Plum District Reviews

Reset

1. Great Opportunity - Challenging - Never Dull

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility - ability to work remotely Incredibly intelligent coworkers and management - you can learn a lot just working with them Great opportunities - the people you meet, the companies you work with, the experience you are gaining Potential for huge success as a company - as a Kleiner Perkins backed company Plum District is well on its way to being more profitable than many other startups including Groupon and Instagram Always new challenges - you will NEVER be bored Major improvements in the last six months - New management is experienced and positive. Marketing is being run by some incredible people and you can see the results in a major way

Cons

Lots of changes. Not always a lot of notice when things are changing. Sometimes repercussions of changes are not thought out well before the changes are implemented.

Advice to Management

It's important to reward employees according to their performance in order to minimize turnover.

2. Sales

I worked at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, challenging, working with fabulous, intelligent people. Great Brand.

Cons

Too many inconsistencies from executive management.

Advice to Management

Try harder to keep good, talented employees.

3. Marketing

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

--Startup environment provides tons of learning opportunities --Great team and lots of peer support --My thoughts and suggestions were extremely accepted. The small-team dynamic made this possible. --Continued relations with the company. Since leaving Plum District to work on my own company, I've received amazing advice, kindness and support from the team and CEO. --Work life balance is wonderful! I was encouraged to take vacation (and was even given travel books by my bosses!) and my time was always respected.

Cons

The startup roller coaster can be tough. It can also be hugely fulfilling!

5. Bumpy like any Startup, but great people

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really smart people, energetic culture, room to grow and explore your ideas. I hear the new management team is really smart and creative.

Cons

It went through some bumpy times like any startup, especially in the daily deal space. People got laid off, it really sucked. But a lot of the things people said on here tended to be rumors that were easily propagated because every one worked from home and spent a lot of time gossiping and freaking out for no reason. They definitely made some REALLY poor decisions, but there were also a lot of incredible people that were trying to do their best.

6. The Real Pivot

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New Leadership with fresh and inspiring ideas! Intelligent co-workers. Challenging and motivating work. Room to grow.

Cons

The company went through fast/dramatic changes last year which affected morale. It took new leadership and transparency to re-energize the company.

7. Exhausting with little reward.

I worked at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, work-from-home position. Loved to meet with the local business owners.

Cons

Crazy, stressful environment with insane stipulations from leadership.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect.

8. Pretty on the outside but hideously ugly on the inside..

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bay area start up backed by KP sounds cool to your friends and on a resume. Decent health benefits. Free snacks and beverages. Overall, the talent at the company was exceptional (minus senior management but they were for the most part in over their heads) and I was fortunate to meet some fantastic, wickedly entertaining people. Generous vacation time but you would probably be fired upon your return as the company was always "moving in another direction." Generally, that direction was down. This company managed to truly find some of the best and brightest in cities across the US dedicated to building something that turned out to be a poo sandwich. Lots of good looking people. Even the Board commented on the overall attractiveness of the company. Sadly, it wasn't a magazine shoot so it was a moot point. You will never look at the word "deal" in the same way again.

Cons

Tired idea. Everything you read on here is completely accurate, and if anything, people are being kind. Not a sales organization. The turnover was laughable. It wasn't necessary to get to know people's names as they probably weren't going to be around for the next conference call. Feedback was constantly solicited but no one was interested in addressing obvious issues or listening.

Advice to Management

Seriously, this is an antiquated concept that is contracting versus growing. I hope someone has figured that much out at the company, but you never know.

9. What a horrible experience.

Former Employee - Regional Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Manager

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm struggling with anything positive about this company. I guess it would be the co-workers that I came in contact with. That is about it.

Cons

* What kind of company knows they are firing all of their Regional Managers, flies them out for a 'meeting', sucks all of the information out of these hard working professionals under the pretense of training- knowing they are going fire them later that week? *They hired people knowing they would fire them (within the month of hiring them) in order to make themselves look profitable.

Advice to Management

You've ruined peoples careers. I know many think this type of stuff happens in all companies, but no- this is not your typical downsizing excuse- this is a poster child for an unethical 'corporation'. Beware of this company and Megan Gardner.

10. I will never get the past year of my life back

Former Employee - District Consultant
    Former Employee - District Consultant

I worked at Plum District part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only the description of the position... we were supposed to be working WITH LOCAL business owners. Quickly, that changed and only those Consultants with national offers with big companies were praised and (financially) rewarded.

Cons

Waste of time Compensation plan was lowered again and again No training Constant turn-over of Managers.... I had five in less than a year. Treat business owners terribly... I was EMBARRASSED to be associated with Plum District. I would NEVER treat partners poorly.

Advice to Management

Close down.

11. What a let down!

Former Employee - Upper Management
    Former Employee - Upper Management

I worked at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Forced to self teach and therefore learned a lot.

Cons

Most everything about company was a "con."

Advice to Management

You have had the best of the best work for you. It is sad that you took advantage of them!

RSS Feed </> Embed