Plum District

Updated August 23, 2014
2.1

Susan Kim

Inconsistent direction from management

I worked at Plum District as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Free lunch a few times a week and a fully stocked kitchen made working long hours bearable.

Cons

The management team was disorganized and seemed to have no idea how to interact with entry level employees without being condescending. The direction from management was also super inconsistent (i.e. one person assigning a task and another person mandating that you abandon that task and claiming that they've spoken with the task assigner only to hear from the original assigner that the task should have been completed days ago...bizarre I know.)

Sales

I worked at Plum District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, challenging, working with fabulous, intelligent people. Great Brand.

Cons

Too many inconsistencies from executive management.

Try harder to keep good, talented employees.

Marketing

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Plum District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

--Startup environment provides tons of learning opportunities
    --Great team and lots of peer support
    --My thoughts and suggestions were extremely accepted. The small-team dynamic made this possible.
    --Continued relations with the company. Since leaving Plum District to work on my own company, I've received amazing advice, kindness and support from the team and CEO.
    --Work life balance is wonderful! I was encouraged to take vacation (and was even given travel books by my bosses!) and my time was always respected.

Cons

The startup roller coaster can be tough. It can also be hugely fulfilling!

Bumpy like any Startup, but great people

I worked at Plum District full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really smart people, energetic culture, room to grow and explore your ideas. I hear the new management team is really smart and creative.

Cons

It went through some bumpy times like any startup, especially in the daily deal space. People got laid off, it really sucked. But a lot of the things people said on here tended to be rumors that were easily propagated because every one worked from home and spent a lot of time gossiping and freaking out for no reason. They definitely made some REALLY poor decisions, but there were also a lot of incredible people that were trying to do their best.

The Real Pivot

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Plum District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

New Leadership with fresh and inspiring ideas! Intelligent co-workers. Challenging and motivating work. Room to grow.

Cons

The company went through fast/dramatic changes last year which affected morale. It took new leadership and transparency to re-energize the company.

Sinking ship.

I worked at Plum District as a contractor

Pros

Ability to work from home, met some good people

Cons

Everything that people have said here is true - the turnover is insane. New supervisors every month or so, and constant "restructuring." Finally, in January, all of the part time consultants were told in a conference call that there was no more need for them after the month was over. They were restructuring and going for a full time sales force of four. For the entire country. Since then, lots of turnover in upper management, DCs not getting paid out on deals they closed before they left. I would be shocked if PD was around by the summer. This ship is sinking, fast.

Follow through on what you tell people. Remember that the moms who are out there working so hard are what made Plum District different from all the other deal sites. Now you are just like them.

Exhausting with little reward.

I worked at Plum District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible, work-from-home position. Loved to meet with the local business owners.

Cons

Crazy, stressful environment with insane stipulations from leadership.

Treat your employees with respect.

Pretty on the outside but hideously ugly on the inside..

I worked at Plum District full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Bay area start up backed by KP sounds cool to your friends and on a resume. Decent health benefits. Free snacks and beverages. Overall, the talent at the company was exceptional (minus senior management but they were for the most part in over their heads) and I was fortunate to meet some fantastic, wickedly entertaining people. Generous vacation time but you would probably be fired upon your return as the company was always "moving in another direction." Generally, that direction was down. This company managed to truly find some of the best and brightest in cities across the US dedicated to building something that turned out to be a poo sandwich. Lots of good looking people. Even the Board commented on the overall attractiveness of the company. Sadly, it wasn't a magazine shoot so it was a moot point. You will never look at the word "deal" in the same way again.

Cons

Tired idea. Everything you read on here is completely accurate, and if anything, people are being kind. Not a sales organization. The turnover was laughable. It wasn't necessary to get to know people's names as they probably weren't going to be around for the next conference call. Feedback was constantly solicited but no one was interested in addressing obvious issues or listening.

Seriously, this is an antiquated concept that is contracting versus growing. I hope someone has figured that much out at the company, but you never know.

What a horrible experience.

Former Employee - Regional Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Manager

I worked at Plum District full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm struggling with anything positive about this company. I guess it would be the co-workers that I came in contact with. That is about it.

Cons

* What kind of company knows they are firing all of their Regional Managers, flies them out for a 'meeting', sucks all of the information out of these hard working professionals under the pretense of training- knowing they are going fire them later that week?
    *They hired people knowing they would fire them (within the month of hiring them) in order to make themselves look profitable.

You've ruined peoples careers. I know many think this type of stuff happens in all companies, but no- this is not your typical downsizing excuse- this is a poster child for an unethical 'corporation'.
    Beware of this company and Megan Gardner.

I will never get the past year of my life back

Former Employee - District Consultant

I worked at Plum District part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Only the description of the position... we were supposed to be working WITH LOCAL business owners. Quickly, that changed and only those Consultants with national offers with big companies were praised and (financially) rewarded.

Cons

Waste of time
    Compensation plan was lowered again and again
    No training
    Constant turn-over of Managers.... I had five in less than a year.
    Treat business owners terribly... I was EMBARRASSED to be associated with Plum District. I would NEVER treat partners poorly.

Close down.