Plum District Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. A company that has been reborn with new leadership, vision and enthusiasm without losing its core vision, serving Moms.

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Plum District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

With Susan Kim and Jennifer Nuckles at the helm, Plum District has morphed into a multimedia platform that offers increased marketing, branding and advertising options to our merchant base, while at the same time engaging our subscribers even more successfully. This allows each merchant to have a unique campaign with Plum District and heightens the user experience. Their new vision makes the job of the sales person easier with a variety of tools at their disposal to acquire new business. A salesperson can pitch a unique promotion and usually the management team will give it a whirl, as creativity is encouraged.

Cons

Remote employment does not allow for the office camaraderie that an office environment would foster. East Coast has a 3 hour time lag to West Coast, so there is work into the evening hours.

Advice to Management

As Plum begins to grow again, keep the lines of communication open, so that we can be as nimble and flexible as the company is currently. Keep experimenting and trying new ideas.

2. Sales

I worked at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, challenging, working with fabulous, intelligent people. Great Brand.

Cons

Too many inconsistencies from executive management.

Advice to Management

Try harder to keep good, talented employees.

3. Marketing

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

--Startup environment provides tons of learning opportunities --Great team and lots of peer support --My thoughts and suggestions were extremely accepted. The small-team dynamic made this possible. --Continued relations with the company. Since leaving Plum District to work on my own company, I've received amazing advice, kindness and support from the team and CEO. --Work life balance is wonderful! I was encouraged to take vacation (and was even given travel books by my bosses!) and my time was always respected.

Cons

The startup roller coaster can be tough. It can also be hugely fulfilling!

5. Bumpy like any Startup, but great people

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really smart people, energetic culture, room to grow and explore your ideas. I hear the new management team is really smart and creative.

Cons

It went through some bumpy times like any startup, especially in the daily deal space. People got laid off, it really sucked. But a lot of the things people said on here tended to be rumors that were easily propagated because every one worked from home and spent a lot of time gossiping and freaking out for no reason. They definitely made some REALLY poor decisions, but there were also a lot of incredible people that were trying to do their best.

6. The Real Pivot

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New Leadership with fresh and inspiring ideas! Intelligent co-workers. Challenging and motivating work. Room to grow.

Cons

The company went through fast/dramatic changes last year which affected morale. It took new leadership and transparency to re-energize the company.

7. Exhausting with little reward.

I worked at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, work-from-home position. Loved to meet with the local business owners.

Cons

Crazy, stressful environment with insane stipulations from leadership.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect.

8. Pretty on the outside but hideously ugly on the inside..

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bay area start up backed by KP sounds cool to your friends and on a resume. Decent health benefits. Free snacks and beverages. Overall, the talent at the company was exceptional (minus senior management but they were for the most part in over their heads) and I was fortunate to meet some fantastic, wickedly entertaining people. Generous vacation time but you would probably be fired upon your return as the company was always "moving in another direction." Generally, that direction was down. This company managed to truly find some of the best and brightest in cities across the US dedicated to building something that turned out to be a poo sandwich. Lots of good looking people. Even the Board commented on the overall attractiveness of the company. Sadly, it wasn't a magazine shoot so it was a moot point. You will never look at the word "deal" in the same way again.

Cons

Tired idea. Everything you read on here is completely accurate, and if anything, people are being kind. Not a sales organization. The turnover was laughable. It wasn't necessary to get to know people's names as they probably weren't going to be around for the next conference call. Feedback was constantly solicited but no one was interested in addressing obvious issues or listening.

Advice to Management

Seriously, this is an antiquated concept that is contracting versus growing. I hope someone has figured that much out at the company, but you never know.

9. Learned a ton. Left disappointed.

Former Employee - Home Office in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Home Office in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Plum District you were never bored. There was always more to do than you had time to do it in. Regardless of how long you'd been there you had a chance to contribute.

Cons

Ridiculously long hours - seeing colleagues online working at midnight was routine, as was getting work texts at 11:30pm. Mid-to-low pay, especially for the hours. Management was terrible at motivation and worse at transparency. Employee burnout was a constant.

10. Terrible Experience

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home Made connections with female sales pro's in other parts if the country

Cons

CEO, Megan is mean and belittles sales people and managers in front of others, used to get the entire team on a call and give sales reviews to individual managers. Expect you to work 24-7 for very little pay E-mails were sent to Managers at all hours of the night, would wake up with a full in-box of e-mails received from 1AM - 4AM Have to use your own lap-top and office equipment If you are not located in San Fran don't expect to get promoted or taken seriously Fired all management expect a few chosen ones only to rehire a few months later Poor business plan Sales goals are not clear and defined Often ask Managers to step down into unpaid part-time sales people Unrealistic Expectations in an uncertain industry

Advice to Management

Deal with Megan Set clear goals for employees Stop Firing at will

Woefully unqualified CEO + zero leaders with any online ecommerce experience = Disaster

Former Employee - Former Corporate Office Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Former Corporate Office Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn about chaos and fast-paced environment of start-up Lunch 3 days a week Smart, talented co-workers Potential of Plum District in the marketplace KPCB-backed

Cons

CEO is smart but not qualified to run the company and a board who would talk about her behind her back but never removed her Botched acquisition and non-integration of 2 companies Poor communication and leadership accountability Poor decision-making by CEO and leadership - none have had online ecommerce experience Zero transparency into goals and strategy of company Never a plan in place to actually make money No sales strategy ever put in place - esp when Megan ran sales Zero understanding of marketing, including acquisition, promotions, retention Very poor understanding of how to treat people - and I believe I was one of the ones who was treated relatively well

Advice to Management

Since Plum District isn't hiring, and management doesn't really care about views of anyone, just that I will remember my experience here and never work with anyone in this leadership team again and will encourage others to do so as well. I am most disappointed by the board, who are experienced enough to know when someone is giving them the runaround, and should have yanked the CEO out of her role long ago.

RSS Feed </> Embed