boots on the ground".

2. Great experience

Pros

Amazing company culture, hard working team, great leadership, hands on

Cons

None that I can think of!

3. Great for stay at home moms .

Former Employee - District Consultant in Kingwood, TX
    Former Employee - District Consultant in Kingwood, TX

I worked at Plum District part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reasons to work for Plum District are you can do a lot of work from home. You can set your own schedule .

Cons

The cons of working for plum district are if you have to be a good sales person to make money.

Advice to Management

The employees need to have better training.

5. Easy position, decent pay

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Plum District part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I was there, it was easy work. the Director was easy to get along with - not too much pressure to perform. no micro-mngt. work the hours you want. no benefits, 100% commission based

Cons

Competing against Groupon and Living Social was tough - they'd undercut the rates. Didn't see the future for this business model

Advice to Management

Diversify into other areas - the group coupon fad is over

6. An educational endeavor with an exciting startup focused on marketing to and hiring local women

Pros

Being a startup, all marketing ideas and incentive packages for my local area were considered and given a voice to management. It was fun to try these new ideas and have an immediate response in the local community given the e-platform Plum had designed. It also was a great way to get to know locally owned businesses and help them increase their presence in the Houston market.

Cons

As with many start ups, there were changes in management every month. This made driving certain initiatives at the local level challenging.

Advice to Management

Due to the constant changes in upper management, there was a strong disconnect between those designing the platform and those on the streets making the sales. It was often difficult to move a marketing initiative forward locally before corporate funds were allotted elsewhere and the project canceled.

7. Had All the Potential in the World

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Plum District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people you will work with are AMAZING! I truly developed incredible relationships inside and outside of the office.

Cons

Things are constantly changing. It's a startup that has been funded by a board of investors. The company has not had a break even month to my knowledge and so the board continues to dictate changes to compensation, benefits and more in an effort to cut their costs so that eventually they will at least be able to not lose money. However, that can be quite detrimental to the existing staff.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff as if they are your teammates in achieving profitability and reward them for the hard work they are putting into getting you there. Just a simple "You're doing great!" or "Thanks for working so hard" can go a long way!

8. Great Start, learned alot

Pros

This was a job where I learned and did so much. There was never a moment when I was bored. A lot of room for growth if you work for it. Great people also.

Cons

Poor leadership in the beginning

Advice to Management

Get more key players to keep growing

9. Can make an impact

I have been working at Plum District full-time

Pros

You can make a big impact here. I feel like what I do actually matters and that my contributions are recognized. There's enough work to go around that if I see there's a gap or a need, I can be proactive and own it.

Cons

The team is very small and people are feeling overwhelmed. We're definitely making progress in turning around the company, but some additional people to the team would help.

10. Old leadership was awful. I hope the new leadership can turn it around.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun people, cool office, catered lunches, most people are smart

Cons

The daily deal industry is tanking, so it makes no sense to join a company in that space. People are lied to and held in the dark. Leadership is very secretive.

Advice to Management

Again, I worked under the old CEO and leadership team, but it was not a well run company. I hear the new CEO is better but it's still a dying industry. I would avoid it.

11. Great Opportunity - Challenging - Never Dull

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility - ability to work remotely Incredibly intelligent coworkers and management - you can learn a lot just working with them Great opportunities - the people you meet, the companies you work with, the experience you are gaining Potential for huge success as a company - as a Kleiner Perkins backed company Plum District is well on its way to being more profitable than many other startups including Groupon and Instagram Always new challenges - you will NEVER be bored Major improvements in the last six months - New management is experienced and positive. Marketing is being run by some incredible people and you can see the results in a major way

Cons

Lots of changes. Not always a lot of notice when things are changing. Sometimes repercussions of changes are not thought out well before the changes are implemented.

Advice to Management

It's important to reward employees according to their performance in order to minimize turnover.

RSS Feed </> Embed