Plum District
www.plumdistrict.com San Francisco, CA 16 to 50 Employees

Plum District Reviews

Updated Mar 4, 2014
Plum District – US – “Plum District Lobby”

Susan Kim

Can make an impact

I have been working at Plum District full-time

ProsYou can make a big impact here. I feel like what I do actually matters and that my contributions are recognized. There's enough work to go around that if I see there's a gap or a need, I can be proactive and own it.

ConsThe team is very small and people are feeling overwhelmed. We're definitely making progress in turning around the company, but some additional people to the team would help.

Bumpy like any Startup, but great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Plum District full-time for less than a year

ProsReally smart people, energetic culture, room to grow and explore your ideas. I hear the new management team is really smart and creative.

ConsIt went through some bumpy times like any startup, especially in the daily deal space. People got laid off, it really sucked. But a lot of the things people said on here tended to be rumors that were easily propagated because every one worked from home and spent a lot of time gossiping and freaking out for no reason. They definitely made some REALLY poor decisions, but there were also a lot of incredible people that were trying to do their best.

A company that has been reborn with new leadership, vision and enthusiasm without losing its core vision, serving Moms.

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Plum District full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWith Susan Kim and Jennifer Nuckles at the helm, Plum District has morphed into a multimedia platform that offers increased marketing, branding and advertising options to our merchant base, while at the same time engaging our subscribers even more successfully. This allows each merchant to have a unique campaign with Plum District and heightens the user experience. Their new vision makes the job of the sales person easier with a variety of tools at their disposal to acquire new business. A salesperson can pitch a unique promotion and usually the management team will give it a whirl, as creativity is encouraged.

ConsRemote employment does not allow for the office camaraderie that an office environment would foster. East Coast has a 3 hour time lag to West Coast, so there is work into the evening hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs Plum begins to grow again, keep the lines of communication open, so that we can be as nimble and flexible as the company is currently. Keep experimenting and trying new ideas.

Great Opportunity - Challenging - Never Dull

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Plum District full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility - ability to work remotely
Incredibly intelligent coworkers and management - you can learn a lot just working with them Great opportunities - the people you meet, the companies you work with, the experience you are gaining
Potential for huge success as a company - as a Kleiner Perkins backed company Plum District is well on its way to being more profitable than many other startups including Groupon and Instagram
Always new challenges - you will NEVER be bored
Major improvements in the last six months - New management is experienced and positive. Marketing is being run by some incredible people and you can see the results in a major way

ConsLots of changes. Not always a lot of notice when things are changing. Sometimes repercussions of changes are not thought out well before the changes are implemented.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's important to reward employees according to their performance in order to minimize turnover.

Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Plum District full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility, challenging, working with fabulous, intelligent people. Great Brand.

ConsToo many inconsistencies from executive management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry harder to keep good, talented employees.

Marketing

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Plum District full-time for more than a year

Pros--Startup environment provides tons of learning opportunities
--Great team and lots of peer support
--My thoughts and suggestions were extremely accepted. The small-team dynamic made this possible.
--Continued relations with the company. Since leaving Plum District to work on my own company, I've received amazing advice, kindness and support from the team and CEO.
--Work life balance is wonderful! I was encouraged to take vacation (and was even given travel books by my bosses!) and my time was always respected.

ConsThe startup roller coaster can be tough. It can also be hugely fulfilling!

The Real Pivot

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Plum District full-time for more than a year

ProsNew Leadership with fresh and inspiring ideas! Intelligent co-workers. Challenging and motivating work. Room to grow.

ConsThe company went through fast/dramatic changes last year which affected morale. It took new leadership and transparency to re-energize the company.

Easy opportunity to make a little extra cash every month

District Consultant (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Plum District as a contractor for less than a year

Proslots of spiffs and contests to earn cash, gift cards.
Good regional training sessions and opportunity to meet peers in area

Conscouldn't predict when deals would run - hard to tell client when it'll run when your Regional Manager has authority to change it for any reason. Better deals may bump your deal - even into another month. Hard to predict pay that way.

Great Start, learned alot

I have been working at Plum District

ProsThis was a job where I learned and did so much. There was never a moment when I was bored. A lot of room for growth if you work for it. Great people also.

ConsPoor leadership in the beginning

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more key players to keep growing

It was a great 12months, but it couldn't last

I have been working at Plum District full-time

ProsAs a sales rep, you gain experience in all aspects of the sales cycle and territory management:
- prospecting
- cold calling
- business & market plan development
- territory development
- marketing events
- working with business owners to craft a daily deal that works for their ROI
- telecommuting
- CRM
It was exciting to be part of something new and growing.

ConsIt felt more like an internship than a real position as a full-time sales rep. There was little to no support for sales reps, and constant changing of the company mission. It was difficult to adhere to corporate strategies, as they were ever-changing. There was also minimal training, so unless you are a self-starter and motivator, you have no chance of succeeding or making money.

Worked for Plum District? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Plum District reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Plum District CEO Susan Kim. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by Plum District employees.