Plum District

2.4

Brian Conley

Great experience

I worked at Plum District

Pros

Amazing company culture, hard working team, great leadership, hands on

Cons

None that I can think of!

An educational endeavor with an exciting startup focused on marketing to and hiring local women

I worked at Plum District

Pros

Being a startup, all marketing ideas and incentive packages for my local area were considered and given a voice to management. It was fun to try these new ideas and have an immediate response in the local community given the e-platform Plum had designed. It also was a great way to get to know locally owned businesses and help them increase their presence in the Houston market.

Cons

As with many start ups, there were changes in management every month. This made driving certain initiatives at the local level challenging.

Due to the constant changes in upper management, there was a strong disconnect between those designing the platform and those on the streets making the sales. It was often difficult to move a marketing initiative forward locally before corporate funds were allotted elsewhere and the project canceled.

Can make an impact

I have been working at Plum District full-time

Pros

You can make a big impact here. I feel like what I do actually matters and that my contributions are recognized. There's enough work to go around that if I see there's a gap or a need, I can be proactive and own it.

Cons

The team is very small and people are feeling overwhelmed. We're definitely making progress in turning around the company, but some additional people to the team would help.

Bumpy like any Startup, but great people

I worked at Plum District full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really smart people, energetic culture, room to grow and explore your ideas. I hear the new management team is really smart and creative.

Cons

It went through some bumpy times like any startup, especially in the daily deal space. People got laid off, it really sucked. But a lot of the things people said on here tended to be rumors that were easily propagated because every one worked from home and spent a lot of time gossiping and freaking out for no reason. They definitely made some REALLY poor decisions, but there were also a lot of incredible people that were trying to do their best.

Easy position, decent pay

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Plum District part-time (less than an year)

Pros

When I was there, it was easy work. the Director was easy to get along with - not too much pressure to perform. no micro-mngt. work the hours you want. no benefits, 100% commission based

Cons

Competing against Groupon and Living Social was tough - they'd undercut the rates. Didn't see the future for this business model

Diversify into other areas - the group coupon fad is over

A company that has been reborn with new leadership, vision and enthusiasm without losing its core vision, serving Moms.

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Plum District full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

With Susan Kim and Jennifer Nuckles at the helm, Plum District has morphed into a multimedia platform that offers increased marketing, branding and advertising options to our merchant base, while at the same time engaging our subscribers even more successfully. This allows each merchant to have a unique campaign with Plum District and heightens the user experience. Their new vision makes the job of the sales person easier with a variety of tools at their disposal to acquire new business. A salesperson can pitch a unique promotion and usually the management team will give it a whirl, as creativity is encouraged.

Cons

Remote employment does not allow for the office camaraderie that an office environment would foster. East Coast has a 3 hour time lag to West Coast, so there is work into the evening hours.

As Plum begins to grow again, keep the lines of communication open, so that we can be as nimble and flexible as the company is currently. Keep experimenting and trying new ideas.

Great Opportunity - Challenging - Never Dull

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Plum District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility - ability to work remotely
    Incredibly intelligent coworkers and management - you can learn a lot just working with them Great opportunities - the people you meet, the companies you work with, the experience you are gaining
    Potential for huge success as a company - as a Kleiner Perkins backed company Plum District is well on its way to being more profitable than many other startups including Groupon and Instagram
    Always new challenges - you will NEVER be bored
    Major improvements in the last six months - New management is experienced and positive. Marketing is being run by some incredible people and you can see the results in a major way

Cons

Lots of changes. Not always a lot of notice when things are changing. Sometimes repercussions of changes are not thought out well before the changes are implemented.

It's important to reward employees according to their performance in order to minimize turnover.

Sales

I worked at Plum District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, challenging, working with fabulous, intelligent people. Great Brand.

Cons

Too many inconsistencies from executive management.

Try harder to keep good, talented employees.

Marketing

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Plum District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

--Startup environment provides tons of learning opportunities
    --Great team and lots of peer support
    --My thoughts and suggestions were extremely accepted. The small-team dynamic made this possible.
    --Continued relations with the company. Since leaving Plum District to work on my own company, I've received amazing advice, kindness and support from the team and CEO.
    --Work life balance is wonderful! I was encouraged to take vacation (and was even given travel books by my bosses!) and my time was always respected.

Cons

The startup roller coaster can be tough. It can also be hugely fulfilling!

The Real Pivot

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Plum District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

New Leadership with fresh and inspiring ideas! Intelligent co-workers. Challenging and motivating work. Room to grow.

Cons

The company went through fast/dramatic changes last year which affected morale. It took new leadership and transparency to re-energize the company.

Plum District Photos